Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 724

Thread: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

  1. #61
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, is the administration engaging in "treason" or "tyranny" when it hustles protesters into "free speech zones"? Because outside of the security questions, I think that practice stinks. I didn't like it when Bush did it, and don't like it now when "the One" does it...But let's be clear, Not all protests are "patriotic"....
    Oh, I find free speech zones to clearly be an act of treason and tyranny. Free speech zone is America, not fenced off little areas miles away from political conventions in order for the politicians to play down protest and make themselves look good for the press.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #62
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Oh, I find free speech zones to clearly be an act of treason and tyranny. Free speech zone is America, not fenced off little areas miles away from political conventions in order for the politicians to play down protest and make themselves look good for the press.
    On that we can agree. However, on this topic, conservatives wanting to not foster an anti American message in text books written by jokers like Ward Churchill, and approved by boards headed by characters like Bill Ayres is totally reasonable in my mind...That some snot nosed little socialist anarchists don't like it matters not to me.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #63
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's a sad day when HS kids protest patriotism.
    Some may claim those who engaged in the Boston Tea Party were patriots yet others may say they engaged in civil disobedience.

    What do you think?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  4. #64
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah...you're missing a "not". Dying for your country is not the greatest form of patriotism....

    Well, there you have it. You originally tried to defend an idiotic quote by equating it with a perfectly reasonable quote. When backed into a corner with the fact the the two quotes are actually different you now defend the idiotic quote on its own merits by agreeing with its central premise (which is mind numbingly stupid).

    You are at least logically consistent now, albeit morally indefensible.

    Who has sacrificed more for their country, the dead soldier of the angry protester? You say protester.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    On that we can agree. However, on this topic, conservatives wanting to not foster an anti American message in text books written by jokers like Ward Churchill, and approved by boards headed by characters like Bill Ayres is totally reasonable in my mind...That some snot nosed little socialist anarchists don't like it matters not to me.
    Yes, but we do have to hear it all. America is great, the foundations of the Republic are deserving of proliferation and defense. But we've done some messed up things, and we need to know we did messed up things, acknowledge it so that we can push forward to a better tomorrow. It wasn't all rainbows and fresh baked apple pies, and sugar coating it just to sugar coat patriotism is many times an act of fascism, and a way to get people to not think about an issue.

    I'd rather the whole truth be told and for the individuals to make up their own minds.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #66
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Some may claim those who engaged in the Boston Tea Party were patriots yet others may say they engaged in civil disobedience.

    What do you think?
    They weren't patriots as they weren't defending a country at that point. They were rebels, which are not patriots.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Well, there you have it. You originally tried to defend an idiotic quote by equating it with a perfectly reasonable quote. When backed into a corner with the fact the the two quotes are actually different you now defend the idiotic quote on its own merits by agreeing with its central premise (which is mind numbingly stupid).

    You are at least logically consistent now, albeit morally indefensible.

    Who has sacrificed more for their country, the dead soldier of the angry protester? You say protester.
    Are you done lying about my quotes now?

    Your last conclusion is also erroneous, can you make one, just 1, honest post?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #68
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    They weren't patriots as they weren't defending a country at that point. They were rebels, which are not patriots.

    Would they have been rebels if they were being taught to just respect authority?


    Let me ask you this, are you for a "small" government? If yes, how do you think you are going to be able to achieve that without a fight? Because that ship has long sailed away. If you are for a large government, then I can see where you would applaud the efforts to downplay civil disobedience.

    Which is why I really don't get why conservatives have this platform of small government yet want to write history books that teach the opposite of that happening. Maybe as a conservative you can help me understand?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  9. #69
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum changes that would promote patriotism | Fox News







    I'm with the students on this one. Complete bs on the part of that school board. No curriculum should be biased or censored, just straight facts.

    That's precisely what the school board is trying to prevent with this, the existing anti-American bias. Fire any teachers who walked out.

  10. #70
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's precisely what the school board is trying to prevent with this, the existing anti-American bias. Fire any teachers who walked out.

    I think neither anti nor pro American bias should be taught. Just teach the kids the facts without any bias either way and let them make their own conclusions on historic events.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •