Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #351
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Simple is right. Except you are wrong

    Investing in Stock Buybacks, Not People

    Its not their fault that the US economy is such a risky investment opportunity.

    If you want a honest analysis of how sick or healthy this economy REALLY is just follow the money.

    Or the investment decisions that are being made by organizations who are protecting their assets.

  2. #352
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Your graph is fine and great, but you're not addressing the nuances and problems with the participation rate itself. For example, one historic explanation for the decline in the participation rate of 18-24 year olds is that more people in this age bracket have enrolled in school, skewing the participation rate of this age bracket downwards for a positive reason. How can you then argue that the increase of older workers participating in the labor force is a bad thing when the jobs younger workers would take are empty because they're all at school?

    Further, how do you address the argument that older workers have increasingly participated in the workforce since 1990 because of the erosion of private pension systems and the lack of preparation for retirement, something that has nothing to do with partisan politics? In fact, on this point it's pretty clear that LFP in the older age bracket is a long term trend and not something you can blame on Obama. You've sort of argued against yourself here.

    EDIT: Further, the graph you've presented shows 55+ LFP pretty much maxing out around 2009/2010. This rise in LFP, demographically speaking, is due to the number of people moving into the age bracket, and now that the baby boomer generation is starting to reach old age we'll see LFP in this age bracket level off (already have seen this) and start to decline.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 10-06-14 at 12:41 PM.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Your graph is fine and great, but you're not addressing the nuances and problems with the participation rate itself. For example, one historic explanation for the decline in the participation rate of 18-24 year olds is that more people in this age bracket have enrolled in school, skewing the participation rate of this age bracket downwards for a positive reason. How can you then argue that the increase of older workers participating in the labor force is a bad thing when the jobs younger workers would take are empty because they're all at school?

    Further, how do you address the argument that older workers have increasingly participated in the workforce since 1990 because of the erosion of private pension systems and the lack of preparation for retirement, something that has nothing to do with partisan politics? In fact, on this point it's pretty clear that LFP in the older age bracket is a long term trend and not something you can blame on Obama. You've sort of argued against yourself here.
    For the record:

    I am not just blaming Obama...not in the slightest.

    I blame him AND GW Bush AND the Fed AND Congress (for letting the above do what they are/have done).

    This madness started well before Obama...but he is the one who is in office now.

    Please believe me, if the next guy/gal in the WH is as inept as the last two, I will blame him/her as well (along with the Fed).

    I don't care who is in the White House, just as long as they do a good job.


    Good day.
    Last edited by DA60; 10-06-14 at 12:47 PM.

  4. #354
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    So Corporations are NOT buying back massive amounts of their outstanding shares ?

    I believe since 2008, they've devoted 52 cents of every dollar of profit and cash flow to the repurchase of shares.
    Share buybacks represented roughly 35% of all free cash flow and short term cash equivalents in 2013. Here is a good take on the situation.

    FWIW, private nonresidential fixed investment does not include share buybacks and dividends.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #355
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    For the record:

    I am not just blaming Obama...not in the slightest.

    I blame him AND GW Bush AND the Fed AND Congress (for letting the above do what they are/have done).

    This madness started well before Obama...but he is the one who is in office now.

    Please believe me, if the next guy/gal in the WH is as inept as the last two, I will blame him/her as well (along with the Fed).


    Good day.
    Okay but I don't see how your argument is consistent then. Here was your argument:

    It's not so much the numbers of jobs created/lost that I find astounding...it's the ratio of over 55 to under 55 (over 7:1) that I find so concerning.

    Maybe this should be called the 'Obama seniors recovery'.
    You're not addressing the nuances in the LFPR. For example, this increase could be a good thing in the sense that the under 55 LFP has dropped due to enrollment in education.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  6. #356
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Baby boomers!

    What is your point?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #357
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Simple is right. Except you are wrong

    Investing in Stock Buybacks, Not People
    The data i provided does not include share buybacks or dividends.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #358
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,130

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Okay but I don't see how your argument is consistent then. Here was your argument:



    You're not addressing the nuances in the LFPR. For example, this increase could be a good thing in the sense that the under 55 LFP has dropped due to enrollment in education.
    Such a high increase in continued education is indicative of unemployablity with a four year degree; these are 26 year olds, still living at home, that are going back for their Masters and Ph.D.s because they can't find a job...and they're doing it with enormous loads of additional student debt. These "masters" will end up, in the long run, as marginally better paid slaves.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Okay but I don't see how your argument is consistent then. Here was your argument:



    You're not addressing the nuances in the LFPR. For example, this increase could be a good thing in the sense that the under 55 LFP has dropped due to enrollment in education.
    My posting of that chart had but one purpose, to show that roughly half the reason the LFPR was dropping was not due to Americans retiring.

    Hey, up until a few days ago...I thought that statement was true.

    Just as I was also surprised - and disturbed - that such a huge percentage of the new employment in America since the Great Depression 'officially' ended has gone towards over 55's compared to under 55's (over 7:1).

    Who cares whose fault it is...it has to be reversed or at least balanced out for America's future, imo.


    Btw...thanks for being civil (for once).
    Last edited by DA60; 10-06-14 at 01:01 PM.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Because facts don't matter to you.

    In fact, the August jobs report was revised upweard,
    showing the President actually should be blamed for hurting his party low-balling the jobs report .
    Keep grasping at those invisible straws.

Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •