Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 610

Thread: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial[W:292]

  1. #11
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,666

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    1st degree kind of surprises me but a conviction in general doesn't. Hell, I'd have voted for 2nd degree.

  2. #12
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,708

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    1st degree kind of surprises me but a conviction in general doesn't. Hell, I'd have voted for 2nd degree.
    How does 1st degree surprise you? Nobody in the SUV was armed. Moreover, they were fleeing - so Dunn shot unarmed kids in the back. If Dunn said that there was a gun, then clearly he was lying and the jury thought so too.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  3. #13
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,105
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    The vehicle that was riddle with bullets received justice ages ago. It's good to know that sometimes, with great difficulty, Blacks in Florida can get justice too.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  4. #14
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial
    Michael Dunn found guilty of murder in loud-music trial - CNN.com

    Sad day for him. He should have walked.
    Why do you think he should walk?

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  5. #15
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    The vehicle that was riddle with bullets received justice ages ago. It's good to know that sometimes, with great difficulty, Blacks in Florida can get justice too.
    And its about time. I'm starting to believe that anybody can shoot a black man and just say he thought they had a gun and get off.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,666

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    How does 1st degree surprise you? Nobody in the SUV was armed. Moreover, they were fleeing - so Dunn shot unarmed kids in the back. If Dunn said that there was a gun, then clearly he was lying and the jury thought so too.
    It just struck me more as an act of depravity rather than an intentional thing. I don't believe that Dunn pulled into the spot planning to kill someone and he may not have planned to kill anyone even when he shot. In watching the trial I got the impression that he just got pissed off and started shooting without much thought at all for what he was doing.

  7. #17
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    How does 1st degree surprise you? Nobody in the SUV was armed. Moreover, they were fleeing - so Dunn shot unarmed kids in the back. If Dunn said that there was a gun, then clearly he was lying and the jury thought so too.
    Because Dunn's actions were not truly pre meditated. Rather, he had a general predispostion to escalate a situation where somebody disrespected him under certain circumstances. This predisposition to escalate may, or may not have led to murder (though in this case it did).

    Basically, Dunn killed because he got an order refused and then got "Diss'ed" by a social inferior while buzzed on alcohol, while in the presence of his chick, while coming back from a stress event (wedding of his son to whom he had been estranged for years).

    That is too many "ands" and "whiles" to show true pre meditation. Murder 2 would be the appropriate charge whether the shooter was a white software designer or another black teen ager.

  8. #18
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,708

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    It just struck me more as an act of depravity rather than an intentional thing. I don't believe that Dunn pulled into the spot planning to kill someone and he may not have planned to kill anyone even when he shot. In watching the trial I got the impression that he just got pissed off and started shooting without much thought at all for what he was doing.
    I would argue that his intention was to shoot somebody out of anger. That counts as premeditation. The fact that someone died as a result of his action makes it murder one, so he was tried as such.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  9. #19
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial
    Michael Dunn found guilty of murder in loud-music trial - CNN.com

    Sad day for him. He should have walked.


    He shouldn't have shot and killed that young man.

    Hopefully this result will discourage other people from doing what this man did.

  10. #20
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,708

    Re: Michael Dunn found guilty of 1st-degree murder in loud-music trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Because Dunn's actions were not truly pre meditated. Rather, he had a general predispostion to escalate a situation where somebody disrespected him under certain circumstances. This predisposition to escalate may, or may not have led to murder (though in this case it did).

    Basically, Dunn killed because he got an order refused and then got "Diss'ed" by a social inferior while buzzed on alcohol, while in the presence of his chick, while coming back from a stress event (wedding of his son to whom he had been estranged for years).

    That is too many "ands" and "whiles" to show true pre meditation. Murder 2 would be the appropriate charge whether the shooter was a white software designer or another black teen ager.
    I would dissagree based on the experience itself at the time. He made a consious choice to shoot a person that was no threat to him at all: that person died. Therefore, I am arguing that murder one was the ight charge.

    As to your point, the same then could have been argued in OJ Simpson's case: he was mad, at any number of things, decide to go over to ex's house adn found her in the company of a young handsome man, so he became so emotional and outraged that he took out his knife - and out his knife - and only intended to scare the tow, but she grabbed his hand and he went crazy - a crime of passion that got out of hand.

    Should he then have been tried for murder two?

    Ya'see Dunn could say anything he wanted about what happened, but it was clearly untrue, and cops and prosecutors very rarely go trial with something that won't stick. So - in my view, it all went the way it was supopsed to.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •