Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

  1. #1
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    RABAT, Morocco (AP) Algerian extremists allied with the Islamic State group have decapitated a French hostage after France ignored their demand to stop airstrikes in Iraq, according to a video obtained Wednesday by a U.S.-based terrorism watchdog.

    A group calling itself Jund al-Khilafah, or Soldiers of the Caliphate, had said they would kill French mountaineer Herve Gourdel after abducting him Sunday unless France ended its airstrikes against Islamic State fighters in Iraq within 24 hours.

    The French government insisted it would not back down.

    In the video, masked gunmen from the newly formed group that split away from al-Qaida's North Africa branch, pledged their allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State group, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and said they were fighting his enemies.



    So, is there any doubt, the war has begun?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    It's not a war; we're just dropping bombs on people.

    war
    wr/
    noun
    noun: war; plural noun: wars

    1.
    a state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state.

    I mean, if you look at the definition, clearly dropping bombs doesn't...wait, well, forget the definition. As long as we don't call it a war it is not actually a war. Just because things are blowing up and people are dying it doesn't mean it is an act of war. Duh...

  3. #3
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    RABAT, Morocco (AP) — Algerian extremists allied with the Islamic State group have decapitated a French hostage after France ignored their demand to stop airstrikes in Iraq, according to a video obtained Wednesday by a U.S.-based terrorism watchdog.

    A group calling itself Jund al-Khilafah, or Soldiers of the Caliphate, had said they would kill French mountaineer Herve Gourdel after abducting him Sunday unless France ended its airstrikes against Islamic State fighters in Iraq within 24 hours.

    The French government insisted it would not back down.

    In the video, masked gunmen from the newly formed group that split away from al-Qaida's North Africa branch, pledged their allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State group, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and said they were fighting his enemies.



    So, is there any doubt, the war has begun?
    I think the idea that we're going to contain this threat is seriously flawed, and this news shows just one reason why containment isn't a viable option.

  4. #4
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I think the idea that we're going to contain this threat is seriously flawed, and this news shows just one reason why containment isn't a viable option.
    I'm with you my friend. Interesting days ahead...

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    They didn't give the French much time from their Ultimatum Sunday. Which is when ISIS called for US and French citizens to be killed. These pukes moved out Right away.

    Also ISIS put out a video calling on all Lone Wolves to go after US Military.....to find out where our people live. Then kill them and their families in their homes.

    So far the Air Strikes have not taken out their communications.

    It has our people thinking and issuing a Bulletin out to all Law Enforcement.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...pathizers.html

  6. #6
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I think the idea that we're going to contain this threat is seriously flawed,
    please explain why you have arrived at this conclusion
    ... and this news shows just one reason why containment isn't a viable option.
    why is this murder one reason why containment isn't a viable option?


    for extra credit, share with us what approach IS found a viable option to overcome the isis forces
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I think the idea that we're going to contain this threat is seriously flawed, and this news shows just one reason why containment isn't a viable option.
    The probable goal is not 100% containement. Rather, the goal is to prevent the establishement of another quasi state dedicated to Jihad ideaology (ala Taliban part of Afghanistan).

    The prevention of such a state would limit the ability of the terrorists to openly recruit, screen and train thousands of jihadist volunteers for attacks against the West like 9-11.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 09-24-14 at 03:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    please explain why you have arrived at this conclusion
    Because radical Islam has become a nearly global movement. Take a good look at the globe, and pick the few countries where it hasn't had any affect.

    why is this murder one reason why containment isn't a viable option?
    Because of the above.


    for extra credit, share with us what approach IS found a viable option to overcome the isis forces
    I let this one slide right this second. We did receive some indication from our military at the outset that a more robust response was necessary. They were over-ruled.

  9. #9
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    The probable goal is not 100% containement. Rather, the goal is to prevent the establishemnt of another quasi state dedicated to Jihad ideaology (ala Taliban part of Afghanistan).

    The prevention of such a state would limit the ability of the terrorists to openly recruit, screen and train thousands of jihadist volunteers for attacks against the West like 9-11.
    It seems to me that these people being all together, in one area(State) would be preferable to the fragmented cells that seem to exist now in every nook and cranny of the globe. It's almost like opening up the seed pod and watching the seeds be carried off and scattered by the wind. Sure, the pod is destroyed but what happens with the seeds when they land and take root?

  10. #10
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Algerian extremists behead French hostage

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Because radical Islam has become a nearly global movement. Take a good look at the globe, and pick the few countries where it hasn't had any affect.
    only in some portions of the middle east, where governments are unable to maintain in control, are tribes able to flourish
    this is hardly an ideology that has spread globally

    Because of the above.
    since you were in error above, then this is in error, too

    I let this one slide right this second.
    that's might white of you [/sarcasm for those who need the indicator]

    We did receive some indication from our military at the outset that a more robust response was necessary. They were over-ruled.
    share links with us which will substantiate your assertion
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •