Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 86 of 86

Thread: Eighty People in Dallas Area Being Monitored for Ebola

  1. #81
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Eighty People in Dallas Area Being Monitored for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Not from those African countries, from the United States. As I said, "Americans who are working off-shore and coming in." There are lots of Americans who work off-shore.
    What is off-shore? I thought you meant an island or oil rig.

    Do you mean Americans working *in those countries?*

    If so, they need to be quarantined and not allowed back into the country until cleared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #82
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,165

    Re: Eighty People in Dallas Area Being Monitored for Ebola

    A snippet for the fearful. America already harbours five diseases more lethal than Ebola.

    Five diseases far deadlier than Ebola found in the US - Telegraph
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #83
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Eighty People in Dallas Area Being Monitored for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I'm honestly surprised it's not, already.

    I think it will be soon, though. It didn't take long for it to begin to spread in the US - just one person, one flight. A news guy with a video camera. You know - run of the mill traveling and business.
    It's because the fears that one normally associates with a disease like the flu, where said disease can be spread through droplets from the mouth, with Ebola you have to have direct contact with bodily secretions. That's not something one needs to generally worry about unless they're flying with a bunch of apes that like flinging poo....

    The good (or bad depending on perspective) thing about Ebola is that once you are sick, you really can't leave your house. At that point, you pretty much quarantine yourself. In any case, they aren't going to shut down flights to these countries because Ebola doesn't spread like the Flu.

  4. #84
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Eighty People in Dallas Area Being Monitored for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    It's because the fears that one normally associates with a disease like the flu, where said disease can be spread through droplets from the mouth, with Ebola you have to have direct contact with bodily secretions. That's not something one needs to generally worry about unless they're flying with a bunch of apes that like flinging poo....

    The good (or bad depending on perspective) thing about Ebola is that once you are sick, you really can't leave your house. At that point, you pretty much quarantine yourself. In any case, they aren't going to shut down flights to these countries because Ebola doesn't spread like the Flu.
    That doesn't mean it's not a significant concern. And you never know when someone is a poo-flinger. Seriously. I have 4 kids. Seems silly to assume that they have perfect hygiene and never touch anything gross.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #85
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Eighty People in Dallas Area Being Monitored for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    That doesn't mean it's not a significant concern. And you never know when someone is a poo-flinger. Seriously. I have 4 kids. Seems silly to assume that they have perfect hygiene and never touch anything gross.
    Well you got me there on the kid. Again though, this isn't something where the disease can last long on surfaces. In fact, the CDC did a study and found that the disease can only survive in normal conditions for a few hours outside of the body.

    If caught, it is definitely something that is very dangerous. The problem is that we are treating this disease like it's the 1918 flu. Like I said earlier, Malaria has killed more people this year than Ebola has. The Flu this year will kill more people in the US than Ebola will kill world wide, even with this outbreak. Out of all the things to be worried about, Ebola isn't the one we need to be focused on. As long as you aren't making any field trips to Sub-Saharan Africa, then you'll be fine.

  6. #86
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Eighty People in Dallas Area Being Monitored for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Well you got me there on the kid. Again though, this isn't something where the disease can last long on surfaces. In fact, the CDC did a study and found that the disease can only survive in normal conditions for a few hours outside of the body.

    If caught, it is definitely something that is very dangerous. The problem is that we are treating this disease like it's the 1918 flu. Like I said earlier, Malaria has killed more people this year than Ebola has. The Flu this year will kill more people in the US than Ebola will kill world wide, even with this outbreak. Out of all the things to be worried about, Ebola isn't the one we need to be focused on. As long as you aren't making any field trips to Sub-Saharan Africa, then you'll be fine.
    Yes - well the problem is that people from Sub-Saharan Africa are coming here.

    Paranoia? No.
    But common sense, some hygiene and safety measures like avoiding contact with sick people - that's just a no-brainer Ebola or no.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •