Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 316

Thread: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Stereotypes harm society by spreading lies and making people less human. Stereotypes, even those with an element of accuracy, are inaccurate lies because no group of people is completely the same. They make people less human because we tend to perceive people as their stereotype rather than as a "regular person." Consciously we may strive to treat people without prejudice but entrenched stereotypes often drive our actual behavior.

    An example of the damage from a "positive stereotype": the employer of an Asian employee assigns him to accounting tasks because he believes the stereotype that all Asians are good at math. If that employee is not good at math his actual best talents will not be used and the employer will not have the best person doing the job.

  2. #282
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Good for them.

    FFS you still call natives "Indians", a name given them by a sailor lost at sea and starving who thought he was 10,000 miles east of where he relly was. No one on reserves was born in India so it's really time to lose the bigoted crap like "Redskins" and "Braves".
    Native americans don't call their warriors "braves"?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #283
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Stereotypes harm society by spreading lies and making people less human. Stereotypes, even those with an element of accuracy, are inaccurate lies because no group of people is completely the same. They make people less human because we tend to perceive people as their stereotype rather than as a "regular person." Consciously we may strive to treat people without prejudice but entrenched stereotypes often drive our actual behavior.

    An example of the damage from a "positive stereotype": the employer of an Asian employee assigns him to accounting tasks because he believes the stereotype that all Asians are good at math. If that employee is not good at math his actual best talents will not be used and the employer will not have the best person doing the job.
    Doesn't really apply to a sorts team name, though, since nothing is being asked of those who are allegedly being harmed.

    Also, that would be a pretty dumb employer whom I doubt would stay in business very long.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #284
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm not arguing any of those points, absolutely they got screwed over by the government which refused to honor their agreements. That's part of history. Now it's time to move on. Getting kicked in the teeth in the early to mid 1800s doesn't explain why some of these tribes are still on the same land, doing nothing with it today. It's long, long, long past time to move on. We can't blame them for their treatment nearly 200 years ago, we certainly can blame them for how they've chosen to live their lives over the past half-century.
    Getting kicked in the teeth explains why there are so many issues in the community. Imagine the land you use to own, which was stolen by Government, sold to others but it's worth $100 billion plus in current dollars and you not one penny of that over the last 100 years. For the Sioux (Lakota people) you are talking about $18,000 a year per person (55,000 living on reservations) for the last 100 years, or if the Government gave today finally paid up on all forest timber, gold, oil and other natural resources from the Sioux land it stole, today ($100 billion).. those 55,000 Sioux living on reservations would all get a check for $1.8 million.

    $1.8 million changes alot for people and this is my point. You think things have gotten better over the last 50 years for those who live on reservations and this is the furthest from the truth. High rates of poverty, ****ty education, horrible housing, horrible health care and at the end of the day... it's Uncle Sam's job to provide these things to them. If you are getting poor education, horrible housing, and crappy health care you are screwed even before you start. Even the poorest Americans get better service.

    Forbes did an article on what I am talking about.

    To this very day tribes are getting kicked in the teeth. So your high and mighty attitude of what they should do ignores the facts. Facts are Uncle Sam to this very day screws them over and keeps them in poverty.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  5. #285
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Cephus may be many things, but ignorant is most definitely not one of them. He's one of the more sober-minded and rational posters here.
    He's ignorant on this.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  6. #286
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name - CNN.com

    Very interesting. Go after corporate sponsors.
    This is the way to go about it. Not through the government getting involved. If you want to change something do what this guy is doing and hit them where it hurts, the pockets. There is nothing wrong with a tribal leader calling on its people to do this. I cannot see how ANYBODY can say he is out of line. He is a native american that is uncomfortable with the name, and instead of whining to Congress or the President to do something, he is being proactive and forcing change on his own.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  7. #287
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    that'll be hard because UPS is so much better than FedEx. Supporting Chick fli A is easy because its delicious.
    Chick-fil-a is outcompeted in its own niche by the Burger King Classic Chicken Sandwich and Wendy's Spicy Chicken. Even McDonalds has a better chicken sandwich value for dollar with the McChicken.

    And their fries are mediocere.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 09-28-14 at 08:39 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #288
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    This is the way to go about it. Not through the government getting involved. If you want to change something do what this guy is doing and hit them where it hurts, the pockets. There is nothing wrong with a tribal leader calling on its people to do this. I cannot see how ANYBODY can say he is out of line. He is a native american that is uncomfortable with the name, and instead of whining to Congress or the President to do something, he is being proactive and forcing change on his own.
    I disagree with his position, but I agree with everything you say regarding how he is going about it. If he can pull it off, more power to him. I believe it to be more of a faux outrage, but at the same time if it does get changed I won't lose any sleep over it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #289
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    I personally hope the Redskins never change their name. They have had that name for over 80 years.....The PC police must not win this issue.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #290
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,760

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    .....The PC police must not win this issue.........
    Must not?
    What will happen if they do?
    Do you foresee cataclysmic consequences?
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •