Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 316

Thread: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

  1. #221
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Let's not play dumb. The team logo, the fight song and the very fact that it's a football team stereotypes NAs as warriors. This, clearly, marginalizes NAs that do not fit the stereotype, thereby harming society.
    Anyone whose self-worth is affected by the name of a sports team has some serious psychological problems and needs professional help.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #222
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Let's not play dumb. The team logo, the fight song and the very fact that it's a football team stereotypes NAs as warriors. This, clearly, marginalizes NAs that do not fit the stereotype, thereby harming society.
    It's a freakin' compliment. Nobody is harmed, let alone all of society. Good grief, someone better fetch the fainting couch.

    Do you know anything about Native American history? Obviously not.

  3. #223
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    It's a freakin' compliment. Nobody is harmed, let alone all of society. Good grief, someone better fetch the fainting couch.

    Do you know anything about Native American history? Obviously not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Anyone whose self-worth is affected by the name of a sports team has some serious psychological problems and needs professional help.

    It has nothing to do with individuals either harmed or insulted. It has to do with racial stereotypes being bad for society. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It has nothing to do with individuals either harmed or insulted. It has to do with racial stereotypes being bad for society. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.
    In other words, you're just declaring victory without actually being able to demonstrate victory. Typical liberal.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #225
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,473

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Good luck with this. I've had this argument several times here and all I can say is, the perception of these things is different in the US than Canada.
    One of the least likeable qualities of our fellow "children of a common mother".
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #226
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It has nothing to do with individuals either harmed or insulted. It has to do with racial stereotypes being bad for society. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.
    It's not a racial stereotype, it's a historical reference and a positive one at that. Big difference.

  7. #227
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    It's not a racial stereotype, it's a historical reference and a positive one at that. Big difference.
    It's a racial stereotype and it marginalizes those left out.

  8. #228
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    breakdown of thread:..i cannot boycott the redskins and be affective [powerless tribal chief ], so i shall boycott those i can be effective against those that deal with the redskins.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    breakdown of thread:..i cannot boycott the redskins and be affective [powerless tribal chief ], so i shall boycott those i can be effective against those that deal with the redskins.
    Except he can't even be effective against FedEx.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #230
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,473

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Difference is that in Canada Native Canadians actually integrate in society, you see them everywhere. In the US you can go years without actually seeing one unless you go to a casino or reservation to buy cigarettes.

    Tim-

    You know, Tim. You have got that right. I have traveled the US by car extensively and the only place I come across "Indians" is on reserves, oops, reservations. I find though that I get treated very well on the reserves there, I suspect it might have something to do with BC Plates.

    I say we are much better for it.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •