Page 61 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 724

Thread: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

  1. #601
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Like what exactly?

    I ask because I don't believe that's true. In fact, I believe opposite is true. The simple fact that Columbus is celebrated is evidence of this.
    Like the school board, those who claim these kids were being taught that American is bad can not and will not provide any specific evidence that it is true
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #602
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    All my college history professors were ultra liberal and assigned incredibly biased books to read. I would just read the chapter titles and write what I knew the professors wanted to hear and I do not think I ever got less than a 95% on a paper.
    I think professors like that are the catalyst for the proposed changes offered by the conservative school board member. Its probably a worthwhile discussion to have to point out and eliminate ALL of the instructor bias. Liberal bias is no less repugnant than a proposed conservative bias.

  3. #603
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I think professors like that are the catalyst for the proposed changes offered by the conservative school board member. Its probably a worthwhile discussion to have to point out and eliminate ALL of the instructor bias. Liberal bias is no less repugnant than a proposed conservative bias.
    Discuss? Yes. Moderate? Yes. Eliminate? Absolute folly.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #604
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I think professors like that are the catalyst for the proposed changes offered by the conservative school board member. Its probably a worthwhile discussion to have to point out and eliminate ALL of the instructor bias. Liberal bias is no less repugnant than a proposed conservative bias.
    What liberal bias?

    Again, I ask because I don't see the so-called blatant liberal bias so many conservatives are complaining about.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  5. #605
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    I favor teaching the constitution and the philosophical concept of individual freedom and liberty. I disfavor teaching children to blindly obey authoritative structures.

    Not only did Rosa Parks protest, the Boston Tea Party was a protest. The American Revolution was blatant disregard for British authority.

    Not all laws, governments, and forms of authority should be obeyed and trusted. If you study history it becomes obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no you don't have to obey the law, you can go to jail, however respect for authority is obeying law, and it should be taught, or do you favor people flaunting the law.

    Rosa parks fought injustice in law making, she was being denied a "privilege" of government, cause no one has a right to ride a bus.

    the 14th amendment states one state shall deny citiznes privileges it grants to other citiznes, unless it in the interest of the state...the government against her was wrong in its actions.

  6. #606
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    I brought it up my first quote which you responded to...

    I am simply stating my opinion on the Bush Admin and it's conservative supporters, and you seem to be taking my comments personally for reasons beyond my understanding.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Well, considering you keep bringing up the Bush administration and conservatives, I have no idea who you're posting to, since I mentioned neither.

  7. #607
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Discuss? Yes. Moderate? Yes. Eliminate? Absolute folly.
    The Jefferson County school district already has a committe that reviews the curriculum. However, unlike the one this new school board created, its' members were not handpicked by the 3 new members of the school board.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #608
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The Jefferson County school district already has a committe that reviews the curriculum. However, unlike the one this new school board created, its' members were not handpicked by the 3 new members of the school board.
    I was in particular referring to Vance's suggestion that we could somehow craft a historical narrative that was not influenced by scholar's biases, be they conservative, moderate, liberal, socialist, or postmodern.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #609
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I favor teaching the constitution and the philosophical concept of individual freedom and liberty. I disfavor teaching children to blindly obey authoritative structures.

    Not only did Rosa Parks protest, the Boston Tea Party was a protest. The American Revolution was blatant disregard for British authority.

    Not all laws, governments, and forms of authority should be obeyed and trusted. If you study history it becomes obvious.
    Comparing these kids to Rosa Parks or the American Revolution is another sign of how the US education system has so sharply declined.

  10. #610
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I was in particular referring to Vance's suggestion that we could somehow craft a historical narrative that was not influenced by scholar's biases, be they conservative, moderate, liberal, socialist, or postmodern.
    Yes, I realize that. I was just informing you about the details of this specific case.

    And maybe you can ask Vance why the experience some anonymous internet poster had with a liberal college professor would have anything to do with why these conservative school board members want to change the curriculum? Shouldn't that be decided on the school's curriculum (which the people who complain about its' liberal bias have yet to post any evidence to support)?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 61 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •