Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 316

Thread: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

  1. #261
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Meh- he informed me of how ignorant about air rifles I am in a thread yesterday. I shoot regularly (and well), I work on and repair them. I collect fine vintage German models, but I'm ignorant. Don't put much stock in it.
    I did imply you were ignorant of air rifles yesterday, I was mistaken. You are apparently simply disseminating disinformation in an effort to minimize the culpability of the young man who was killed by police, due to his own stupidity. But until now, I didn't really think you took it personally, I certainly didn't take our disagreement personally. I thought we had a friendly exchange earlier today. I guess I was mistaken.

    I've known FAL for a few years now, how long have you known him?

  2. #262
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    While it's irrelevant to my point, what you consider a positive aspect others might not. Even "positive" stereotypes are detrimental to society because the marginalization of contributions is harmful to society.
    Please expand on that. How, exactly, is a positive stereotype harmful to society?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #263
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    One of the least likeable qualities of our fellow "children of a common mother".
    My wife's Metis and last Christmas a poll in my living room said that 3 out of 3 Natives say the Redskins name sucks and shouldn't be allowed in this day and age but apparently US Natives disagree.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  4. #264
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The fact is, American Indian culture, and it doesn't really matter which one you're talking about because they've all suffered the same fate, they all lost the cultural lottery. They didn't succeed, others came along that were more successful and produced superior results. Therefore, sitting around clinging to a culture that is demonstrably inferior doesn't impress me. I don't care about their heritage, I don't care about anyone's heritage, I think it's equally stupid for people to call themselves hyphenated Americans. You're American. Deal with it. Native Americans are Americans. They need to deal with it. Lots of them have and have become extremely successful. Some of them have squandered their lives sitting on a useless chunk of land, dancing around a campfire. Those people have problems.
    Should the Jews also move on and forget? Since they also seemingly lost the "cultural lottery"

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name - CNN.com

    Very interesting. Go after corporate sponsors.
    Yea? in what universe is this going to happen?

  6. #266
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Should the Jews also move on and forget? Since they also seemingly lost the "cultural lottery"
    Yeah, actually, they should. They've spent a long time playing the Holocaust card too. Blacks need to knock off the slavery bit too.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #267
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The fact is, American Indian culture, and it doesn't really matter which one you're talking about because they've all suffered the same fate, they all lost the cultural lottery. They didn't succeed, others came along that were more successful and produced superior results. Therefore, sitting around clinging to a culture that is demonstrably inferior doesn't impress me. I don't care about their heritage, I don't care about anyone's heritage, I think it's equally stupid for people to call themselves hyphenated Americans. You're American. Deal with it. Native Americans are Americans. They need to deal with it. Lots of them have and have become extremely successful. Some of them have squandered their lives sitting on a useless chunk of land, dancing around a campfire. Those people have problems.

    Wow! I don't know if this is racism or ignorance. I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume ignorance. They didn't all suffer the same fate. Some tribes prospered (Cherokee, those not forced of land with gold) and some were brutally treated (Apache, Sioux and so on). It's perspective. US Government recognizes 500 some tribes as sovereign States, yet they ignore the treaties they signed with them. Federal Government assumed responsibility for them. Then proceeded to screw them over and over. Be it the Dawes Act that allowed the Federal Government to auction of land that were part of Reservations. Federal Government auctioned off the fertile land in the reservations. If you were Sioux, you lost the Black Hills, and to this day the Federal Government has failed to return the Black Hills back to the Sioux, as the Supreme Court ruled, rather they offered payment which has now a value of $1 billion.

    They have useless land because Federal Government took the fertile land, you really should read United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians in which they point out the conflict of interest the Federal Government has worked by for the last 125 years. That it's impossible for Uncle Sam to be a protectors of a people, their lands and their natural resources.. while at the same time having the power to take their land. Sioux's reservation use to extend Missouri River to the Black Hills (Half of South Dakota). Black Hills and Badlands are rich in natural resources. That's the difference between being rich and poor for them.

    Then Bureau of Indian Affairs being woefully underfund for the last 100 years which has lead to as you call it a "inferior culture". They didn't get funding for education like you did, they didn't access to decent health care a person in a city gets. They were basically excluded from the changes we benefited from. Substandard education and lack of jobs leads to other issues that effect them as well. It's a vicious cycle.

    So it's not like they are 100% at fault themselves. The system that said was going to protect them, let them down..
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  8. #268
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,298

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yea? in what universe is this going to happen?
    The Milky Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  9. #269
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Wow! I don't know if this is racism or ignorance. I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume ignorance. ..
    Cephus may be many things, but ignorant is most definitely not one of them. He's one of the more sober-minded and rational posters here.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #270
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Wow! I don't know if this is racism or ignorance. I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume ignorance. They didn't all suffer the same fate. Some tribes prospered (Cherokee, those not forced of land with gold) and some were brutally treated (Apache, Sioux and so on). It's perspective. US Government recognizes 500 some tribes as sovereign States, yet they ignore the treaties they signed with them. Federal Government assumed responsibility for them. Then proceeded to screw them over and over. Be it the Dawes Act that allowed the Federal Government to auction of land that were part of Reservations. Federal Government auctioned off the fertile land in the reservations. If you were Sioux, you lost the Black Hills, and to this day the Federal Government has failed to return the Black Hills back to the Sioux, as the Supreme Court ruled, rather they offered payment which has now a value of $1 billion.

    They have useless land because Federal Government took the fertile land, you really should read United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians in which they point out the conflict of interest the Federal Government has worked by for the last 125 years. That it's impossible for Uncle Sam to be a protectors of a people, their lands and their natural resources.. while at the same time having the power to take their land. Sioux's reservation use to extend Missouri River to the Black Hills (Half of South Dakota). Black Hills and Badlands are rich in natural resources. That's the difference between being rich and poor for them.

    Then Bureau of Indian Affairs being woefully underfund for the last 100 years which has lead to as you call it a "inferior culture". They didn't get funding for education like you did, they didn't access to decent health care a person in a city gets. They were basically excluded from the changes we benefited from. Substandard education and lack of jobs leads to other issues that effect them as well. It's a vicious cycle.

    So it's not like they are 100% at fault themselves. The system that said was going to protect them, let them down..
    I'm not arguing any of those points, absolutely they got screwed over by the government which refused to honor their agreements. That's part of history. Now it's time to move on. Getting kicked in the teeth in the early to mid 1800s doesn't explain why some of these tribes are still on the same land, doing nothing with it today. It's long, long, long past time to move on. We can't blame them for their treatment nearly 200 years ago, we certainly can blame them for how they've chosen to live their lives over the past half-century.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •