Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 415

Thread: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

  1. #361
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So then you support racists excluding races they hate and misogynists excluding women from their businesses?
    And you support forcing others to do things that they don't want to, just because you have decided it's right? It works both ways...

  2. #362
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It only requires that believers not be forced to participate in what they conscientiously object to participating in. And it is a real bigot that thinks they should be forced to conform.

    Funny thing is I don't remember the same type of outrage years ago when it was Muslim's that didn't want to serve those simply carrying alchohol or service to disabled people because they had service dogs with them.



    >>>>

  3. #363
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,964

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It only requires that believers not be forced to participate in what they conscientiously object to participating in. And it is a real bigot that thinks they should be forced to conform.
    Like wearing clothing? Naturists believe in being nude, so why are they not allowed to practice their religion/deeply held beliefs in any place they wish, including their personal businesses open to the public or just in public?

    There is even Christian Naturism.

    Christian naturism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #364
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    And what do you want to say? Of course scriptures are interpreted. So? You are just trying to be difficult or something. Anyone knows it has to be a prick that forces a conscientious objector act against his beliefs, where all the prick has to do is throw her party in another venue. That kind of person is disgusting. And to demand the state get involved in suppression of religious or political opinion in so naive of the resultant dangers one can hardly believe it.
    Not at all. We were discussing people objecting to serving gays because of their religious beliefs and some people consider that a legitimate argument.

    I am pointing out that that has been tried before and NOT held to be a legitimate argument in the prevention of discrimination.

    Calling people that call out racists and others that hate (and religious people hate all the time...that is disgusting and makes all in my religion look bad)...pricks is just silly and a real straw to be grasping.

    Being right often not easy or popular. A little name-calling doesnt change it.

    Edit: It's also funny how once I gave you clear examples, you chose to say they didnt mean anything relevant and then went on the defensive.
    Last edited by Lursa; 10-11-14 at 03:26 PM. Reason: addition
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #365
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Like wearing clothing? Naturists believe in being nude, so why are they not allowed to practice their religion/deeply held beliefs in any place they wish, including their personal businesses open to the public or just in public?

    There is even Christian Naturism.

    Christian naturism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Are you really comparing the possibility of say, two gays holding hands, to people running around naked?

  6. #366
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    And you support forcing others to do things that they don't want to, just because you have decided it's right? It works both ways...
    We have laws against discrimination...I didnt decide they were right but I support them. (And yes I do agree with them)

    People have to do things they dont want to all the time. Like pay their taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #367
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Are you really comparing the possibility of say, two gays holding hands, to people running around naked?
    What's wrong with people running around naked? I dont want to see it and there is a public health component to be considered but I dont see anything 'morally' wrong with being naked in public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #368
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Not at all. We were discussing people objecting to serving gays because of their religious beliefs and some people consider that a legitimate argument.

    I am pointing out that that has been tried before and NOT held to be a legitimate argument in the prevention of discrimination.

    Calling people that call out racists and others that hate (and religious people hate all the time...that is disgusting and makes all in my religion look bad)...pricks is just silly and a real straw to be grasping.

    Being right often not easy or popular. A little name-calling doesnt change it.
    In some ways, this argument reminds me of the Abortion debate. In both cases, we are talking about trumping one group of persons rights (religious objectors in this debate, women/unborn fetuses (depending on which side and your views) in the abortion debate). I understand why religious people would be upset because all they are saying is that their rights are being trumped by another group, and basically their beliefs don't matter. It's not about hate whatsoever. On the flip side, no one is forcing SSM couples from going to a particular cake establishment, they can always choose to go to someone else.

    In reality, at this moment, only one group is really being "forced" into doing something, and that's not the SSM side.

  9. #369
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What's wrong with people running around naked? I dont want to see it and there is a public health component to be considered but I dont see anything 'morally' wrong with being naked in public.
    Same thing wrong with people making out/having sex in public. It's disruptive to society. But more than that, I'll guarantee you that people are going to stop and look, and near roads, this can cause accidents. I think if society was more comfortable with the nude form, it wouldn't be an issue, but at this point in our development, there's a public safety risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    We have laws against discrimination...I didnt decide they were right but I support them. (And yes I do agree with them)

    People have to do things they dont want to all the time. Like pay their taxes.
    One could easily argue that religious people are being discriminated against here, in that there feelings and concerned are disregarded for another groups. Also, I believe that relying on what the current law of the land is a terrible idea... (see Plessy v. Ferguson)
    Last edited by Hamster Buddha; 10-11-14 at 03:36 PM.

  10. #370
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,964

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Are you really comparing the possibility of say, two gays holding hands, to people running around naked?
    I am saying that if someone is going to claim that a deeply held belief is that important to ensure it is upheld, that should include all beliefs, not just those that some or even the majority agree with. There is nothing really wrong with people running around naked beyond some sanitation issues, just as there is nothing wrong with two people of the same sex holding hands or kissing or getting married even.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •