Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 724

Thread: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

  1. #591
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Grade schoolers protest homework, lunch, dress-code, shortened recess....not curricula. Grade schoolers could give a **** about the acidemics because they'd just assume not go to school at all.I smell a rat.
    They should make their millions now while they still know everything.

  2. #592
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How so?
    If there is bias and control over curriculum in public schools, do you really think for one minute that a Koch funded private school would not also provide a certain bias? At least with public schools there is some public involvement in who is on the school board and who sets the standards.

    The idea of removing public schools and replacing them with privately funded schools scares me for many reasons. The same reasons private jails scare me. When a profit motive is set, it creates incentives that in many cases, hurt those they are trying to serve.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  3. #593
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,723

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'm anything but obtuse when it comes to your posts. Your posts are all over the place and filled with falsehoods. Every time I point one out to you, you change up and pretend it's what you meant all along.
    No; my posts are very consistent and factually sourced. YOU keep jumping around trying to be right.

    Get a grip and read a book.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  4. #594
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    No; my posts are very consistent and factually sourced. YOU keep jumping around trying to be right.

    Get a grip and read a book.
    Bunker Hill was a civil protest. No. Boston Massacre was a labor dispute. No.

    Sorry, no facts in your posts. I don't need to read any books.

  5. #595
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    If there is bias and control over curriculum in public schools, do you really think for one minute that a Koch funded private school would not also provide a certain bias? At least with public schools there is some public involvement in who is on the school board and who sets the standards.

    The idea of removing public schools and replacing them with privately funded schools scares me for many reasons. The same reasons private jails scare me. When a profit motive is set, it creates incentives that in many cases, hurt those they are trying to serve.
    What the? We have private schools now....Our President sends his kids to one of them.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #596
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    No it isn't... Political indoctrination is what's been going on in our schools for at least the last 40 years. They have been slowly removing the things in Americas history that made us great and set us apart from the rest of the world, and filling the gaps with the darker, more controversial episodes in our past with little in the way of balance and context.
    Like what exactly?

    I ask because I don't believe that's true. In fact, I believe opposite is true. The simple fact that Columbus is celebrated is evidence of this.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  7. #597
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    If there is bias and control over curriculum in public schools, do you really think for one minute that a Koch funded private school would not also provide a certain bias?
    What sort of bias? Can you be specific?

    At least with public schools there is some public involvement in who is on the school board and who sets the standards.
    Then why are these protests happening when the involvement begins?

    The idea of removing public schools and replacing them with privately funded schools scares me for many reasons. The same reasons private jails scare me. When a profit motive is set, it creates incentives that in many cases, hurt those they are trying to serve.
    The profit motive encourages everyone to do a better job. Volunteerism is great in certain areas but unreliable in sustaining an entire economy.

  8. #598
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What sort of bias? Can you be specific?

    Then why are these protests happening when the involvement begins?

    The profit motive encourages everyone to do a better job. Volunteerism is great in certain areas but unreliable in sustaining an entire economy.
    Examples, sure:
    The Koch Brothers And The Battle Over Integration In Wake County's Schools

    Seriously I didn't think I needed too, but here: Let me google that for you

    Are you saying that the public have no influence on school curriculum?

    And profit motive also gives incentives to cut costs and create profit margin. The kids would suffer.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  9. #599
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A Koch Brothers funded private school would be even more dangerous.

    I had no idea they were investing so heavily in local school board elections on different sides of the country. That's very scary.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  10. #600
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Grade schoolers protest homework, lunch, dress-code, shortened recess....not curricula. Grade schoolers could give a **** about the acidemics because they'd just assume not go to school at all.

    I smell a rat.
    These are AP High School students and these students care more about their education than you claim

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then why are these protests happening when the involvement begins?
    Because the review panel this school board set up has no community involvement. They picked its' members in a secret meeting without any input from the community and made rules that give it the power to over rule the curriculum review committee that the school district has already set up
    Last edited by sangha; 09-29-14 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •