Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 381

Thread: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Just ask yourself if over 180,000 armed U.S. military personnel could not keep sectarian violence at bay in Iraq at its highest troop strength level, how in the world were 10,000 suppose to? But it's not about that is it?
    Violence was being 'at bay'! Look at the stats. In 2008 there were 322 casualties. In 2011, when Obama decided to pull the troops there were 54. That was in the entire year!! There were less casualties there than in most major US cities!

    iCasualties: Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Casualties

    Troop levels or immunity thereof really isn't the issue for most of you. It's the fact that this President wouldn't give in to your perception of "American leadership" or "American dominance". And yet the one time he stands up in defense of our men and women in uniform, the only thing you people complain about is "he didn't give in to another nation's leader to keep U.S. combat forces in Iraq to help defend their country like we wanted." Whaaah!
    This is what we have from the Left today.An ignorance of facts and juvenile chatterings. It is a disgrace to the educational system and the country.

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,762

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Really? Do you have any facts to support this point of view?
    Really?

    Are you really gonna ask a Black man that question?
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    general Douglas MacArthur was considered by the u.s navy brass to be unhinged megalomaniac with a corn cob pipe.
    The U.S. Army considered Admiral Halsey as being a navy bean eating old fart.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Really?

    Are you really gonna ask a Black man that question?
    This board is color blind. I neither know nor care what your color is.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    The U.S. Army considered Admiral Halsey as being a navy bean eating old fart.
    i can find fault with halsey, but he has enough redeeming qualities for me to look past his faults. he correctly surmised that invading the island of peleliu would be a waste of manpower.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,762

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Violence was being 'at bay'! Look at the stats. In 2008 there were 322 casualties. In 2011, when Obama decided to pull the troops there were 54. That was in the entire year!! There were less casualties there than in most major US cities!

    iCasualties: Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Casualties

    This is what we have from the Left today.An ignorance of facts and juvenile chatterings. It is a disgrace to the educational system and the country.
    First off, no one was arguing that troop casualties didn't decrease. However, that's not the issue here is it? The entire reason behind leaving a residual force behind in Iraq wasn't to protect our military personnel. It was TO PROTECT THE IRAQI PEOPLE and train the Iraqi local police and its military. But your argument seems to center around the U.S. military policing the cities and defending the country. So, again I ask "for how long?"

    Our troops were already complaining about being both a local police force AND a national security force. So, again I ask "for how long" were we suppose to stay there? How long were WE suppose to defend THEIR country from within and without? HOW LONG?

    And I noticed you quickly backed away the President standing up to principle. Interesting when asked if you would have left our troops at the mercy of another nation's laws folks quickly back down from their righteous position.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 10-04-14 at 09:33 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #157
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,762

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This board is color blind. I neither know nor care what your color is.
    And yet you can't dismiss my point, can you? But to expand on it you have the Chinese fighting for their freedom from the Japanese in WWI, the British fighting against Nazi aggression and tyranny in WWII, even America fighting for their independence during the Revolutionary War.

    History is full of battles won at the hand of those who fought for freedom. Iraq's fight against ISIS shouldn't be any different. Just depends on how bad they want it.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 10-04-14 at 09:32 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    i can find fault with halsey, but he has enough redeeming qualities for me to look past his faults. he correctly surmised that invading the island of peleliu would be a waste of manpower.
    Admiral Halsey was NOT a yes man.

    No half ass military commander from a rifle platoon LT to a five star general surrounds himself with yes men. No competent President/CnC surrounds himself with yes men except maybe for Obama which explains why he's been a complete failure as CnC.

    >" One of the most controversial operations of World War II in the Pacific was the 1944 invasion of Peleliu. A military historian has analyzed the circumstances and the personalities involved, trying to answer a question that has nagged veterans such as the one pictured here for more than 54 years.

    Few World War II veterans of the 1st Marine Division and the Army's 81st Division ever made sense of the awful sacrifices it cost to wrest Peleliu from a stubborn foe entrenched in the badlands of the Umurbrogol, a moonscape known as "Bloody Nose Ridge." Many survivors consider Peleliu's worst legacy to be that their fleet commander, Admiral William F. Halsey, Jr., had recommended canceling the landing at the last moment—only to have the suggestion rejected by Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, commanding the Pacific Fleet and the Pacific Ocean Areas (CinCPac/CinCPOA). Nimitz has since been excoriated for this decision. "CinCPac here made one of his rare mistakes," observed Samuel Eliot Morison in 1963. Three decades later, naval historian Nathan Miller described the event as "Nimitz's major mistake of the war."

    Yet Nimitz made few rash decisions in 44 months as CinCPac/CinCPOA. He picked discerning staff officers, sought the advice of tactical commanders, and hearkened to his outspoken boss, Admiral Ernest J. King, Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Fleet (CominCh), and Chief of Naval Operations. How did Nimitz reach his decision about Peleliu, and upon what information did he base his judgment?

    The 72-hour period during 12 to 15 September 1944, essentially the three days leading to D-Day at Peleliu, was a time of significant westward movement by U.S. forces. As one attack force converged on Peleliu and Angaur in the southern Palaus, another embarked in Hawaii for Yap and Ulithi in the Western Carolines, the second phase of Operation Stalemate, and yet a third amphibious unit advanced on Morotai in the Moluccas. Complex as they were, each operation had the principal objective of paving the way for even larger campaigns soon to follow—MacArthur's return to the Philippines, Nimitz's conquest of Formosa or (as some planners were beginning to suggest) Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

    The key players were scattered widely. King and the other Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) were engaged in the Octagon Conference in Quebec with their British counterparts and Sir Winston Churchill. Nimitz held forth in his headquarters in Pearl Harbor. General Douglas MacArthur, counterpart to Nimitz as commander-in-chief of the Southwest Pacific Area (CinCSowesPac), sailed with the Morotai invasion force. And Halsey, less than three weeks in command of his newly designated Third Fleet, strode the flag bridge of the USS New Jersey (BB-62) in the throes of indecision.

    Halsey had just arrived in the Philippine Sea, linking up with Vice Admiral Marc A. Mitscher, commanding the fleet's principal striking element, Task Force 38..."<

    continue -> What Was Nimitz Thinking? | U.S. Naval Institute

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    First off, no one was arguing that troop casualties didn't decrease. However, that's not the issue here is it? The entire reason behind leaving a residual force behind in Iraq wasn't to protect our military personnel. It was "TO PROTECT THE IRAQI PEOPLE and train the Iraqi local police and its military. But your argument seems to center around the U.S. military policing the cities and defending the country. So, again I ask "for how long?"
    My argument 'seems to be'??

    Let's look at what we have in Iraq now, which was a completely predictable situation,and look what we had in 2011 when there was 54 deaths and the situation was 'stable' and a 'great achievement'. What is wrong with defending the country? Just read the stats of how many Americans, and Coalition members, died winning over places like Mosul and Fallujah and then how easily they were dismissed when they were abandoned and lost. What good did these deaths serve, as well as the billions of dollars, if the winnings weren't protected from what we see now? Why have all those troops in Europe when they were so desperately needed elsewhere?

    Our troops were already complaining about being both a local police force AND a national security force. So, again I ask "for how long" were we suppose to stay there? How long were WE suppose to defend THEIR country from within and without? HOW LONG?
    If "How long" is your main concern you should also ask yourself about the 40,000 still stationed in Germany, the 11,000 in Italy, the 10,000 in the UK. The troops stay as long as in necessary, that is how long.

    And I noticed you quickly backed away the President standing up to principle.
    Which President or principle was that?
    Interesting when asked if you would have left our troops at the mercy of another nation's laws folks quickly back down from their righteous position.
    No troops were to be left at the mercy of another nation's laws. Are you going by what Obama said?? Why not familiarize yourself with the facts before submitting a post? Once the facts are established then it's easy to debate, but if you are using facts known only to yourself then debate is difficult.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Panetta unloads on White House for pulling US forces out of Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    And yet you can't dismiss my point, can you? But to expand on it you have the Chinese fighting for their freedom from the Japanese in WWI, the British fighting against Nazi aggression and tyranny in WWII, even America fighting for their independence during the Revolutionary War.

    History is full of battles won at the hand of those who fought for freedom. Iraq's fight against ISIS shouldn't be any different. Just depends on how bad they want it.
    Do you think the British would have won if the rest of the world didn't help them? Did the French or Belgiums win? You are just grabbing at straws here. There have been winners and losers throughout history and home court isn't necessarily an advantage.

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •