Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 585

Thread: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

  1. #451
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    That still means it takes ten Canadians to equal one American, if you count Eskimos and walruses.
    Funny enough. To the point though. If Canadians want boots on the ground in Iraq or Syria, I think they should put them on the ground.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #452
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    202

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    If you are Commander-In-Chief, you have to have the action plan for all the possible scenarios. You should be able to do what is necessary to defeat the enemy. If you want to airstrikes were working, it is necessary not just to send planes and drop bombs, you need to have clear goals and know exactly what you want to achieve. Well, what Obama makes is not effective. As if he does it just for the record and not for the result

  3. #453
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
    If you are Commander-In-Chief, you have to have the action plan for all the possible scenarios. You should be able to do what is necessary to defeat the enemy. If you want to airstrikes were working, it is necessary not just to send planes and drop bombs, you need to have clear goals and know exactly what you want to achieve. Well, what Obama makes is not effective. As if he does it just for the record and not for the result
    What you are suggesting is that the president should be all-knowing. No one knows everything, and they have to rely on their advisors and subordinate leadership. Unless you are a high level government official who is coordinating with the military action, you have no knowledge as to whether or not his course of action is the best - you are just guessing blindly in the dark.

    For all we know, what we are doing about ISIS is all that we can do. I'm also fairly confident that we don't know everything that is being done and that the strategy has not been fully presented to the public.

    A few days ago someone was critisizing the president for announcing in advance that we would start bombing ISIS, as making that announcement eliminated the element of surprise. Now some are complaining that he announced "no American boots on the ground" - but if he had announced that we would put American combat troops into the war, the same people who have complained that he said we wouldn't, would be complaining that by saying we would we had given away our strategy to ISIS.

    The POTUS is always doomed in the eyes of the American public, who will always tend to assume that he isn't doing enough, when in reality he is doing all that can be done, but we just don't have privi to that info.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The POTUS is always doomed in the eyes of the American public, who will always tend to assume that he isn't doing enough, when in reality he is doing all that can be done, but we just don't have privi to that info.
    You don't know that he is doing nothing? http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/08/wo...ikes.html?_r=0

  5. #455
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You don't know that he is doing nothing? http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/08/wo...ikes.html?_r=0
    I'm not in Syria or Iraq, and I am certainly not listening in on White House conversations or the Pentagon. All I know is what I hear from the press, and for the most part, they aren't in Syria or Iraq or listening in on government conversations either. The press is reporting what governments is releasing, little more.

    And I'm not sure at all that the media is accurate. Earlier this week there was this interview with someone in Bagdad who claimed that ISIS was three miles away. Then Turkey issues a statement two days later claiming that ISIS was 60 miles from Bagdad. Who the heck really knows.

    We don't even have a clue as to how many ISIS fighters there are, estimates are all over the place. I'm suspecting that there are a lot fewer than the CIA's estimate range of 20,000 to 31,000. The reason I suspect that it is fewer, is because it is taking very few ISIS fighters to take over territory. When four ISIS fighters in a pickup truck can take over a village, it's not all that hard to extrapolate the total number of ISIS fighters based upon the amount of land they have captured and the population in that area.

    And I wonder why we don't know how many tanks and armored vehicles they have. It's hard to hide those things in the open desert, and we should know how many they seized from Iraq and Syrian troops. You also can't really purchase a lot of tanks on the black market, so it's fairly unlikely that they have many more than what Iraq and Syria have reported they lost to ISIS. So (just guessing), maybe 50? That's not exactly formidible, it may be to a small village, but not to any real army. And of those 50, how many have we already destroyed? And how many of them did ISIS unintentionally destroy (not knowing how to properly operate them). How many have been destroyed by the Kurds? It's entirely possible that ISIS now only as a handful or less of tanks and APCs. If you had lots tanks, why ride around in a pickup truck or a toyota corrola?

    Anyhow, I can think of no reason in the world that the POTUS wouldn't want a major military victory over ISIS between now and the election (or at least the election after that), thus I can't think of any reasons that we aren't already destroying every ISIS target we can find.
    Last edited by imagep; 10-09-14 at 05:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  6. #456
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I'm not in Syria or Iraq, and I am certainly not listening in on White House conversations or the Pentagon. All I know is what I hear from the press, and for the most part, they aren't in Syria or Iraq or listening in on government conversations either. The press is reporting what governments is releasing, little more.

    And I'm not sure at all that the media is accurate. Earlier this week there was this interview with someone in Bagdad who claimed that ISIS was three miles away. Then Turkey issues a statement two days later claiming that ISIS was 60 miles from Bagdad. Who the heck really knows.

    We don't even have a clue as to how many ISIS fighters there are, estimates are all over the place. I'm suspecting that there are a lot fewer than the CIA's estimate range of 20,000 to 31,000. The reason I suspect that it is fewer, is because it is taking very few ISIS fighters to take over territory. When four ISIS fighters in a pickup truck can take over a village, it's not all that hard to extrapolate the total number of ISIS fighters based upon the amount of land they have captured and the population in that area.

    And I wonder why we don't know how many tanks and armored vehicles they have. It's hard to hide those things in the open desert, and we should know how many they seized from Iraq and Syrian troops. You also can't really purchase a lot of tanks on the black market, so it's fairly unlikely that they have many more than what Iraq and Syria have reported they lost to ISIS. So (just guessing), maybe 50? That's not exactly formidible, it may be to a small village, but not to any real army. And of those 50, how many have we already destroyed? And how many of them did ISIS unintentionally destroy (not knowing how to properly operate them). How many have been destroyed by the Kurds? It's entirely possible that ISIS now only as a handful or less of tanks and APCs. If you had lots tanks, why ride around in a pickup truck or a toyota corrola?

    Anyhow, I can think of no reason in the world that the POTUS wouldn't want a major military victory over ISIS between now and the election (or at least the election after that), thus I can't think of any reasons that we aren't already destroying every ISIS target we can find.
    Obama doesn't see ISIS as an enemy, that's why you won't see a major victory.

    You're, right, tanks are easy to spot in the desert, but you have to actually LOOK for them.

    Four guys in a truck? You have a link for that claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #457
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obama doesn't see ISIS as an enemy....
    Did you watch his speech?

    ISIL poses a threat to the people of Iraq and Syria, and the broader Middle East including American citizens, personnel and facilities. If left unchecked, these terrorists could pose a growing threat beyond that region including to the United States. While we have not yet detected specific plotting against our homeland, ISIL leaders have threatened America and our allies. Our intelligence community believes that thousands of foreigners including Europeans and some Americans have joined them in Syria and Iraq. Trained and battle-hardened, these fighters could try to return to their home countries and carry out deadly attacks.

    Read the Full Text of Obama's ISIS Speech - The Wire
    Нава́льный 2018

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
    If you are Commander-In-Chief, you have to have the action plan for all the possible scenarios. You should be able to do what is necessary to defeat the enemy. If you want to airstrikes were working, it is necessary not just to send planes and drop bombs, you need to have clear goals and know exactly what you want to achieve. Well, what Obama makes is not effective. As if he does it just for the record and not for the result
    Its all about polling and votes. He could not care less.

  9. #459
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    What you are suggesting is that the president should be all-knowing.
    I dont see it that way, I think he's saying POTUS should be competent, and Obama is not.

  10. #460
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ISIS Boasts Air Strikes are not Effective

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Did you watch his speech? ISIL poses a threat to the people of Iraq and Syria, and the broader Middle East – including American citizens, personnel and facilities. If left unchecked, these terrorists could pose a growing threat beyond that region – including to the United States. While we have not yet detected specific plotting against our homeland, ISIL leaders have threatened America and our allies. Our intelligence community believes that thousands of foreigners – including Europeans and some Americans – have joined them in Syria and Iraq. Trained and battle-hardened, these fighters could try to return to their home countries and carry out deadly attacks.
    Obama has left them 'unchecked'.

Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •