Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,586

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Sure... The "kill em all" solution. Unrealistic.
    Yeah, that's what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    I can't support wholesale slaughter in any case, and especially here where you don't even know 'friend' from foe.

    Of course they will spit on your graves, an invading army is only welcome when the populace has suffered hard at the hands of their own government. Japanese lined the streets with home made flags when MacArthur rolled into Tokyo, not because they loved Americans, but because they had been starving, living on rats for weeks.

    People forget they have been occupied a lot in history, there is no love lost with the British, Russians will always be on heir **** list and now Americans.

    Instead of killing people at the rate of $1 million a head otr something, what if the US converted the poppy industry into a legitimate supplier of opiate medications? Income, work, infrastructue.

    In Germany, the 'enemy" came to be an ally against the Russians, not by being conquered and not right away, but after the Berlin Airlift and a few years of the Marshal Plan...that thinking is needed here as opposed to kill everything that we don't understand.
    Not talking about 'slaughter', but I will say, there is but one way to win a war, and that is to inflict enough death, misery, and pain til the the enemy knows it is too much to continue to wage. Short of that we are chasing our tails prolonging the suffering of both ourselves, and those living in these countries that have to put up with these people continually rebirthing, pillaging, and killing innocent people.

    I don't know but I am sick to death of taking the kinder, gentler war making, it doesn't work!
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #23
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Or it just signals that the historic trend of things. The Taliban has always been slowly coming back. We can not be in a constant war with them.
    Not if we go in there and win the damned thing....Make it so evident that to even contemplate things like this fraud of a religion we are kissing the arse of today, that the wrath will come down immediately.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #24
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    I can't support wholesale slaughter in any case, and especially here where you don't even know 'friend' from foe.

    Of course they will spit on your graves, an invading army is only welcome when the populace has suffered hard at the hands of their own government. Japanese lined the streets with home made flags when MacArthur rolled into Tokyo, not because they loved Americans, but because they had been starving, living on rats for weeks.

    People forget they have been occupied a lot in history, there is no love lost with the British, Russians will always be on heir **** list and now Americans.

    Instead of killing people at the rate of $1 million a head otr something, what if the US converted the poppy industry into a legitimate supplier of opiate medications? Income, work, infrastructue.

    In Germany, the 'enemy" came to be an ally against the Russians, not by being conquered and not right away, but after the Berlin Airlift and a few years of the Marshal Plan...that thinking is needed here as opposed to kill everything that we don't understand.
    Japan and Germany were beaten down into submission after years of aggressive destruction and death from the war. We have been trying to build Afghanistan and Iraq up for years (somewhat like the Marshal Plan), but the problem may be that they (Taliban, ISIS types, etc.) were not beaten down enough yet. That is why I think some argue that we needed to be more aggressive militarily and loosen up the rules of engagement.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Last Seen
    04-06-15 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    159
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    We have to leave some forces there. We still have troops in Germany, Japan and Korea. What's wrong with keep permanent bases where you need them?

    000001.jpg

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Perhaps learning from what happened in Iraq with ISIS, Afghanistan looks like they don't want that to happen to them, so they want some American troops to stay:

    > Newly inaugurated Afghan President Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai is expected to sign a vital security deal Tuesday to allow American soldiers to remain in the country past the end of the year, officials say.

    A senior Defense Department official confirmed to Fox News that the new president will sign the Bilateral Security Agreement allowing for 9,800 U.S. troops to remain in Afghanistan after 2014. The president also is expected to sign a NATO Status of Forces Agreement, which will allow a small NATO force to stay on as well.

    John Podesta, a senior adviser to President Obama, speaking to a news conference at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, said he would sign it on behalf of the U.S.

    The announcement comes after Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai was sworn in Monday as Afghanistan's new president, replacing Hamid Karzai in the country's first democratic transfer of power after the 2001 U.S.-led invasion toppled the Taliban. Karzai would not sign the security agreement with the U.S. <

    Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014, officials say | Fox News
    Perhaps Obama has pulled his head out-Ive said for some time that we very quickly were about to lose the peace in afghanistan like we have in Iraq.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    The Taliban is gonna come back one way or another.
    Why wash your hair its just going to get dirty again.

  8. #28
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,975

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Perhaps learning from what happened in Iraq with ISIS, Afghanistan looks like they don't want that to happen to them, so they want some American troops to stay:

    > Newly inaugurated Afghan President Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai is expected to sign a vital security deal Tuesday to allow American soldiers to remain in the country past the end of the year, officials say.

    A senior Defense Department official confirmed to Fox News that the new president will sign the Bilateral Security Agreement allowing for 9,800 U.S. troops to remain in Afghanistan after 2014. The president also is expected to sign a NATO Status of Forces Agreement, which will allow a small NATO force to stay on as well.

    John Podesta, a senior adviser to President Obama, speaking to a news conference at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, said he would sign it on behalf of the U.S.

    The announcement comes after Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai was sworn in Monday as Afghanistan's new president, replacing Hamid Karzai in the country's first democratic transfer of power after the 2001 U.S.-led invasion toppled the Taliban. Karzai would not sign the security agreement with the U.S. <

    Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014, officials say | Fox News
    Karzai wanted us to leave so we get rid of him. So we set up another stooge as president so that we can keep troops there in perpetuity. Just more proof that the military-industrial complex is alive and well and more of our soldiers will die in a pointless war with no end. I have no idea why we are still over there other than to keep our defense budget from being slimmed down.

  9. #29
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,709

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Sure... The "kill em all" solution. Unrealistic.
    It's more realistic than the notion that leaving Afghanistan helps end the war.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #30
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Afghan president to sign deal Tuesday allowing US troops to stay after 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    It's more realistic than the notion that leaving Afghanistan helps end the war.
    If we leave and no longer get involved in it the war does end for us.


Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •