Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 316

Thread: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

  1. #201
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    That should make UPS happy.

  2. #202
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I haven't asked them. I'm not the one presuming to know. Let's assume that some are, others not. What difference does that make? (I'm sure you can find some African Americans that are not offended by the N word, does that make it any less offensive?)
    So if only 1 person is offended by the name "Chicago Black Hawks" or "New York Giants" or "Oklahoma", then they need to be changed, no questions asked.....right?

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Your point is incomplete. Does it matter what percentage of a given population considers it offensive? If not, then it only takes one person to declare something offensive. If so, at what percentage does something become offensive enough to warrant change? 5%? 10%? 25%? 50%+?
    It also depends on whether the name is intrinsically offensive. Redskins is offensive, because we don't have teams called white skins, pink skins, blacks skins etc.

  4. #204
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    I'm no longer eating Pork skins until they change the name.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    I'm no longer eating Pork skins until they change the name.
    I'm not eating there because the service is slow and terrible.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #206
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,286

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So if only 1 person is offended by the name "Chicago Black Hawks" or "New York Giants" or "Oklahoma", then they need to be changed, no questions asked.....right?
    Of course. Note my answer is as inane as your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  7. #207
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    It also depends on whether the name is intrinsically offensive. Redskins is offensive, because we don't have teams called white skins, pink skins, blacks skins etc.
    How does "not [having] teams called white skins, pink skins, black skins, etc" show that Redskin is "intrinsically offensive"? Does the fact there is not a team called the "hillbillys", a regional based ethnic slur towards those of the southern appalachian areas, intrinsically prove that the name "Yankee" is offensive since it's a regional based ethnic slur towards those of the north eastern US?

    If someone wants to make an argument that Redskins is inherently offensive in every fashion of use then I can understand that....but this argument for WHY that would be the case just doesn't seem to make sense.

    Whites largely haven't referred to themselves as "white skins" as a means of identifying a group of their race. Same goes for blacks. However historically native americans have identified groups of native americans from disparate tribes as "red skins". In part because on an individual level, many native americans in the settler days didn't consider themselves "native americans" or "indians"...they considered themselves Apache, Seminole, Cherokee, Mohawk. Redskin was a term created by native americans as a way to refer to the various indigenious people as a collective when speaking to the new "white man" (or even at times "white skins" as they did call the settlers at times) that showed up.

  8. #208
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    It's their right to boycott whomever they wish. The publicity they can generate is going to create a bigger stir than any loss of business.

    Maybe they can boycott the State of Maryland too.

    Why not? I did, but not because something as stupid as faux offense at a name that has been in place for 50 years or more....Good grief...:
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #209
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    What makes it offensive is the history of how the word has been used. And it should be noted most dictionaries define it as an offensive term.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,134

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    They should boycott the state of Oklahoma, considering that name means "Red People".
    That's exactly right! If they have a burr up their asses over a sports team name, then shouldn't they be upset over other indian-related names...like states?

    This whole Redskins fiasco has wider consequences then some people think. If the Redskins eventually change their name due to the whining, then it'll set an ugly precedent.

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •