Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 316

Thread: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

  1. #241
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It has nothing to do with individuals either harmed or insulted. It has to do with racial stereotypes being bad for society. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.

    Let that one go down in history ecofarm, the first time I ever agreed with anything you posted.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  2. #242
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I know, right? God forbid we should want to highlight a positive aspect of something.
    Hey, I'm not the one saying that "warrior" is a negative. It's been pointed out that, to many, it would be a very positive aspect.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #243
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Your hyperbole doesn't dismiss the facts. Do you know a lick about Native American history? The warrior reference is a high compliment.


    NO. It. Is. Not.

    I do know a **** load about "American First Nations" History, and "warrior" is only a compliment in some tribes. Your posts here show the usual level of "cowboys and injuns" myth starting with the fact that there were over a hundred co-existing nations with well formed societies, complete with legal structure some of whom taught the Pinksins how to survive.

    The "warrior" label along with "redskin" is continuing the stereotypical myth that "Indians" are "savages", when it was they who were the scouts and frontiersmen who taught pinksins and were repaid by being kicked out of their traditional lands and slaughtered in "take no prisoners raids" killing women and children indiscriminately. The "savages" were the ones with cannons and muskets with a greed-thirst for free land
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  4. #244
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Hey, I'm not the one saying that "warrior" is a negative. It's been pointed out that, to many, it would be a very positive aspect.
    I know. I was agreeing with you.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #245
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    NO. It. Is. Not.

    I do know a **** load about "American First Nations" History, and "warrior" is only a compliment in some tribes. Your posts here show the usual level of "cowboys and injuns" myth starting with the fact that there were over a hundred co-existing nations with well formed societies, complete with legal structure some of whom taught the Pinksins how to survive.

    The "warrior" label along with "redskin" is continuing the stereotypical myth that "Indians" are "savages", when it was they who were the scouts and frontiersmen who taught pinksins and were repaid by being kicked out of their traditional lands and slaughtered in "take no prisoners raids" killing women and children indiscriminately. The "savages" were the ones with cannons and muskets with a greed-thirst for free land
    If you dismiss the savagery of Native Americans, then you don't know **** about their history. Yes, there were peaceful tribes, but the vast majority of them were brutally savage. Unless you think dashing the heads of infants against a tree is perfectly peaceful.

  6. #246
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    If you dismiss the savagery of Native Americans, then you don't know **** about their history. Yes, there were peaceful tribes, but the vast majority of them were brutally savage. Unless you think dashing the heads of infants against a tree is perfectly peaceful.

    FGFS I did not dismiss the savagery of "Native Americans", another false stereotype, but rather pointed out that pinkskins were at least just as "savage" and a lot of the time more. If you want to dwell on the "savages" feel free. But there is a whole other culture out there, from smoke ceremonies [that never involved a "peacepipe"] to a legal system some progressive societies are seeing as superior and are adopting them.

    So, before you accuse someone of ignorance, you may want to do some reading about these "Redskin savages!"
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    "red·skin noun \ˈred-ˌskin\
    CloseStyle: MLA APA ChicagoDefinition of REDSKIN
    usually offensive
    : american indian"
    Redskin - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    "Learner's definition of REDSKIN
    [count] informal + offensive
    : native american ◊ The word redskin is very offensive and should be avoided."
    Redskin - Definition for English-Language Learners from Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

    "redskin [red-skin] /ˈrɛdˌskɪn/ IPASyllables Word Origin noun, Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive.
    1.
    a North American Indian."
    Redskin | Define Redskin at Dictionary.com

    Why should dictionary definitions be considered significant in this discussion? Because dictionaries are created by reviewing and cataloging how words are actually used in books, newspapers, magazines, etc. The dictionary definition represents a consensus definition based on how the word is actually used. The fact that nearly every modern dictionary indicates that the word is considered offensive is solid evidence that research shows that the word is indeed generally considered offensive.

  8. #248
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    FGFS I did not dismiss the savagery of "Native Americans", another false stereotype, but rather pointed out that pinkskins were at least just as "savage" and a lot of the time more. If you want to dwell on the "savages" feel free. But there is a whole other culture out there, from smoke ceremonies [that never involved a "peacepipe"] to a legal system some progressive societies are seeing as superior and are adopting them.

    So, before you accuse someone of ignorance, you may want to do some reading about these "Redskin savages!"
    Where do you think I acquired my knowledge about native Americans? Speaking of ignorance, I suggest you research their history a little more deeply.

  9. #249
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Nope, not particularly. And somehow, I doubt that you'd find a sports team depicting themselves as limp-wristed prancing gay boys, that doesn't fit with the sports model, but it wouldn't actually affect society at all. It's just a sports team.
    Nihilism to protect racism. How attractive.


    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You confuse fact with opinion.
    That stereotypes marginalize those left out is a fact.

    If we take your comments at face value, and do not consider the troll potential, in effect what you are arguing for is the complete elimination of ALL sports team names. Just call them by their city and leave it at that. Even naming a team after an animal, Lions as one example, might marginalize someone who would view that as stereotyping lions.
    Nonsense. I'm against stereotyping a race. Stereotyping a job or animal is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I know, right? God forbid we should want to highlight a positive aspect of something.
    While it's irrelevant to my point, what you consider a positive aspect others might not. Even "positive" stereotypes are detrimental to society because the marginalization of contributions is harmful to society.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Let that one go down in history ecofarm, the first time I ever agreed with anything you posted.
    Well, now that you've joined the "race traitors", might as well go whole hog and define racism by societal factors and not merely the individual act of racial bigotry.

  10. #250
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    So what? It's still a stereotype and marginalizes those left out. It doesn't matter whether a stereotype is "positive" or negative, it marginalizes.
    Oh Bull! The Redskins have been the Redskins since 1936 in DC. With the backing for all of those years of the American Indian Nations...Now all of the sudden lib/progs want to shake down the team...I suppose of the Redskins offered to pay a generous sum to the Indian Nation all would be good...

    Stereotypes do not harm society?

    I suppose if it was the Washington Gays, depicted as pansies, you'd be ok with that stereotype too.
    The Washington Gays? What's that, a new liberal team proposing to play?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •