Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #21
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,852

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    I'm surprised that no one here connected the dots for a decrease in unemployment. Congress refused to extend unemployment benefits as they have in the past few years. As people's unemployment benefits run out, they start looking for a job and all of sudden aren't so picky at what they will take which coincides with the disappointing wages and an average workweek of 34 hours also stated in the OP article of new jobs.

  2. #22
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Oatmeal Butterscotch.....mmmmmm


    With a nice big glass of ice-cold milk.

  3. #23
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I'm surprised that no one here connected the dots for a decrease in unemployment.
    Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with a stronger overall economy, higher profit margins for employers, increased private domestic investment, etc....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #24
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Because the less of your population you have participating in the labor force, the more difficulty you have maintaining the standard of living for those who are dependent on taxpayer monies for survival. We have an ever-growing requirement, and a stagnating resource.
    Those who drop out drop out because they have some other means of support, or maybe because they simply don't desire to work anymore.

    Like retirees, parents who home school their children, etc.

    As our productivity per hour continues to increase, our economy will need fewer and fewer workers to produce the same amount or even more goods. This decline in lfpr is much more a sociology issue than it is an economic issue. The positive thing about it is that it frees up jobs for those of us who actually need to work to support ourselves. And as our lfpr further declines, it tightens the labor market so that employers have to start competing harder for workers, and wages go up.

    Once the unemployment rate drops below 5%, wage increases should start exceeding inflation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #25
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    If Obama made it rain cookies some people on the right would complain about a milk shortage.
    Top 3 excuses

    1) People not looking for a job anymore

    2) People are not making what they use to

    3) BENGHAZI !!!!!!!!

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  6. #26
    User BringIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    08-12-15 @ 10:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    114

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    So why did they cook the books to make the Labor Force Participation rate lower? It seems odd that you claim cooking the books but then cite the very same people as support for your position.
    Easy! This Administration has a long record of data manipulation.

    The heads are still counted, they just shift them into a different category.

    Here's a good article (Don't worry, it has pretty pictures and graphs for those of you that don't like to read and only get your news from sound bites.)


    How The Government Manipulates Unemployment Statistics


    ... the government is effectively saying that because the job situation has been so bad for many millions of unemployed people in their 40s, 30s, 20s and teens, they can no longer be considered to be potential participants in the work force at all. Because there is no hope for them - they no longer need to be counted. And it is this steady statistical cleansing from the workforce of the worst of the economic casualties - of these very real millions of individual tragedies - that is being presented as a rapidly improving jobs picture.

    What the government's statistical deception is hiding is a catastrophic degree of change in generational employment levels, with the situation being much worse for the young and middle-aged than what is publicly presented. As the fundamental force of aging Boomers increasingly collides with the fundamental force of an employment disaster among younger Americans, the results may change everything that we think we know about economic growth, budget deficits, Social Security and Medicare, as well as all categories of investments.
    Wake Up America!

  7. #27
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by BringIt View Post
    No just taking it it context.

    Personally, before I go and vote, I want to know the real story not one fabricated from cherry picked data.
    You need to look at the "whole" story. All of the data, not just the good or the bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #28
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    T
    Once the unemployment rate drops below 5%, wage increases should start exceeding inflation.
    And incomes will start exceeding productivity (inflation!).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #29
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by BringIt View Post
    I know you're being facetious and sarcastic with your comment,
    No, I'm serious. You do realize that the current participation rate is higher than anytime before 1978. Male participation has been declining since 1948.
    The thing is that while it does have its uses, the participation rate is more influenced by non labor market factors. Changing demographics is the major one. More retirees, more students, a shift to more stay-home spouses...all would cause the participation to drop.


    but it makes one ponder... What will happen to the job market when the President makes all the new illegal democrat voters, oops I mean immigrants, in to take the jobs, driving down wages, and then have to be counted in the tallies?
    They're already included. The survey doesn't ask about legal status. It asks about country of birth, but that's it.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #30
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    All this means, is that more people stopped looking for a job.
    Not at all. This time, we didn't have people dropping out of the labor force, we actually had people getting jobs. You should read the report.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •