Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 403

Thread: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

  1. #61
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,193
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    I think cops are a dichotomy, in one sense they do a dangerous job with little appreciation or compensation for the comparative risk. But the very reason I believe a majority become police are for the power and ego trip that it gives them. Especially the younger ones, who haven't learned that being over zealous isn't going to change the world as much as wear them out. I've known for quite awhile that being polite and stroking their ego goes a long way in avoiding judgment calls. The reasons for many professionals doing what they do are similar with EMT's, firemen, leadership positions etc, it's a merit badge to wear.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #62
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    My defense is based on logic and reason, while considering all of the unfortunate factors that lead to the tragedy. Your narrative ends at the same place it begins: "cops are evil", that's circular logic.




    You're AGAIN ignoring all of the circumstances and presenting a strawman.

    You're not even making the slightest effort to examine this honestly. Good day.
    Mischaracterizing my argument is weaksauce, particularly when I've clearly stated my argument.

    At no point did the man threaten the officers or anyone in the store. If he isn't a threat, there's no reason to shoot.

    And by the way, you're ignoring the simple fact that even if he was carrying a loaded weapon, he has to the right too in Ohio.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  3. #63
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by aseidner View Post
    No indictment in police shooting at Ohio Walmart - CNN.com

    Granted that walking around in a store with a realistic looking air rifle is a terrible idea, I really think the police went way overboard here. Watching the surveillance video, it does not even appear that the police gave Crawford a chance to surrender, opting to shoot first and ask questions later. The 911 caller shares some of the blame for this incident as well, as he describes Crawford as if he's behaving in a threatening manner when he clearly is not. Some other customers walk by and do even appear remotely threatened or worried. The whole thing was a bad situation for sure, but I think that the police were way too trigger happy and should face charges.

    Here is the surveillance video for reference (shooting begins at 4:57): Surveillance video and 911 audio of Beavercreek Walmart shooting | Local News - WLWT Home
    We're a shoot first, ask questions later sort of society apparently.

    Who needs to be civil and respect the rights and life of your fellow man when you can just arm the government to the teeth and allow them to do whatever they want?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #64
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,537

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    According to the article, the gun was supposed to be wrapped (shrink wrap?) and in its box. It was not, it was sitting out in the open which is against store policy.

    We don't know if the young man would have opened a box and removed the wrapping, but I'm guessing he would not have.

    I don't get why it is important for you to ignore this factor.
    im not ignoring the factor, im just pointing out the facts.

    If you read my other posts in the thread I agree with most of what you're saying, im not trying to make excuses for the kid. Im just saying it would not be difficult to get one of those out of the box and could have even been done by another customer

  5. #65
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,537

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    It's an open carry state. Seeing a gun or a rifle in the hands of a person does not automatically make them a threat. Well, it shouldn't.
    i dont think you understand how open carry works

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think cops are a dichotomy, in one sense they do a dangerous job with little appreciation or compensation for the comparative risk. But the very reason I believe a majority become police are for the power and ego trip that it gives them. Especially the younger ones, who haven't learned that being over zealous isn't going to change the world as much as wear them out. I've known for quite awhile that being polite and stroking their ego goes a long way in avoiding judgment calls. The reasons for many professionals doing what they do are similar with EMT's, firemen, leadership positions etc, it's a merit badge to wear.
    Its amazing you know the telos of others. Im a Paramedic (and as required, before that was an EMT) and I sure as hell didn't get into it for any reason other than to get my hands dirty in medicine as young as possible.

    What do you do, so I can speculate on your aims?

  7. #67
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    i dont think you understand how open carry works
    Then explain it.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  8. #68
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,340

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Mischaracterizing my argument is weaksauce, particularly when I've clearly stated my argument.

    At no point did the man threaten the officers or anyone in the store. If he isn't a threat, there's no reason to shoot.

    And by the way, you're ignoring the simple fact that even if he was carrying a loaded weapon, he has to the right too in Ohio.
    That "argument" is based on ignoring circumstances, as illustrated by your manic context drops.

    If it was someone that had brought an assault rifle into the store from outside, was acting aggressively and loading the weapon, and then refused to put the weapon down when confronted by police... would you be making the same argument? What if it was a dumbass redneck militia member that had done so? I've a feeling that then you'd be ranting about how he got what he deserved because he threatened everyone by carrying an assault rifle into the store and acting stupid with it and refusing to disarm.

  9. #69
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,193
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its amazing you know the telos of others. Im a Paramedic (and as required, before that was an EMT) and I sure as hell didn't get into it for any reason other than to get my hands dirty in medicine as young as possible.

    What do you do, so I can speculate on your aims?
    Did you miss the part where I said a majority, not all? And I never said that it was a bad reason, ego is a big part of our person.

    I don't believe you probably even know why you subconsciously got into your field, so I'll accept your explanation.

    Don't worry about what I do, it's none of your business, unless I say it is.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #70
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,340

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    im not ignoring the factor, im just pointing out the facts.

    If you read my other posts in the thread I agree with most of what you're saying, im not trying to make excuses for the kid. Im just saying it would not be difficult to get one of those out of the box and could have even been done by another customer
    It's difficult enough, and against the rules, to dissuade someone of limited capacity (for whatever reason) from attempting to do so. The gun being easily available presumably contributed to the tragedy. Wanna bet, Walmart gets sued?

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •