Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 381

Thread: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

  1. #311
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    He's a politician. Just look at all the politicians who had their support behind the Iraq war, and the distance they've put between that and themselves now.
    What you are talking about is "wedging".

    There is no real issue here between hawks nor doves, there are none in the US government. This is simple positioning through nuance to make it appear you are against whatever the other party is for while actually having every intention of doing the same thing.

    It is designed to add to the perception of differences, positioning, by driving a wedge into the thinnest of cracks. It is precisely what has kept the US moribund since at least when Obama took office. It reinforces the idea that politicians are not allowed to ever change their mind when that is precisely what you want of them, the ability to think and grow. And it engages in the propagandist's most favored tool, over-simplification; what happens today can be a result of what happened years ago, but not the same. It is extremely confusing, since America's "most trusted journalist", Walter Cronkite became so be changing his position on the Vietnam War and declared it "unwinnable".

    I became a member of the Liberal Party of British Columbia because the new leader stood up and said "the [tax] was a mistake. It was an insult to the people. I will correct that mistake."
    For some reason American politicians are not allowed to say that, appearing weak or something. In would sooner support the politician who said "I was wrong on the Iraq invasion. Knowing what I now know, I would not have done it. And I want to make damn sure we are never mislead like that again". Instead they simply run away from it, and that's what need's to be addressed. Instead of "they did it too" finger pointing, the electorate needs to demand accountability and focus on what's happening today, otherwise today is just another yesterday.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  2. #312
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    There are, I would initially propose, three rough tiers why that is important.

    In the immediate, the American Populace will not support an alternative - we won't put blood or treasure for it. Sine blood and treasure are required expenditures in order to defend US interests, however, the support for the exansion of our founding value set is a required prerequisite for any effort which we expect to be publicly sustainable in the face of opposition.

    In the near to mid term, the Islamic world has spent the last century or so looking for a replacement to the Ottoman Empire as a governing venue that would allow them to reclaim their pride/place/self-direction/what-have-you. They tried constitutional monarchies and that didn't work, so they shifted to military-led pan-Arab socialism. That didn't work, so many shifted to Islamist Fundamentalism, which is now in the process of not working. It is in our interest to ensure that A) Islamist Fundamentalism doesn't work and B) the option the region shifts to afterwords is support for some form of liberal governance.

    In the long term, increasing the portions of the globe governed by more liberal and representative structures offers greater security to the US and her interests as well as greater enablement of US policy objectives.



    All three of these tiers, it should be noted, apply broadly to the Anglosphere at large and the "West" that has been influenced by it (such as, for example, Japan).


    It is also the right thing to do.



    Please read the part where I say the US has no record of success on which to base the theory, in fact a century or more of death and destruction from Cuba, to Chile, to Vietnam, to Iraq.

    It is not working.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #313
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Please read the part where I say the US has no record of success on which to base the theory, in fact a century or more of death and destruction from Cuba, to Chile, to Vietnam, to Iraq.
    Good point. It is well known that A) Latin America today is widely dominated by communist-leaning dictatorships instead of representative governments and that B) so are South Korea, Japan, and Germany, whom we are constantly going back to war with.
    Last edited by cpwill; 10-07-14 at 02:59 PM.

  4. #314
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Here we go again
    I find it really entertaining how you felt the need to make sure you didn't cite the rest of the post, which rather drove home the point.

  5. #315
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    What you are talking about is "wedging".

    There is no real issue here between hawks nor doves, there are none in the US government. This is simple positioning through nuance to make it appear you are against whatever the other party is for while actually having every intention of doing the same thing.

    It is designed to add to the perception of differences, positioning, by driving a wedge into the thinnest of cracks. It is precisely what has kept the US moribund since at least when Obama took office. It reinforces the idea that politicians are not allowed to ever change their mind when that is precisely what you want of them, the ability to think and grow. And it engages in the propagandist's most favored tool, over-simplification; what happens today can be a result of what happened years ago, but not the same. It is extremely confusing, since America's "most trusted journalist", Walter Cronkite became so be changing his position on the Vietnam War and declared it "unwinnable".

    I became a member of the Liberal Party of British Columbia because the new leader stood up and said "the [tax] was a mistake. It was an insult to the people. I will correct that mistake."
    For some reason American politicians are not allowed to say that, appearing weak or something. In would sooner support the politician who said "I was wrong on the Iraq invasion. Knowing what I now know, I would not have done it. And I want to make damn sure we are never mislead like that again". Instead they simply run away from it, and that's what need's to be addressed. Instead of "they did it too" finger pointing, the electorate needs to demand accountability and focus on what's happening today, otherwise today is just another yesterday.
    I won't disagree with you on the merits of that, so long as, it was a genuine and not political position to begin with. From my far less than lofty position, I was able to discern the the folly of the Iraq invasion, and as such, cut no politicians any slack for having ever supported it. It's mind boggling, the limited opposition to the Iraq war amongst those that had the power to prevent it. But I'm certain that what your saying would be right on any number of issues, as evidenced by the example you gave.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is a pretty one-sided description of what occured. In fact there was a broad coaltion including Sunni and Kurds forming under the initial Maliki Government, but we (read: the Presidents' action officer, read: Joe Biden) dicked it up, collapsed it, and Maliki had no option but to ally with the Sadrists to make a majority. Then we yanked out early, leaving that element without a curb.

    The idea that Arab Culture cannot adapt to representative government today is no more legitimate than the claim that Confucian Culture could not do so half a century ago.
    It was said that the Japanese could never adapt to Democracy either, but we see immigrants from all over the world adapting to life in the Democracies who would usually never want to return to any other form of government.

  7. #317
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I think the president, not unlike his predecessors, has made bad decisions, particularly regarding the ME. As one of the chief partisans on this board (you have competition) you think that everything wrong with the ME is Obama's fault, which is neither objective or factual.
    Why not respond to posts directly than than riffing on some subliminal messages you may have received?

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Why is it so important to install "democracy"? Especially since every one of America's regime changes eventually ends up corrupt and with a lot of dead. Pinochet was a great example, Panama, and the decision to topple Saddam based on manufactured evidence.

    It's not and never has been about "democracy", but "he may be a son-of-a-bitch, but he is our son-of-a-bitch."
    Chile (not a 'regime change' by the USA) and Panama (riidding them of Noreiga was good!) are doing very well and a 'stable' Iraq was bungled by you-know-who.

    In a time of war of course alliances are going to be made with those who would normally be kept at arms length, but there is also the Big Picture to be looked at. All in all, the US did a pretty good job in supporting the democracies against dictatorships and international Communism. No one did better.

  9. #319
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I won't disagree with you on the merits of that, so long as, it was a genuine and not political position to begin with. From my far less than lofty position, I was able to discern the the folly of the Iraq invasion, and as such, cut no politicians any slack for having ever supported it. It's mind boggling, the limited opposition to the Iraq war amongst those that had the power to prevent it. But I'm certain that what your saying would be right on any number of issues, as evidenced by the example you gave.
    It was mass insanity as I recall. As old Hans Bliz was begging for another week, he was being decried as a 'terrorist sympathizer' in the media. There is no escaping the fact the US was in a frenzy over invading; while politicians of the day heralded themselves as heroes, Canada went about re-electing the most corrupt Prime Minister in the modern era because "he kept us out of Iraq. If there was anyone opposed at the time, they were few, I think even Obama voted "present".

    But what good does that do now? Since then a lot of water has gone over the dam; the initial occupation was a sham, they virtually destroyed the country. Obama then fed off over-glowing reports about stability and pulled out, resulting in the current situation. None of what happened to the changing of the guard is relevant since they are gone. Obama is in charge, he is the only one who can change anything, he is the Omega man, the only guy who can now fix what has been wrought. That's where is the focus. as was my point, harping on "they did it too" only feeds the fact nothing changes.

    and nothing will until Americans take an honest look at where they are instead of the ongoing mid game of blaming each other about how you got there.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  10. #320
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Chile (not a 'regime change' by the USA) and Panama (riidding them of Noreiga was good!) are doing very well and a 'stable' Iraq was bungled by you-know-who.

    In a time of war of course alliances are going to be made with those who would normally be kept at arms length, but there is also the Big Picture to be looked at. All in all, the US did a pretty good job in supporting the democracies against dictatorships and international Communism. No one did better.


    Well that one takes the daily prize for missing the whole point.

    Pinochet was a ****ing success? The United States installed one of the most brutal ****ing dictators, the guy made Idi ****ing Amin look like Mother Theresa, the CIA helped him round up political opponents and disappear them.

    Panama? You talk about now, I talk about Noriega........

    And no, I don't know, nor care "you know who", constantly blaming the "other guy" is why you've been making the same mistake since you first rolled into Vietnam in 1947 with all the ****ing answers.


    There's no list of "successes" where US "regime change" has been involved....not even Ukraine where you tried to do it without bombing for a change....look how well that worked.

    No one elected the United States the world's policeman; with the world's worst crime rates, poorest education system in the modernized world, on-going warfare for the last 13 years and so much racial division the nation stalls every time a white cop shoots a black kid, fewer and fewer people in this world want what you have. It is time to stop trying to force it down people's throats by arming rebels and backing dictators.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •