Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81

Thread: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

  1. #51
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    It costs to do so.
    Ok. Then I go back again to my original point. The cit government is not a for profit run business.


  2. #52
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Very good!!

    However, that refers to a future search and not one that has already been carried out. Furthermore, it seems contrary to the law which states, according to the article, "Some state open records laws provide records for free or little cost, while others like Missouri can require fees that "result in the lowest charges for search, research and duplication."

    Hiring a consulting company to do this will not result in the lowest charges; it will produce the highest charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #53
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You're a smart guy. I know you don't think that the only cost involved in the hourly pay of a worker.

    Information costs money. Everything costs money. The city of Ferguson isn't in business to feed the media.

    Why would you think they have something to hide if they're giving out the information that they can, for a fee? They're providing it, so obviously they don't have anything to hide. Refusal to provide it would be an indication that they are hiding something.
    From the article
    Other governments also have demanded spectacular fees. During the 2008 presidential campaign, for instance, news organizations asked for emails belonging to former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the former Republican vice presidential nominee.

    The Anchorage Press said officials at first wanted $6,500 in search fees, leading the newspaper to withdraw its request. Thousands of pages of those emails were ultimately provided to news organizations for about $725 in copying charges.
    '
    funny how the right wingers are defending the govt charging people to tell us what they're doing. When Lois Lerner doesn't produce an email, Congress launches an investigation and the wing nuts flip out.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #54
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,636

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Very good!!

    However, that refers to a future search and not one that has already been carried out. Furthermore, it seems contrary to the law which states, according to the article, "Some state open records laws provide records for free or little cost, while others like Missouri can require fees that "result in the lowest charges for search, research and duplication."

    Hiring a consulting company to do this will not result in the lowest charges; it will produce the highest charges.
    Not necessarily. As I said before, due to the scrutiny surrounding this incident having a third party involved in handling document requests would be "best practices". This simply isn't a normal situation and taking steps that would be considered "extraordinary" under other circumstances are simply prudent in this case.

  5. #55
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,482

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Very good!!

    However, that refers to a future search and not one that has already been carried out. Furthermore, it seems contrary to the law which states, according to the article, "Some state open records laws provide records for free or little cost, while others like Missouri can require fees that "result in the lowest charges for search, research and duplication."

    Hiring a consulting company to do this will not result in the lowest charges; it will produce the highest charges.
    I used to hire numerous document retrieval companies in and out of Austin. They are very costly. And for a reason. That task can get complicated.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,636

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    From the article
    '
    funny how the right wingers are defending the govt charging people to tell us what they're doing. When Lois Lerner doesn't produce an email, Congress launches an investigation and the wing nuts flip out.
    The IRS matter is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. That case involves obstruction.

  7. #57
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Not necessarily. As I said before, due to the scrutiny surrounding this incident having a third party involved in handling document requests would be "best practices".
    Yes, you did say that before. However, the fact that you said it earlier doesn't mean that it was true then or true now.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #58
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The IRS matter is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. That case involves obstruction.
    Because when the IRS doesn't produce an email, it's obstruction. When Ferguson doesn't produce an email, it's understandable
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #59
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Oh... my... God. I tell ya, some people. Threads like this remind me that the human species should never be taken too seriously. The arguments in defense of the city charging fees this high are some of the most brainless, moronic, idiotic arguments I have seen regarding any subject in quite a long time. I swear, the only possible "reasonable" explanation is that there's a full moon and several people are feeling the need to be argumentative for argument's sake.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #60
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Ferguson Demands High Fees To Turn Over City Files

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Oh... my... God. I tell ya, some people. Threads like this remind me that the human species should never be taken too seriously. The arguments in defense of the city charging fees this high are some of the most brainless, moronic, idiotic arguments I have seen regarding any subject in quite a long time. I swear, the only possible "reasonable" explanation is that there's a full moon and several people are feeling the need to be argumentative for argument's sake.
    And these same people have been going on and on for years about how terrible it is when the Obama admin doesn't release some info (ex IRS emails, classified info about Benghazi, ACA signup #'s, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •