Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 116

Thread: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

  1. #31
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by JC_CT View Post
    Since when is a legal contract between two CITIZENS anything goes?
    When a federal court is needed to make it valid in opposition to State law or constitution...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #32
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    230

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    When a court is needed to make it valid in opposition to State law or constitution...
    State laws and constitutions do not take precedence over the Constitution of the United States.

    You are on the losing side of this one.

  3. #33
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by JC_CT View Post
    State laws and constitutions do not take precedence over the Constitution of the United States.

    You are on the losing side of this one.
    Would you remind me how slavery ended or how women gained the right to vote?

    HINT: It wasn't through the courts...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #34
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    It can just as easily be done with a private legal document. Governments sanction marriage because of the belief there is a benefit to doing so, but when it becomes something forced upon society, it loses a bit of its luster...
    No, it can't be done anywhere near as easily.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #35
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, it can't be done anywhere near as easily.
    Sure it can. Please provide an example of where it cannot...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #36
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    230

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Would you remind me how slavery ended or how women gained the right to vote?

    HINT: It wasn't through the courts...
    I get your point. It's just not a convincing one. Blacks and women were specifically excluded from being full citizens; the Constitution was not applicable to them. The 3/5 compromise and "male" were written in. I don't recall seeing the word heterosexual anywhere.

  7. #37
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by JC_CT View Post
    I get your point. It's just not a convincing one. Blacks and women were specifically excluded from being full citizens; the Constitution was not applicable to them. The 3/5 compromise and "male" were written in. I don't recall seeing the word heterosexual anywhere.
    The 3/5s compromise had nothing to do with the legality of slavery, and there was no reference to males being the only allowed voters in the Constitution...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #38
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    230

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The 3/5s compromise had nothing to do with the legality of slavery, and there was no reference to males being the only allowed voters in the Constitution...
    Yikes.

    I am not going to continue a conversation about Constitutionality with someone who has, without question, NOT read the Constitution.

  9. #39
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by JC_CT View Post
    Yikes.

    I am not going to continue a conversation about Constitutionality with someone who has, without question, NOT read the Constitution.
    In other words, you have no defense. Got it...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #40
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    230

    Re: Justices mum on whether to review same-sex marriage constitutionality

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    In other words, you have no defense. Got it...
    How about the 14th Amendment, the one I originally referenced?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •