Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 415

Thread: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

  1. #201
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,199

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Yep, you can exclude fatties or brunettes or uggos, just so long as you equally apply it.
    I'm blonde, so I can exclude brunettes. I encourage it.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I think you stated the reality of the matter. The government has set forth a list of "protected citizens" who are specifically identified as "those who can not be excluded" which is entirely different than the government providing a list of who "can be excluded". If the exclusion reason isn't covered in any of those lists, you can exclude until the day is done. You can't exclude someone because you disapprove of their sexual preferences in a mate, but you can exclude someone if you disapprove of their lifestyle choice of being a KKK member because the law only applies to "those you can not exclude".

    It's so complex.
    I'm talking only about public accommodations and defending the fact that there is no right to be served guaranteed by the Constitution. Businesses are free to discriminate as they see fit, but (as with many aspects of business operation) this is subject to regulation. (Any "right to be served" is derived from law and can be rescinded.)

  3. #203
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,199

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm talking only about public accommodations and defending the fact that there is no right to be served guaranteed by the Constitution. Businesses are free to discriminate as they see fit, but (as with many aspects of business operation) this is subject to regulation. (Any "right to be served" is derived from law and can be rescinded.)
    That too. I don't recall anything in the Constitution that grants us the right to demand service from any business.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That too. I don't recall anything in the Constitution that grants us the right to demand service from any business.
    Yes, exactly. The fact that under federal law a business can discriminate based on sex but not on race is not an equal protection issue, but merely a difference in how we've chosen to regulate public accommodations... which is how all of this discussion got started.

  5. #205
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,199

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Yes, exactly. The fact that under federal law a business can discriminate based on sex but not on race is not an equal protection issue, but merely a difference in how we've chosen to regulate public accommodations... which is how all of this discussion got started.
    I think I'm confused about how all of this got into a discussion about SSM. I just realized I'm not in the thread I thought I was in, which is the one about the bakers and the wedding cake.

  6. #206
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm talking only about public accommodations and defending the fact that there is no right to be served guaranteed by the Constitution. Businesses are free to discriminate as they see fit, but (as with many aspects of business operation) this is subject to regulation. (Any "right to be served" is derived from law and can be rescinded.)
    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That too. I don't recall anything in the Constitution that grants us the right to demand service from any business.
    1. The Constitution isn't the only law on the books. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 governs business' inability to discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The Civil Rights Act has been found constitutional, as well as the courts are in the midst of extending these protections to include sexual orientation.

    2. Most states have civil protections written into their own state constitutions that go beyond Federal laws.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  7. #207
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    1. The Constitution isn't the only law on the books. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 governs business' inability to discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The Civil Rights Act has been found constitutional, as well as the courts are in the midst of extending these protections to include sexual orientation.

    2. Most states have civil protections written into their own state constitutions that go beyond Federal laws.

    1. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 didn't include sex as one of the protected classes for Public Accommodation.

    2. That is true, this is where "sex" is included.



    >>>>
    Last edited by WorldWatcher; 10-07-14 at 12:18 PM.

  8. #208
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I think I'm confused about how all of this got into a discussion about SSM. I just realized I'm not in the thread I thought I was in, which is the one about the bakers and the wedding cake.
    Lol, I'm with you there. I had only intended to small clarification on how the law works.

  9. #209
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,872

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    The issues you raise can be addressed in the Congress and the White House without hand-holding from the Supreme Court.
    Seriously? They cant get anything done. I'm being serious. They cannot DO anything and it would be a ridiculous partisan stalemate.

    They have national security issues to deal with right now....let the highest court decide.

    (I'm not being critical of you, I'm being critical of the system)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,872

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I think I'm confused about how all of this got into a discussion about SSM. I just realized I'm not in the thread I thought I was in, which is the one about the bakers and the wedding cake.
    *sigh* Drunk again!

    lol I know, all these threads seem to run together after awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •