Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 403

Thread: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

  1. #371
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,985

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    If his actions did not rise to the level that she felt he was a lethal threat, then he shouldn't have been shot.

    Or are you arguing that anyone who does something that makes someone the least bit concerned deserves to be shot?
    Why? Because she is a good judge of who is actually a lethal threat or not just because she was in the area or is a mother? That is ridiculous.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #372
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why? Because she is a good judge of who is actually a lethal threat or not just because she was in the area or is a mother? That is ridiculous.
    I have no idea what point you're trying to make there
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #373
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,985

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I have no idea what point you're trying to make there
    That judgments about who is a lethal threat or not are subjective, and can be influenced by training, experience, and emotions. Some may feel that someone was a more lethal threat than the police would in a given situation, while others may feel that someone was a much less lethal threat or only a slightly less lethal threat than the police do in a given situation.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #374
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That judgments about who is a lethal threat or not are subjective, and can be influenced by training, experience, and emotions. Some may feel that someone was a more lethal threat than the police would in a given situation, while others may feel that someone was a much less lethal threat or only a slightly less lethal threat than the police do in a given situation.
    But in *this* situation, the argument was this woman did *not* feel he was a lethal threat. At least, that was the argument you were making in that post.

    The facts show that he did not present an imminent threat at the time the police shot him. The gun was pointed down and being lowered

    I have no problem with the police shooting someone who poses an imminent threat. I even said so early in the thread (or maybe it was the other thread about this shooting) that the police were right to shoot him the second time when he rushed the police officer (after he fell down and got back up) because at *that* moment, he was causing an imminent threat
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #375
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,985

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    But in *this* situation, the argument was this woman did *not* feel he was a lethal threat. At least, that was the argument you were making in that post.

    The facts show that he did not present an imminent threat at the time the police shot him. The gun was pointed down and being lowered

    I have no problem with the police shooting someone who poses an imminent threat. I even said so early in the thread (or maybe it was the other thread about this shooting) that the police were right to shoot him the second time when he rushed the police officer (after he fell down and got back up) because at *that* moment, he was causing an imminent threat
    Just because she did not see him as an immediate lethal threat to her or her children, does not mean that others, especially police officers, would not see him as a potentially lethal threat (which is what prompted their response to enter the store and confront him), nor that his actions during that confrontation, even if not intentional, may lead others, aka the police, to view him as an imminent lethal threat at that moment.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #376
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Just because she did not see him as an immediate lethal threat to her or her children, does not mean that others, especially police officers, would not see him as a potentially lethal threat (which is what prompted their response to enter the store and confront him), nor that his actions during that confrontation, even if not intentional, may lead others, aka the police, to view him as an imminent lethal threat at that moment.
    None of Crawfords actions that were viewed by the police presented an imminent threat. Police officers are supposed to be able to accurately judge threats. A police officer who can not do so should be removed from the force. This officer did a poor job of assessing the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #377
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,985

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    None of Crawfords actions that were viewed by the police presented an imminent threat. Police officers are supposed to be able to accurately judge threats. A police officer who can not do so should be removed from the force. This officer did a poor job of assessing the situation.
    In your opinion. You don't know what the cops saw that they viewed as a threat. Perhaps it is you that did not see the threat they saw. Obviously people on that grand jury felt there was some sort of threat there for the police to judge in the situation.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #378
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by aseidner View Post
    Granted that walking around in a store with a realistic looking air rifle is a terrible idea, I really think the police went way overboard here.
    There seems to be a lot of police going overboard lately. They seem to just assume we're all criminals and act accordingly. Thinking here of the guy in Minnesota (I think) who was sitting in a public area while waiting for his kids and ended up in jail; and the firefighter in Oakland whose kids were ordered to put their hands on their heads and they were held at gunpoint until the father came out of the firehouse where he was shutting the door.

    Police work, it turns out, is NOT among the most dangerous occupations. Whatever happened to talking a situation down instead of shooting people? Didn't a cop's best weapon used to be their brain and their ability to talk to people?

  9. #379
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,985

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    There seems to be a lot of police going overboard lately. They seem to just assume we're all criminals and act accordingly. Thinking here of the guy in Minnesota (I think) who was sitting in a public area while waiting for his kids and ended up in jail; and the firefighter in Oakland whose kids were ordered to put their hands on their heads and they were held at gunpoint until the father came out of the firehouse where he was shutting the door.

    Police work, it turns out, is NOT among the most dangerous occupations. Whatever happened to talking a situation down instead of shooting people? Didn't a cop's best weapon used to be their brain and their ability to talk to people?
    He ended up in jail because he was uncooperative in the police investigating the situation. He was being an asshole and breaking the law by not cooperating with the police. In all likelihood, he would have been free to leave long before even the confrontation he instigated took had he simply cooperated with the police officer.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #380
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    None of Crawfords actions that were viewed by the police presented an imminent threat.
    "Crawford did not comply with their commands to drop his weapon."

    There is the threat.

    Police officers are supposed to be able to accurately judge threats.
    They gave warning to Crawford, he failed to comply with orders that would have defused the situation without being shot...

    A police officer who can not do so should be removed from the force.
    None existed here.

    This officer did a poor job of assessing the situation.
    You are not in LE, nor are you capable of assessing the situation with the limited evidence we know here. Your opinion is noted, I disagree with it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •