Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #151
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    If your opinion is "age attributed to half of the decline in the labor force participation rate", i am giving it a nod.

    We have already agreed, pages ago, that boomers are delaying retirement. If this is your only opinion, why use it as a means to reject the position of someone who agrees with the bold?
    You wrote there is not a single credible study that supports my opinion. You have now admitted there are. I think I will leave you to find a huckleberry who is willing to play your game. I'm not one of them.

  2. #152
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You wrote there is not a single credible study that supports my opinion.
    If your opinion is that age does not attribute to half of the decline in the labor force participation rate, there isn't a single credible study that supports it.

    You have now admitted there are.
    Now you are trying to play a bait and switch game because your ignorance has been both called out and broken down so even you could see the lapse in thought.

    I think I will leave you to find a huckleberry who is willing to play your game. I'm not one of them.
    You are not up for much more than a few lines of meaningless drivel.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #153
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    He claimed that many baby boomers were delaying retirement. How can this possibly be shown to be incorrect based on a claim that half of the decline in overall participation rate can be attributable to age? That's just nonsense. What you've posted tells us nothing about whether or not baby boomers are delaying retirement.
    Many of them are. Others may decide to retire early. Neither factor really negates the fact that we have the highest percentage in history of our population in retirement, or the fact that the percentage will continue to grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #154
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Because it's got to be one or the other, right?
    No, there are lot's of factors involved, none of them were created by Obama though.

    Our school dropout rate is at a record low, and we have the highest percentage of our population ever attending college. Many of those people are choosing education over immediately entering our workforce.

    More males are deciding to be stay at home parents, and the trend for females joining our workforce peaked years ago.

    And certainly there are some folks who decided that if they can't find a job in their preferred field making a decent wage, that they can afford to not work (early retirement, single income earner families, etc). Yes, it IS a sign of a less that booming economy, and a result of the Great Bush Recession, but it is also about technology replacing the need for human labor. This trend will continue to some extent, even if our economy was booming.

    I can't think of a single thing that President Mit Romney (or anyone else) would have done to keep people from retiring, or to get students to drop out of school, or to force stay at home spouses to start seeking work. It's simply not an Obama issue.

    Obama isn't requiring that people retire, or that they go to school, or that they become homemakers. Back in the olden days, these were considered positive traits by conservatives, I really don't understand why conservatives are rejecting good family values. That's part of the reason why I left the republican party.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You wrote there is not a single credible study that supports my opinion. You have now admitted there are. I think I will leave you to find a huckleberry who is willing to play your game. I'm not one of them.
    I usually just ignore him.

    This time I saw a link so I followed him.

    But normally, he is on my Ignore list.

    Imo, he has a closed mind and comes on here primarily to troll...he is a waste of my time.

  6. #156
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I usually just ignore him.

    This time I saw a link so I followed him.

    But normally, he is on my Ignore list.

    Imo, he has a closed mind and comes on here primarily to troll...he is a waste of my time.
    Agreed DA. I just love to see the effort some of these types go through. I have quite the picture in my mind, and there are times the smile that evokes in me is a nice distraction.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I usually just ignore him.

    This time I saw a link so I followed him.

    But normally, he is on my Ignore list.

    Imo, he has a closed mind and comes on here primarily to troll...he is a waste of my time.
    Your rule is to ignore anyone that has destroyed your argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #158
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    No, there are lot's of factors involved, none of them were created by Obama though.

    Our school dropout rate is at a record low, and we have the highest percentage of our population ever attending college. Many of those people are choosing education over immediately entering our workforce.

    More males are deciding to be stay at home parents, and the trend for females joining our workforce peaked years ago.

    And certainly there are some folks who decided that if they can't find a job in their preferred field making a decent wage, that they can afford to not work (early retirement, single income earner families, etc). Yes, it IS a sign of a less that booming economy, and a result of the Great Bush Recession, but it is also about technology replacing the need for human labor. This trend will continue to some extent, even if our economy was booming.

    I can't think of a single thing that President Mit Romney (or anyone else) would have done to keep people from retiring, or to get students to drop out of school, or to force stay at home spouses to start seeking work. It's simply not an Obama issue.

    Obama isn't requiring that people retire, or that they go to school, or that they become homemakers. Back in the olden days, these were considered positive traits by conservatives, I really don't understand why conservatives are rejecting good family values. That's part of the reason why I left the republican party.
    and others of us reject offers to come out of retirement to work just so that younger folks can gain a foothold on their careers
    at least it's the excuse i use on my wife. that's my story and i'm sticking to it
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #159
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Yes, your math is correct. However the bulk of the Baby Boomers are just now crossing over the 60 threshold, which would mean the vast majority of them are all opting to take early retirement...
    You are making an assumption with no figures to support it. There were more babies born in 1946 than in any other year up until that time (a darned big surge), and every year after that there have been even more born. It shouldn't surprise anyone that we have more people choosing to retire every year. They don't even have to be retiring early, they just have to be retiring.

    And not only is it that we a surge of people retiring, we are also living longer, which means that every year the percentage of people who are in retirement will increase, thus the LFPR will tend to decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #160
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Your rule is to ignore anyone that has destroyed your argument.
    An ignore list that is longer than John Gotti's rap sheet.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •