Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 316

Thread: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

  1. #171
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, there's a **** TON of questions about that study.

    Hopefully you may have better luck answering some of the questions I have about it than the last poster that pointed to it...because they provided nothing, and I've not been able to find anything myself.

    Do you have a link to the actual poll itself? All I've found was a press release..
    I realize that being a WA fan it's pretty hard to be unbiased. Ha ha. As to the study no. I just googled it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  2. #172
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I must of skipped out early because the manual was never passed to me. Last I checked there seems to be a lot of folks that are doing pretty well in life and are openly conservative.


    Yup, there's a lot of offensive terms and images that are accepted by the public. I actually call that progress but I know you folks yearn for the good old days.
    Oh, it quite obvious the covenants are well represented, no matter their origin.

    As to the PC issue, the hilarity is that its basis is held in the definition of "fad", and will always be nothing more than a tool to belittle the next group in line who was caught unaware of the most recent change in tide.

    How that is supposed to improve society is anyone's guess, but it's wispy nature most certainly echoes the Liberal/Progressive Movement.

  3. #173
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, there's a **** TON of questions about that study.

    Hopefully you may have better luck answering some of the questions I have about it than the last poster that pointed to it...because they provided nothing, and I've not been able to find anything myself.

    Do you have a link to the actual poll itself? All I've found was a press release.

    Do you have any information on what the methodology of the poll was. Scientific polls have this information included, but this particular press release did not. The little they spoke of the methodology suggested it was anything but a legitimate scientifically conducted poll. Rather than undergoing random sampling they inserted a purposeful bias into the process by going to specific locations and areas and only polling people there.

    To give an example, this would be like going into downtown Harlem or Compton, taking a poll about an issue of racism, and then proclaiming that as evidence of what "african americans" the country over believe and experience. That is in no way, shape, or form a legitimate method of scientifically conducting the polling process.

    Do you have any information about the margin of error in this poll. Again, that is something routinely found within any scientifically conducted poll...yet I've been able to find, nor have been provided, any information regarding this.

    I think you're misplacing your trust in this particular poll Top Cat, banking it only on the fact it's from a "public university" (ignoring that it's from an individual in a public university that has a distinct potential motivation to be biased and who has a predetermined stance on the issue, unlike the other major poll done on this matter) instead of actually looking at the meat of the poll.

    Trusting a news site that is one of the biggest offenders for reposting and reprinting exaggerated, dishonest, or just flat out WRONG information in the name of getting facebook hits and creating click bait is not a wise thing to do.
    My position on this is reasonably simple. We both know that if the name "Boston Blackskins" or some such derivation was around, it would be changed. Just as if the Washington Whiteskins would be changed.

    The only reason the name isn't getting changed is money. I suspect we can agree to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I realize that being a WA fan it's pretty hard to be unbiased. Ha ha. As to the study no. I just googled it.
    So was that first line supposed to be a joke, or an actual attempt to just write off all the actual legitimate issues I put forward?

  5. #175
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So was that first line supposed to be a joke, or an actual attempt to just write off all the actual legitimate issues I put forward?
    See my next post. And although it wasn't that, it certainly has to have an impact. You're a homer. Admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  6. #176
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Because I'm not NA.
    Your level of fail on this is staggeringly amazing and amusing.

    At what percentage level should something be deemed offensive enough to prompt something like a team name change?

    It's a generic question that crosses racial/ethnic boundaries and applies to pretty much any scenario, not only those involving Native Americans. Or, are you saying that some races/ethnicities are more sensitive than others, or maybe more deserving to be heard at a lower percentage than others?

    Why are you so scared of having an opinion? You might be kidding yourself into thinking you look considerate and noble by saying only Native American opinions count, but all you're doing is looking spineless and disqualifying yourself from the debate entirely. You have effectively stripped yourself of all relevance. So be it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    My position on this is reasonably simple.
    Which has zero to do with the post I just asked. If you want to debate about the "boston blackskins" or the reason it's not being changed or whatever else I'll be happy to do it...but not as a means of simply deflecting from having to either back up the information you previously posted or acknowledging that it's a very questionable bit of information.

  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    See my next post. And although it wasn't that, it certainly has to have an impact. You're a homer. Admit it.
    So a non-sensical defense, followed up by an attempt to change the topic, and ending with an ad hominen.

    Gotcha.

  9. #179
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So a non-sensical defense, followed up by an attempt to change the topic, and ending with an ad hominen.

    Gotcha.
    Oh stop. That was in jest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  10. #180
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Tribal chief: No FedEx until Redskins change team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Oh stop. That was in jest.
    I asked if it was in jest first and chalked it up as likely being just that. When you continued to rely on that as seemingly your only real answer to the questions or concerns I raiesd in my post I had little option but to believe it was NOT meant in jest.

    I'm absolutely a fan of the team. It absolutely has an impact on the fervency of me arguing against what I view as poor arguments and stances in favor of changing the name.

    Me being a fan of the team has nothing to do with questioning the scientific validity of the poll that was conducted given the amazing lack of information regarding it that's open to the public and the fact that the information that IS available largely calls into question it's validity as a scientifically conducted poll.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •