Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,056

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    A part time job...that pays minimum wage. There's something to brag about! More celebration of mediocrity.
    Whatever happened with a job is a job and people working even part-time is a step in the right direction towards paving the way off public assistance? Interesting that every time the unemployment figures shift downward the argument is shifted from people finding some kind of work to get off welfare and start doing for themselves to the jobs numbers are fixed, that they don't factor in people who have stopped looking for work, that the majority of workers cover people in specific age ranges or that most of those employed are only working part-time?

    The employment argument is always convoluted from the Right. The mere fact that unemployment is down is never a cause for celebration for them...unless they're the ones who can claim the moved they unemployment figures southward.

    Now, if given the choice I, too, would much rather more people are working full-time for better pay, but for some people even a small victory isn't good enough. So, tell me what would you rather have: more people working even part-time so they can depend more on their own labor to move themselves forward or more people continuing to say "screw it...working part-time isn't worth it. I'd rather cheat and keep the welfare check"?
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  2. #272
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    84,879

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Whatever happened with a job is a job and people working even part-time is a step in the right direction towards paving the way off public assistance? Interesting that every time the unemployment figures shift downward the argument is shifted from people finding some kind of work to get off welfare and start doing for themselves to the jobs numbers are fixed, that they don't factor in people who have stopped looking for work, that the majority of workers cover people in specific age ranges or that most of those employed are only working part-time?

    The employment argument is always convoluted from the Right. The mere fact that unemployment is down is never a cause for celebration for them...unless they're the ones who can claim the moved they unemployment figures southward.

    Now, if given the choice I, too, would much rather more people are working full-time for better pay, but for some people even a small victory isn't good enough. So, tell me what would you rather have: more people working even part-time so they can depend more on their own labor to move themselves forward or more people continuing to say "screw it...working part-time isn't worth it. I'd rather cheat and keep the welfare check"?
    We've had 6 years of small victories. At what point that not good enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,056

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We've had 6 years of small victories. At what point that not good enough?
    "One small step for man. One giant leap for man-kind."

    Sometimes small victories lead to winning the war, in this case the "war" is a lost decade of economic growth in America. That argument aside, I noticed you haven't refuted anything I've said above. Guess that means you agree that working any job even part-time and not being on welfare is better than sitting around waiting for the mailman to come and collecting a paycheck.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 10:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    And sometimes small victories are one step forward two steps back and lead to defeat.

  5. #275
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    84,879

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    "One small step for man. One giant leap for man-kind."

    Sometimes small victories lead to winning the war, in this case the "war" is a lost decade of economic growth in America. That argument aside, I noticed you haven't refuted anything I've said above. Guess that means you agree that working any job even part-time and not being on welfare is better than sitting around waiting for the mailman to come and collecting a paycheck.
    It's only been 6 years, not a full decade. Hopefully, in the next couple of years, we'll find ourselves with a real president, instead of the counter-productive idiot we have now. He's probably the only president in our history that used the government bureaucracy to stimy, and even halt growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  6. #276
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,056

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's only been 6 years, not a full decade. Hopefully, in the next couple of years, we'll find ourselves with a real president, instead of the counter-productive idiot we have now. He's probably the only president in our history that used the government bureaucracy to stimy, and even halt growth.
    Tell that to the commercial banks whose balance sheets are stronger than they've ever been prior to the Great Recession.

    Or to the hedge fund managers who are seeing record profits from the historic gains on Wall Street.

    You may not like that growth hasn't come as quickly as you'd like or that it took a different path than you wanted, but economic growth has happened under this President. And that's something you can't deny.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #277
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,834

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    yay! it only took Obama 6 and a half years to show very minor progress on turning around the economy. but hey, gay people can get married, so to hell with the unemployed anyway. am i right? let's keep electing democrats so we can make it a DECADE LONG economic malaise. come on! it's fun!
    It seems like I recently read that the unemployment rate under Obama has actually fallen faster than under Reagan. It appears that it takes a long time to recover from deep recessions. Took 12 years to recover from the great depression.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #278
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    54,290

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's only been 6 years, not a full decade. Hopefully, in the next couple of years, we'll find ourselves with a real president, instead of the counter-productive idiot we have now. He's probably the only president in our history that used the government bureaucracy to stimy, and even halt growth.
    No, Republicans are the ones dragging their feet in order to sabotage the economy. Have to keep things bad until after the elections.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #279
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    54,290

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    It seems like I recently read that the unemployment rate under Obama has actually fallen faster than under Reagan. It appears that it takes a long time to recover from deep recessions. Took 12 years to recover from the great depression.
    Clearly Reagan's bureaucracy was even more powerful than Obama's at halting growth.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #280
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,834

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    And sometimes small victories are one step forward two steps back and lead to defeat.
    We haven't double dipped like we did in the Great Depression, or like Europe did, so I don't see us trending towards defeat. We are trending much like we did in the early '80s recession.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •