Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 585

Thread: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

  1. #481
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Turkey is a NATO country. I'm sure they are not that weak. The holdup is that they have a Kurdish "problem" in Turkey so they want the Kurds to lose.
    Exactly. I was stationed in Turkey during 1991 and they were bombing the Iraq Kurds every night.

    During the last couple of years of the Reagan administration, we were supplying arms to both Iraq and Iran who were at war with each other. The American public was tending to side with Iraq, as we were still pissed about Iran holding US citizens as hostages. Then just a few years later we end up invading Iraq. Then we invaded Iraq a second time.

    Now we have Iran supporting and supplying the Iraq government with arms and we are tending to side with the Kurds, but only because they are fighting ISIS, and we view the Kurds the lessor of evils. I'm not sure that ANY of these people are exactly the good guys. That's the reason why I see no reason for the US to rush in to save anyone or to chose sided. this really isn't our war, it's probably not in our best interest to get involved any further than keeping ISIS contained.

    As long as ISIS is contained, it's of little consequence to the US if these people kill each other off. I've got a friend who keeps insisting that we should just "nuke 'em all", but I wonder why he thinks we should waste a nuke in that part of the world, seems to me that they are doing a mighty find job of killing each other without our help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  2. #482
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    ...
    Yeah. So far that plan is working out just awesome.
    I would have to agree with that. Then enemies of our enemies are killing our enemies, and the friends of our enemies are killing each other. No point in the US getting involved, it seems to me that they are resolving their issues the only way they know how, and doing a mighty find job of it.

    Exactly which group of potential terrorist are you wanting to save?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #483
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I would have to agree with that. Then enemies of our enemies are killing our enemies, and the friends of our enemies are killing each other. No point in the US getting involved, it seems to me that they are resolving their issues the only way they know how, and doing a mighty find job of it.

    Exactly which group of potential terrorist are you wanting to save?
    Yeah. If there is one thing that is awesome, it's millions of refugees, two nations soaked in blood, attempted genocide, and ungoverned space serving as a launch-pad for terrorist groups for years. Yeah. That's fantastic.

  4. #484
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    ...we are tending to side with the Kurds, but only because they are fighting ISIS, and we view the Kurds the lessor of evils...
    I've posted some Congressional Research Service resources on the Kurdistan Regional Government (Iraq) and also a link to that body's website and long-term vision in the Mideast forum (http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle...post1063853069).

    The KRG most definitely is a rare positive story in a highly unstable region.

  5. #485
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Yeah. If there is one thing that is awesome, it's millions of refugees, two nations soaked in blood, attempted genocide, and ungoverned space serving as a launch-pad for terrorist groups for years. Yeah. That's fantastic.
    Right and all we have to do is send our boys right in the middle of them with targets on their backs and they will all forget their differences and all start shooting at US. Then when we get tired of our young men coming home with their legs blown off,(20,000 wounded in Iraq alone) we leave and they pick right up where they left off. That's your plan alright. The fighting is so enticing that we just can't resist joining in the "fun". And the great thing is the rest of us can sit at home and watch it on TV.....Right after NCIS of course.

    There is another way.....We can make them clean their own latrines.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 10-11-14 at 12:42 AM.

  6. #486
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I've posted some Congressional Research Service resources on the Kurdistan Regional Government (Iraq) and also a link to that body's website and long-term vision in the Mideast forum (http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle...post1063853069).

    The KRG most definitely is a rare positive story in a highly unstable region.
    I agree but Turkey thinks they are devils and won't lift a finger to help them. This sectarian nonsense is unacceptable in a NATO nation.

  7. #487
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Right and all we have to do is send our boys right in the middle of them with targets on their backs and they will all forget their differences and all start shooting at US. Then when we get tired of our young men coming home with their legs blown off,(20,000 wounded in Iraq alone) we leave and they pick right up where they left off. That's your plan alright
    Oh, hey, look!



    A strawman!



  8. #488
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Oh, hey, look!



    A strawman!


    I glad you came to your senses and no longer support US combat troops on the ground in Iraq or Syria. You're showing a rare case of good judgment.

  9. #489
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Right and all we have to do is send our boys right in the middle of them with targets on their backs and they will all forget their differences and all start shooting at US. Then when we get tired of our young men coming home with their legs blown off,(20,000 wounded in Iraq alone) we leave and they pick right up where they left off. That's your plan alright. The fighting is so enticing that we just can't resist joining in the "fun". And the great thing is the rest of us can sit at home and watch it on TV.....Right after NCIS of course.There is another way.....We can make them clean their own latrines.
    Liberals can be very selective when it comes to acts of humanitarianism.

  10. #490
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Liberals can be very selective when it comes to acts of humanitarianism.
    Is that what war is to you? Is it humanitarian to subject a region to eternal war? How many civilians have died there since we got involved do you think? Actually they were the lucky ones. As long as we do all the meddling there will never be a resolution. Is that the goal?

Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •