Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #411
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,267

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Of course. I was speaking in shorthand.

    The problem of income inequality has many causes and will require multivalent policies to address (over a long period). But a sharply progressive income tax is a good place to start. And besides, it shakes up the Rightwing mentality to hear somebody defend tax increases on the rich on purely economic grounds.
    And the end of your proposed 'multivalent policies' what will income distribution look like?

  2. #412
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,217

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Of course. I was speaking in shorthand.

    The problem of income inequality has many causes and will require multivalent policies to address (over a long period). But a sharply progressive income tax is a good place to start. And besides, it shakes up the Rightwing mentality to hear somebody defend tax increases on the rich on purely economic grounds.

    How does a sharp increase in marginal rates adress " income inequality " ?

    How exactly does that work ?

  3. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I don't think that anyone has denied that, but that fact is no indicator that the percentage of retired people who are not in the workforce and who are over 65, is increasing and will continue to increase.
    Umm..I think LOTS of people have (both on and off this board)...

    'Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    You could, but as I've already shown, I don't see the point. I believe it was Kush who, either in this thread or another, posted the link to the information which showed nearly half of the drop in participation rate can be attributed to retirees and I know I've seen the graph which shows how the participation rate has dropped since around 2000 multiple times.'


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1063835410

    Read the chart on the link I provided above please...the ONLY areas that have dropped in LFPR between 1992 and 2012 are UNDER 55.

    It is mathematically impossible for a total percentage to be affected downwards by an additional positive percentage figure if the latter is higher then the total percentage figure.

    I.e. It is mathematically impossible for the over 65 LFPR that is growing to force the total LFPR downwards.
    Last edited by DA60; 10-07-14 at 05:23 PM.

  4. #414
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,967

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    It is mathematically impossible for a total percentage to be affected downwards by an additional positive percentage figure.

    I.e. It is mathematically impossible for the over 65 LFPR that is growing to force the total LFPR downwards.
    It is not mathematically impossible, unless you are incapable of understanding basic mathematics. I've already proven to you how it is possible, but of course, you chose to ignore it, like you always do when your argument is destroyed.

    The flaw in your premise is to assume an equal proportion of age demographics from one set of numbers to the next. The problem is, as has been pointed out, the Baby Boomer generation skews those proportions and thus your comment is false.

    I'll tell you what. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you just didn't consider how changing demographics would affect your statement. But now that it has been brought to your attention, I will expect a "oh, I didn't consider that, let me do more research".

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    And the end of your proposed 'multivalent policies' what will income distribution look like?
    A generally prosperous society, without the extremes of poverty we see now, and a robust middle class.

    Anathema for conservatives, I know.

  6. #416
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Our workforce shrank, there are still tens of millions out there without a job.

    For example no one is going to hire a 52 year old accountant that has been out of work for 3 years or was bookkeeping on and off for small businesses over that time period....

    There as so many that have absolutely ZERO job prospects due to the fact they've been out of the game for so long....... And meanwhile these assholes seriously attempt to claim the economy is growing???? well that is just ****ing impossible when tens of millions are still out of work (15-20 million)..... Sure I'm sure it's growing but growing from what exactly? You know when you're at rock bottom the only way to go is up right?

    I swear this mimics the the years prior to the collapse of the USSR..... You have one group that has jobs and another group that doesn't..

  7. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Our workforce shrank, there are still tens of millions out there without a job.

    For example no one is going to hire a 52 year old accountant that has been out of work for 3 years or was bookkeeping on and off for small businesses over that time period....

    There as so many that have absolutely ZERO job prospects due to the fact they've been out of the game for so long....... And meanwhile these assholes seriously attempt to claim the economy is growing???? well that is just ****ing impossible when tens of millions are still out of work (15-20 million)..... Sure I'm sure it's growing but growing from what exactly? You know when you're at rock bottom the only way to go is up right?

    I swear this mimics the the years prior to the collapse of the USSR..... You have one group that has jobs and another group that doesn't..
    And the rightwing answer to this: more tax cuts for the rich, more deregulation, more anti-union legislation -- all the things the resulted in the collapse.

    There's a word for that.

  8. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    And the rightwing answer to this: more tax cuts for the rich, more deregulation, more anti-union legislation -- all the things the resulted in the collapse.

    There's a word for that.
    The rich don't get "tax cuts" and if it matters the rich pay for 80 percent of the revenue generated by the government....

    Of course we need more deregulation - regulation is nothing more than bureaucracy and in some situations used as a political tool, not to mention at times could be considered extortion.

    Besides regulation does NOTHING but KILL JOBS..... Open your eyes do you really think this government is benevolent? If you want my opinion it seems democrats enjoy punishing businesses both big and small because they HATE capitalism and create all these ABC agencies to clamp down on free market principals, while people like you sit back and clap your hands....

    If you don't know - regulations didn't build this nation from NOTHING free market ideas did.

    BTW, since you're an alleged socialist you should see the failures in your socialism considering these socialist "super powers" either collapsed or were forced into a free market economic model....

    Understand that the economic model you stand for failed every time it was tried?
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 10-07-14 at 05:48 PM.

  9. #419
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,217

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    And the rightwing answer to this: more tax cuts for the rich, more deregulation, more anti-union legislation -- all the things the resulted in the collapse.

    There's a word for that.

    Lie, thats the " word "

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Umm..I think LOTS of people have (both on and off this board)...

    'Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    You could, but as I've already shown, I don't see the point. I believe it was Kush who, either in this thread or another, posted the link to the information which showed nearly half of the drop in participation rate can be attributed to retirees and I know I've seen the graph which shows how the participation rate has dropped since around 2000 multiple times.'


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1063835410

    Read the chart on the link I provided above please...the ONLY areas that have dropped in LFPR between 1992 and 2012 are UNDER 55.

    It is mathematically impossible for a total percentage to be affected downwards by an additional positive percentage figure if the latter is higher then the total percentage figure.

    I.e. It is mathematically impossible for the over 65 LFPR that is growing to force the total LFPR downwards.
    Okay, I see the flaw in what I said.

    What I said was true, but considering the over 65 LFPR is lower, that would drop the total LFPR.

    My apologies.

Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •