Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #401
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,332

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Increase rates on the top bracket. Tax problem solved, and job problem solved, as locked up capital gets back into the economy.


    How does giving the Government more of the " Rich " peoples money solve the job problem ?

    Or the " Tax problem " ??

  2. #402
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,571

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Increase rates on the top bracket. Tax problem solved, and job problem solved, as locked up capital gets back into the economy.
    'locked up ' capital. LAFF
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people think rich people hoard money in matresses or something.

  3. #403
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    How does giving the Government more of the " Rich " peoples money solve the job problem ?

    Or the " Tax problem " ??
    If your position is that job growth is low due to the federal deficit, then yes, it would help solve the job problem.

    If we increased the taxes of the rich to offset tax cuts for the middle class, then yes again, it may be a deficit trade off but shifting money into the hands of those who have the highest propensity to spend the marginal dollar would increase demand and thus increase business expansion.

    If we increased taxation on the rich to expand infrastructure spending, then yes, more jobs would be created directly due to the infrastructure spending and indirection because businesses need infrastructure to expand.

    If we increased taxation on the rich to provide more economic benefits to everyone, then it would also result in an increase in demand, and thus business expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #404
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by KLATTU View Post
    'locked up ' capital. LAFF
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people think rich people hoard money in matresses or something.
    When cash is invested in non-productive investments, then it might as well be in a matress as it is essentially removed from our main street economy, resulting in little if any additional demand. Businesses don't expand unless there is adequate demand to justify them doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #405
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    The economy did not reach pre-recession levels of private investment until last year. There were 2.33 million jobs created from Sept 2013 to Sept 2014.
    Yup...but of those 2.33 million...

    1,114,000 were over 55

    And the top earning age group - 45-54 - only gained 73,000.
    So the most important age group (financially) accounted for only (by my calculations) 3.1% of the total employment gains despite being 22.2% of the total number of employed.

    And the 16-24 age group only gained 54,000...hardly bodes well for the future.

  6. #406
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    So prove it!

    Find the multiplicative factor for both labor force and the total population, and use it to smooth population dynamics so that you can accurately compare population trends from 1995 with 2013. A less accurate, but easier approach would be to use averages for both population and employment. Then compare the differences for the over 55 cohort.

    Or..... you can just use that data provided in the White House's research. They take an even more methodical approach, using lifecycle data among multiple cohort groups to weed out consistencies in participation as a function of age. If that isn't enough, the authors include two additional methods of modeling: Time Series and Structural Micro-Data modeling.

    The authors were detailed enough to analyze other factors influencing labor force participation; cyclical and residual, employing both Time Series and Multivariate linear analysis.

    Their results have been provided multiple times in this thread.

    Attachment 67174009
    I just found this on the BLS website:

    Civilian labor force participation rates by age, sex, race, and ethnicity

    Unless I am reading this wrong, it says that the Labor Force Participation Rate for those over 65 went from 13.2% to 18.5% between 2002 and 2012.

    What do you say now?

  7. #407
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,332

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    If your position is that job growth is low due to the federal deficit, then yes, it would help solve the job problem.

    If we increased the taxes of the rich to offset tax cuts for the middle class, then yes again, it may be a deficit trade off but shifting money into the hands of those who have the highest propensity to spend the marginal dollar would increase demand and thus increase business expansion.

    If we increased taxation on the rich to expand infrastructure spending, then yes, more jobs would be created directly due to the infrastructure spending and indirection because businesses need infrastructure to expand.

    If we increased taxation on the rich to provide more economic benefits to everyone, then it would also result in an increase in demand, and thus business expansion.
    First, all of your examples are trade offs. Your advocating the redistribution of other peoples property via the Government. Your pulling wealth out of the economy so you can put it back in with the Federal government being the final arbiter of where that money needs to go.

    Bad idea. REAL bad idea.

    Anyway , increase spending on infrastructure is just a liberal false narrative. Not much to back up the claim that it actually works.

    Plus, Obama is suffering from a little bit of a credibility issue after his " shovel ready " lie.

    Increasing the taxes on the rich to provide better " economic benefits " ?

    Who would " provide " those benefits ? The Government ? Thats just crazy.

    You guys need to wake up and realize the rich will always have other options than to bow down and participate on some left wing redistribution agenda.

    Capital is more easy to move around than ever, and now we have the emerging markets that excess capital can disappear into.

  8. #408
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I just found this on the BLS website:

    Civilian labor force participation rates by age, sex, race, and ethnicity

    Unless I am reading this wrong, it says that the Labor Force Participation Rate for those over 65 went from 13.2% to 18.5% between 2002 and 2012.

    What do you say now?
    I don't think that anyone has denied that, but that fact is no indicator that the percentage of retired people who are not in the workforce and who are over 65, is increasing and will continue to increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #409
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,332

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I just found this on the BLS website:

    Civilian labor force participation rates by age, sex, race, and ethnicity

    Unless I am reading this wrong, it says that the Labor Force Participation Rate for those over 65 went from 13.2% to 18.5% between 2002 and 2012.

    What do you say now?
    Wait, that CAN'T be right !

    Janet Yellen did a study and everything that said there was a acute mass retiring happening right before our eyes.

    And we know she's objective.....

    Good find DA !

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    It's more complicated than that. The top single tax bracket tops out @ $400,001. Should a person earning $400,001 pay the same rate as a person earning $40 million?
    Of course. I was speaking in shorthand.

    The problem of income inequality has many causes and will require multivalent policies to address (over a long period). But a sharply progressive income tax is a good place to start. And besides, it shakes up the Rightwing mentality to hear somebody defend tax increases on the rich on purely economic grounds.

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •