Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 610

Thread: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial[W:292]

  1. #411
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    The fact that there are laws on the books that grant lethal authority based on how one "feels" is a recipe for legalized murder... especially racism motivated murder.
    The Dunn case is a perfect example of that.
    Dunn believed that under Florida state law all he had to do, to justify this murder, was to say he "felt threatened" and the prosecution would have a hard time proving that he didn't.
    He mis-calculated the jury's good common sense this time ...but these stupid cowboy, shoot first ask questions later, laws need to change.
    Regardless of the circumstances, anyone who perpetrates a homicide should have to prove there was a threat to their life.
    Right now that is backwards in many states.
    The key there is "Dunn believed that under Florida" which as he found out is not the case.

    As I have pointed out many times you are at a greater risk to be wrongfully shot or killed by police than a CCW holder.

    Police Officers Three Times More Likely to Murder Than Concealed Carry Permit Holders - Police Officers Three Times More Likely to Murder Than Concealed Carry Permit Holders

    Are you three times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a concealed carrier? - Are you three times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a concealed carrier? - Bearing Arms

    Texas study: Concealed carry permit holders commit less than 1% of the crimes. - Texas study: Concealed carry permit holders commit less than 1% of the crimes.

    Now the 3 times is actually "shoddy statistics" in that it is a conservative estimate.

    So your example does not apply to legal CCW holders on a grand scale. They are responsible overall, not just in Texas for less than 1% of all crime.

    The facts just don't support your premise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #412
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    The key there is "Dunn believed that under Florida" which as he found out is not the case.

    As I have pointed out many times you are at a greater risk to be wrongfully shot or killed by police than a CCW holder.

    Police Officers Three Times More Likely to Murder Than Concealed Carry Permit Holders - Police Officers Three Times More Likely to Murder Than Concealed Carry Permit Holders

    Are you three times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a concealed carrier? - Are you three times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a concealed carrier? - Bearing Arms

    Texas study: Concealed carry permit holders commit less than 1% of the crimes. - Texas study: Concealed carry permit holders commit less than 1% of the crimes.

    Now the 3 times is actually "shoddy statistics" in that it is a conservative estimate.

    So your example does not apply to legal CCW holders on a grand scale. They are responsible overall, not just in Texas for less than 1% of all crime.

    The facts just don't support your premise.
    My premise is that if Florida didn't have a Stand Your Ground law in the first place then Dunn would probably left his gun in the glove box and kept his window closed.

  3. #413
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,577

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    My premise is that if Florida didn't have a Stand Your Ground law in the first place then Dunn would probably left his gun in the glove box and kept his window closed.
    He saw Zimmerman get away with it and thought he could, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  4. #414
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    My premise is that if Florida didn't have a Stand Your Ground law in the first place then Dunn would probably left his gun in the glove box and kept his window closed.
    Yes that could be. However you don't know that anymore than he would have done it anyway and still claimed self defence. It was still a law before SYG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #415
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    He saw Zimmerman get away with it and thought he could, too.
    Zimmerman did not "get away with" anything. He legitimately defended himself as was upheld by the courts. Huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #416
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,577

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Zimmerman did not "get away with" anything. He legitimately defended himself as was upheld by the courts. Huge difference.
    disagree
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #417
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    disagree
    How dare you disagree!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #418
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    My premise is that if Florida didn't have a Stand Your Ground law in the first place then Dunn would probably left his gun in the glove box and kept his window closed.
    Im not so sure, there was no pretrial hearing in regards to SYG in the Dunn case (Zimmerman waived his rights to that too).

    Seems to me that Dunn just wanted to kill those kids because he felt disrespected. While Zimmerman showed signs he was injured, Dunn's testimony was contradicted by others and there was no evidence that he was ever attacked or that the kid even got out of the car. The fact that Dunn kept shooting even though the other car was trying to get out of there and he never reported it meant he was obviously trying to cover up his crime.

  9. #419
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,784

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    My premise is that if Florida didn't have a Stand Your Ground law in the first place then Dunn would probably left his gun in the glove box and kept his window closed.
    My premise is that if Dunn truly felt his life was in imminent danger, he would have shifted into gear and backed up or gone forward to avoid the threat, rather than reaching over to the glove box, taking out his weapon, possibly chambering a round, aiming, and shooting.

    Which do you think would have been a faster way to avoid death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #420
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    My premise is that if Florida didn't have a Stand Your Ground law in the first place then Dunn would probably left his gun in the glove box and kept his window closed.
    And may have been dead himself.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •