Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 403

Thread: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

  1. #301
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Why not shoot this guy? He has a REAL gun in a department store.

    Attachment 67173809
    He doesn't even have a hand on the gun. Hard to shoot with a packiage of cookies in your hand, or without handling the gun itself, wouldn't you think?
    As for red flags, it was the lack of awareness, and the lack of concern/carelessness with handling the "gun" that are the red flags. If you saw someone in Walmart holding what you thought was a rifle, and he displayed a lack of concern, or a lack of the ability to safely handle it, you would pretty likely be worried. I am very familiar with firearms, and I know that I would have been. If I see you walking around holding what I think is a rifle, and I think your finger is on the trigger, I am going to be zoning in on you like a laser.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #302
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Ronald Ritchie lied about what happened in the store. He lied about being an "Ex-Marine". And he was dishonorably discharged after 7 months because he had a fradulent enlistment. The guy is a habitual liar and I'm not at all surprised that you're doing what you can to defend that liar by making excuses for him.

    He may have believed he was "an ex-marine" too right? He may have believed whatever falsehoods he told to fradulently enlist in the Marines in the first place too right? Ronald Ritchie has a long history of "maybe believing" all kinds of false statements he's made.
    You cannot prove he "lied" about what happened in the store, only that he did not get information correct. As I've asked before, when is giving wrong information out actually lying? Is it anytime a person gives out wrong/bad information, whether intentionally done or not? Or is it only when the information is intentionally given out wrong, the person knowing fully well that it is wrong?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #303
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    He doesn't even have a hand on the gun. Hard to shoot with a packiage of cookies in your hand, or without handling the gun itself, wouldn't you think?
    As for red flags, it was the lack of awareness, and the lack of concern/carelessness with handling the "gun" that are the red flags. If you saw someone in Walmart holding what you thought was a rifle, and he displayed a lack of concern, or a lack of the ability to safely handle it, you would pretty likely be worried. I am very familiar with firearms, and I know that I would have been. If I see you walking around holding what I think is a rifle, and I think your finger is on the trigger, I am going to be zoning in on you like a laser.
    It concerned me a lot that he was swinging it back and forth, even up to waste and chest level, and a couple of times slinging it up on his shoulder. Those are all gestures that should not be done in a public place such a WalMart. Time and place were wrong for how this weapon was being handled. (Some things were just wrong period, no matter time and place, but there were some major things that were definitely time and place dependent.)
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #304
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    If you don't act in a threatening manner, or do something really stupid such as running away, the cops have no reason to shoot. Everything this guy did was a red flag.
    Goodness, he didn't point the weapon at anyone, yell at anyone, pursue anyone - he was holding a pellet gun he picked off the shelf in Walmart while talking on the phone in a quiet corner of Walmart. He didn't move from that position for 5 minutes, people came and went from the area, he didn't turn towards them, point the gun at them, or otherwise even acknowledge them.

    And he was 'running away' from a person who just SHOT HIM. You're expecting a person to behave calmly after just getting shot. It's an unfair and entirely unrealistic expectation of anyone in that circumstance.

  5. #305
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Why not shoot this guy? He has a REAL gun in a department store.

    Attachment 67173809

    Maybe because he isn't guilty of the obvious "red" flag, like this guy...

    Attachment 67173810

    or this guy.



    Is Open Carry Dangerous For A Black Man? - Black Man With A Gun

    John Crawford Shooting: Open Carry for Whites; Open Season on Blacks - The Root
    The first guy isn't holding the gun at all. No hands on the weapon, not swinging it around. The second guy, same thing. They don't have any hands on those weapons. It has absolutely nothing to do with their skin color and everything to do with the situation, what they are doing with the weapon.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #306
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    He doesn't even have a hand on the gun.
    Good idea ignoring the video! That guy also didn't have a hand on the gun....

  7. #307
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The first guy isn't holding the gun at all. No hands on the weapon, not swinging it around. The second guy, same thing. They don't have any hands on those weapons. It has absolutely nothing to do with their skin color and everything to do with the situation, what they are doing with the weapon.
    You left one out.... hilarious.

  8. #308
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Goodness, he didn't point the weapon at anyone, yell at anyone, pursue anyone - he was holding a pellet gun he picked off the shelf in Walmart while talking on the phone in a quiet corner of Walmart. He didn't move from that position for 5 minutes, people came and went from the area, he didn't turn towards them, point the gun at them, or otherwise even acknowledge them.

    And he was 'running away' from a person who just SHOT HIM. You're expecting a person to behave calmly after just getting shot. It's an unfair and entirely unrealistic expectation of anyone in that circumstance.
    Pretty sure she was referring to everything he did before the cops even showed up, such as what he was actually doing with the weapon while in the store, swinging it back and forth, swinging it up to his chest, as if he was going to aim it at someone, swinging it onto his shoulder, making gestures as if he was loading it. And the cops didn't know it was just a pellet/BB gun, only that it was a rifle. And the reports they had said that he was aiming it at people. The guy who called and even some of the other people who came near him did believe he had a real rifle and that he was a threat.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #309
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Good idea ignoring the video! That guy also didn't have a hand on the gun....
    Which guy didn't have a hand on the gun? Both the guy in the third video and the guy who got shot and killed in WalMart were touching the gun. The guy in the video you posted can not be proven to only be harassed because he is black. Where did this take place? When? What sort of area is it? What is the racial makeup? The crime statistics? Does anyone in the area know the guy? What if it was a white guy doing the same thing, carrying an AR-15 in that area (first) rather than a black guy? Do you know what would have happened or are you only speculating? Have no white guys ever been harassed, even arrested for openly carrying an AR15 or some other weapon?

    Just a few years back, a white woman was harassed, I believe by the cops but I know by the park, for having her holstered weapon at her son's soccer game. They revoked her CCP for it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: No indictment in police shooting death of Ohio man carrying air rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Pretty sure she was referring to everything he did before the cops even showed up, such as what he was actually doing with the weapon while in the store, swinging it back and forth, swinging it up to his chest, as if he was going to aim it at someone, swinging it onto his shoulder, making gestures as if he was loading it. And the cops didn't know it was just a pellet/BB gun, only that it was a rifle. And the reports they had said that he was aiming it at people. The guy who called and even some of the other people who came near him did believe he had a real rifle and that he was a threat.
    I suppose, and I'm including myself, you see what you want to see. When he's swinging the gun, no one is in front of him. It's not like he's facing down the aisle, and with kids in the direction he's facing, the gun is swinging back and forth in a way that points the muzzle at the kids. He's facing the shelf.

    And I've said many times I think the cops mishandled this, but I can understand why - it was a perfect storm of a customer picking up a product off the shelf in a store that sells them, and it's a pellet gun, a delusional caller, and a trigger happy police force who based on the caller had them believing they were confronting a mad man. I understand WHY, and I am not at all sure I'd have indicted the police officer, but that's different than blaming the victim and absolving the police of any of their (to me obvious) mistakes, mainly not giving the guy even a remote chance to comply with the order to put down the gun.

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •