Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 415

Thread: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

  1. #331
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So long as their beliefs don't affect others, nobody bothers them. It's when they insist on pushing their religion on the rest of society that people take notice. If people don't want to be ridiculed for their beliefs, they shouldn't have such ridiculous beliefs.
    How is not wanting to make a cake "pushing religious beliefs" on anyone.

    If you think gay marriage is wrong, and you want to go your way and others go their own, how is that forcing beliefs?

    Its the government saying "oh no, you MUST serve this gay wedding"

    The reality is, the gov doesnt give a flip about religious freedom unless its islam or some other non christian religious ideology.

  2. #332
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've read it, and she is correct. And we have long standing precedence as well to back that reading.
    Link a single case establishing the precedent that citizens have no Constitutionally protected right to conduct business. Just one.

    Apparently the liberty our government was founded on extends only to recreational activities.
    Last edited by Taylor; 10-10-14 at 02:31 PM.

  3. #333
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It is hard to see how the government can be allowed to force people to act against their religious beliefs just so other people feel better.

    Discrimination is not an expression of religious belief.

  4. #334
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,421

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Jarmen View Post
    Discrimination is not an expression of religious belief.
    It can be if the persons are trying to force the religious person to perform in what his religion considers a sacrilege. Then discrimination is the expression of religious belief.

  5. #335
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,019

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It can be if the persons are trying to force the religious person to perform in what his religion considers a sacrilege. Then discrimination is the expression of religious belief.
    There were many whites that cited religious reasons for believing blacks were inferior, that 'mixing' was a sin, and that interracial marriage was a sin. Someone here posted a long list of the Bible passages they 'interpreted' that way. I'm sorry I dont have it tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #336
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Link a single case establishing the precedent that citizens have no Constitutionally protected right to conduct business. Just one.

    Apparently the liberty our government was founded on extends only to recreational activities.
    You can't deny service based on race, gender or religion.

    And no, such restrictions don't really harm your liberty. Not being allowed to harm others isn't anti liberty. It's kind of a silly argument in saying that it does.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #337
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    If you think that businesses will not have to obey the law I predict that you will be disappointed.
    The fact that the OP has to admit that we are running roughshod over the 1st Amendment to get where we are heading indicates rather that "the law as it is enforced" =/= "safeguarding people's rights".


    As for the "inconceivable to inevitable" language, I wonder if you realize what you are really saying with that argument.....

  8. #338
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Bigots and racists always think that they have the right to practice their bigotry and racism.

    But they don't have that right in the USA.
    Who said anything about practicing bigotry? Maybe you have trouble either reading or comprehending what you read, therefore I'll excuse your asinine remark. However if you continue to insist on calling people bigots without merit, I will have to assume that you are intentionally engaging in gratuitous name calling, worthy of a third grade schoolyard bully.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  9. #339
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, you do not have a right to engage in commerce as you see fit. You cannot sell things to people that a dangerous. You cannot lie to people, taking advantage of their extreme vulnerabilities just to make a profit without some regulation.

    We are dependent on each other in this society because the vast majority of us cannot do it alone, cannot provide for ourselves independently. We rely on commerce. Which means those who are providing the goods or services must be regulated and held to certain standards in what they provide and how they provide it, to protect the public.
    Excuse me, implicit in my remark was the assumption of ethical business practices. The rest of my remark stands.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  10. #340
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Excuse me, implicit in my remark was the assumption of ethical business practices. The rest of my remark stands.
    ethical is subjective
    we have every right to operate your business within the law and not violate the rights of others like we all do
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •