Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 724

Thread: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

  1. #701
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The Bush administration isn't the topic of this thread.
    Well, that's your opinion. I already expressed mine on the GWB Admin and why I have a hard time reconciling "limited government" and "government always fails" conservative principles with the conservative desire to teach kids to obey authority and fall in line.

    I guess you don't understand my position or line of reasoning, but whatever...

  2. #702
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    I have studied philosophy and the philosophy of natural rights, and that's all it is, a philosophical view to explain the world and human agency. As I said before, we now know a lot more about the human record and history than Locke knew when he wrote about the natural rights of men. He made a lot of assumptions about human nature that was flawed.

    It's fine you accept the philosophy. I don't have issue with your accepting a philosophy, but accept it for what it is. It's a philosophical view from the Enlightenment Era.

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the Constitution only has natural rights and privileges.............there is nothing else.

    i did not say at all you don't have a right to protest.....i stated ....nothing is a protest if it involves the destruction of property........how can the right to protest be a right by your action if you destroy property...... therefore it is civl unrest....not a protest...protest does not involve property destruction... the violation of rights.

    if you disobey the law, then you must bare the consequences of that action, plain and simple.

    well you may not believe natural rights, but they are there, government has never created a right, only positive law to secure them, those natural rights you don't believe in...if you think that's not true,..... produce a statue granting a right.

    if you read the Romans, they also believed in unwritten law.

  3. #703
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I have studied philosophy and the philosophy of natural rights, and that's all it is, a philosophical view to explain the world and human agency. As I said before, we now know a lot more about the human record and history than Locke knew when he wrote about the natural rights of men. He made a lot of assumptions about human nature that was flawed.

    It's fine you accept the philosophy. I don't have issue with your accepting a philosophy, but accept it for what it is. It's a philosophical view from the Enlightenment Era.
    then explain where do we get our rights.

    because there are no statues granting any rights.... none, and the bill of rights do not grant any either.

    rights are negative law or unwritten law. our declaration of Independence confirms this....and the Constitution embodies it.

    so please...... show me a law creating a right.
    Last edited by Master PO; 09-29-14 at 11:41 PM.

  4. #704
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    There is nothing to debate. You simply think a philosophical view of the world is more than a philosophical view...



    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    then explain where do we get our rights.

    because there are no statues granting any rights.... none, and the bill of rights do not grant any either.

    rights are negative law or unwritten law. our declaration of Independence confirms this....and the Constitution embodies it.

    so please...... show me a law creating a right.

  5. #705
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    There is nothing to debate. You simply think a philosophical view of the world is more than a philosophical view...
    you did not answer, where do rights come from,....if not from our humanity.

    i can explain where they come from, ...you have failed to state anything for your argument...accept..its a philosophical view

  6. #706
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,680

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Bunker Hill was a civil protest. No. Boston Massacre was a labor dispute. No.

    Sorry, no facts in your posts. I don't need to read any books.
    get a grip and read a book. it will help you
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #707
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post


    You're getting defensive for no reason. We are just discussing opinions, not making accusations about each other.

    Many of your questions are non sequitur.

    I never said patriotism is crap, I said it cannot be taught. People express it in different ways. I don't assume studying the constitution has been shelved, but studying the constitution is enough. I took issue with teaching kids to "obey authority," and it doesn't matter if the opinion of these high school kids is right or wrong. I don't make black and white judgements about most opinions and protests unless the issue is extreme like neo nazism, and these kids aren't nazis. They have a right to protest, and that's all I care about. I don't care what their opinion is and if I agree or disagree. I don't care what they are protesting. I simply support their freedom to protest.
    In other words, you have no idea whether they teach about the Constitution now, or whether the Constitution was part of the proposed curriculum. You just think it's neat to protest without any reason for the protest. Fair enough.

  8. #708
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    get a grip and read a book. it will help you
    Repeating the same tired line because you were schooled doesn't change the fact that you flailed terribly in this thread.

  9. #709
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Well, that's your opinion. I already expressed mine on the GWB Admin and why I have a hard time reconciling "limited government" and "government always fails" conservative principles with the conservative desire to teach kids to obey authority and fall in line.

    I guess you don't understand my position or line of reasoning, but whatever...
    It's not my opinion. It's in the OP. The children weren't protesting the Bush administration.

  10. #710
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    These are AP High School students and these students care more about their education than you claim
    Hmmm....
    http://www.educationdive.com/news/co...misled/314431/

    NEA linked to student walk-out organised by Colorado teacher's union
    The Jefferson County Education Association (JCEA) teachers’ union plan to use hundreds of students as pawns in their endeavor to exert control over the district’s school board was organized by a specialist funded by the National Education Association (NEA), one of the nation’s largest teachers’ unions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •