Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Shame on people retiring and lowering the number of folks in the work force.
    In the conservative vision of the US economy, working people should work until their 85 just to eek by, while the rich rake it in and sit back on their verandas with the scotch brought in on silver trays.

  2. #162
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You wrote there is not a single credible study that supports my opinion. You have now admitted there are. I think I will leave you to find a huckleberry who is willing to play your game. I'm not one of them.
    Here was your opinion:

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Given the penalty, and the impact of declines in the value of held assets, I'm not convinced the contribution to the participation rate decline is as significant as what is being suggested.
    Which cannot be supported by evidence. Anecdotes and gallup polls simply do not cut it.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #163
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's good news for the country.

    Which of Obama's specific policies that he implemented as POTUS can be directly associated with and credited for this fantastic news?
    Not slashing spending. Not increasing taxes on lower income earners. That's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #164
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    You are making an assumption with no figures to support it. There were more babies born in 1946 than in any other year up until that time (a darned big surge), and every year after that there have been even more born. It shouldn't surprise anyone that we have more people choosing to retire every year. They don't even have to be retiring early, they just have to be retiring.

    And not only is it that we a surge of people retiring, we are also living longer, which means that every year the percentage of people who are in retirement will increase, thus the LFPR will tend to decline.
    Sorry, but you are not correct. The data does not support your theory. People are working longer and the Census Bureau data supports this conclusion.

    Capture USCB.JPG


    Further, Boomers typically don't come from single child families. This means births extending into the early '50's.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    The last time the economy was still in a slump?

    September jobs report: Payrolls down, unemployment unchanged - Oct. 8, 2010

    Reality denied.
    These numbers consist of teenagers and people over 55.

    Unemployment went up for everybody else.

    It doesn't matter what this "report" says because real people are really feeling what Obama's real economic policy is really about.

  6. #166
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,060

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Not slashing spending. Not increasing taxes on lower income earners. That's about it.
    How do double negatives raise the employment rate?

  7. #167
    Sage


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,292

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort
    If Romney won we would have real economic improvement like when Reagan won.
    The economy stayed down under Reagan for years -- and only rebounded once the Fed relaxed interest rates.

    ....
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  8. #168
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,969

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    These numbers consist of teenagers and people over 55.

    Unemployment went up for everybody else.

    It doesn't matter what this "report" says because real people are really feeling what Obama's real economic policy is really about.


    So when shown how utterly absurd your last comment was, you decide to move the goalposts, and in the process, rendered your last post even more dumb than it was previously (as, according to you, this is now a "bad" jobs report, thus ruining your earlier assertion the books are cooked before an election to provide good news...and to prove this "bad" report, you use the source you claim is inaccurate).

    I swear the anti-Obama crowd are some of the most illogical (and most transparent) people I've ever seen.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    These numbers consist of teenagers and people over 55.

    Unemployment went up for everybody else.

    It doesn't matter what this "report" says because real people are really feeling what Obama's real economic policy is really about.
    It happened more or less under Bush too (with rather sharp declines in participation by those in their 20s). So if you want to adjust unemployment figures to take into consideration age demographics, you have to do it for every president, not just this one.

    But of course your goal isn't factual analysis, but partisan whining.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    O
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post


    So when shown how utterly absurd your last comment was, you decide to move the goalposts, and in the process, rendered your last post even more dumb than it was previously (as, according to you, this is now a "bad" jobs report, thus ruining your earlier assertion the books are cooked before an election to provide good news...and to prove this "bad" report, you use the source you claim is inaccurate).

    I swear the anti-Obama crowd are some of the most illogical (and most transparent) people I've ever seen.
    Come on now.

    The fact that this jobs report is bad (imo - all extra employed are teenagers and over 55 PLUS 82K less 20-54 employed PLUS average hourly wage dropped) in no way proves that the numbers were not 'cooked' (nor does it prove the opposite).

    How do you know the numbers were not truly horrible and the BLS was not instructed to cook the books to make the Dem's look good for the midterm elections and that these (imo) bad numbers were as far as the BLS agreed to exaggerate?

    I assume you don't (just as I cannot prove that they were cooked).
    Last edited by DA60; 10-03-14 at 05:10 PM.

Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •