Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 415

Thread: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    What law is being violated?
    Their religious conscience. Remember, the reason that the bakers gave is it would go against their religion.

  2. #152
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Clearly many do care about the marriage aspect. We've seen it in every state that has legalized same-sex marriage.

    As for socially acceptable, the trends on that are also quite clear.

    The anti-equality crowd has already lost this fight. It's just a bureaucratic process at this point.


    True, but some losers will continue to shovel sand against the tide.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Their religious conscience. Remember, the reason that the bakers gave is it would go against their religion.
    You can't sue somebody for violating their religious conscience. If the woman was denied service simply because she was a woman, and there's no statute that makes it illegal, what sort of legal action can she bring?

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You can't sue somebody for violating their religious conscience. If the woman was denied service simply because she was a woman, and there's no statute that makes it illegal, what sort of legal action can she bring?
    Why are you against the first amendment and forcing someone to do something against their religion? I mean you are for the baker and all with THEIR convictions, why are you against Muslim convictions? Are Christian values the only ones to be protected?

  5. #155
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,529

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You can't sue somebody for violating their religious conscience. If the woman was denied service simply because she was a woman, and there's no statute that makes it illegal, what sort of legal action can she bring?
    Um. true, if there were no such law...

    Um.. Civil Rights Act of 1965?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #156
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Um. true, if there were no such law...

    Um.. Civil Rights Act of 1965?
    Already discussed. Doesn't apply.

  7. #157
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Um. true, if there were no such law...

    Um.. Civil Rights Act of 1965?
    .

    It's the Civil Rights Act of 1964.


    It didn't include women.



    Women are covered under State Public Accommodation laws.



    >>>>

  8. #158
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Why are you against the first amendment and forcing someone to do something against their religion? I mean you are for the baker and all with THEIR convictions, why are you against Muslim convictions? Are Christian values the only ones to be protected?
    Huh? I haven't even commented on the baker, who is irrelevant to what I've been discussing. Swap Christian Baker for Muslim Store Owner if you wish, doesn't change how the law works.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Just because our government uses homosexuality doesn't mean such public displays of action will be tolerated by such nononese.

    Remember pro8?, yeah it appears clear despite the agenda to brainwash mimics 1984 or "invasion of the body snatchers" democracy is anything put a dong and pony sho.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,780

    Re: Gay marriage, once inconceivable, now appears inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Gender is not federally protected with respect to public accommodations... most (probably all) states now have more stringent law, but whether or not (and the extent) to which gender is protected is a matter of state law:

    42 U.S. Code 2000a - Prohibition against discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation

    Current through Pub. L. 113-163. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)
    US Code

    (a) Equal access
    All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
    Interesting. I wonder why that is? I guess I can think of a few reasons, such as segregation of restroom facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •