Page 34 of 73 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 724

Thread: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

  1. #331
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,695

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    So let me guess... You are now claiming that the school board doesn't was the history of the Civil War taught?

    Good lord...
    I am presuming that you meant to say, "You are now claiming that the school board doesn't want the history of the Civil War taught?

    Get a grip please.

    Your argument is ridiculous and without basis and I just showed that to you. Please read American history: epsecially the parts where us soon to be patriotic 'Mericans acted like terrorists and burned people's homes because we didn't like what they said.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  2. #332
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    That's exactly the point .... there was NO attempt to censor what was being taught, but rather to place the criteria in what the school board thought was 'proper context.'
    That certainly flies in the face of what you claimed. You said stuff was removed and replaced, now you say the context is changed. Which is it?

    For example, the History course at Aurora High had devolved into a discussion of all the ills of the American system. It was an anti-capitalism, anti-government presentation. NO time was spent discussing the accomplishments of the founding fathers, but over 3 weeks were spent discussing the civil rights movement of the 60s. Logic would tell you that understanding the tenets of the American government that allowed the civil rights movement would be at least as important. There was a large part of the school year discussing the impacts of the industrial revolution on climate change, but not one word about the positive impacts ... better wages, better working hours, greater mobility, etc., etc., etc. The lopsided presentation of Civil War history was nothing short of ridiculous. Whether we like to admit it or not, the bombing of Hiroshima was a significantly more positive act than it was negative.

    The simple fact was that the American History effort had become a liberal forum for indoctrinating the students about everything that is wrong with the American system, rather than a reasoned, rational, and fair presentation for the students to consider for themselves. This proposal was an attempt to rein in an educational department that had gone off the tracks, rather than confront the teachers face-to-face.

    How do I know? I am a member of the District Accountability Committee here in Colorado Springs for one of the school districts. We are trying to resolve the Common Core-Instructor Responsibility conundrum. We were briefed on the Aurora situation, since that is really the driver behind this whole fiasco. Frankly, I have no idea if it's been published anywhere.
    Details and documentation needed here. Everything you say is broad generalities and opinions. I want factual details, not opinions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #333
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That certainly flies in the face of what you claimed. You said stuff was removed and replaced, now you say the context is changed. Which is it?



    Details and documentation needed here. Everything you say is broad generalities and opinions. I want factual details, not opinions.
    Then ... hold your breath.

    I tried to explain that the history courses had devolved to what was, effectively, a liberal indoctrination. Given the sheer impossibility of firing a teacher, the school tried to mandate what would be taught in the class. When an American History class makes no mention of the first three presidents, but DOES focus on all the negative things - the course has gone off-track.


    I gave you what I received in a briefing ... if you need more detail, there are flights to Denver.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  4. #334
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I am presuming that you meant to say, "You are now claiming that the school board doesn't want the history of the Civil War taught?

    Get a grip please.

    Your argument is ridiculous and without basis and I just showed that to you. Please read American history: epsecially the parts where us soon to be patriotic 'Mericans acted like terrorists and burned people's homes because we didn't like what they said.
    An excellent example of the attitude that was being taught in the American History class ... all one-sided, and no overall context.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  5. #335
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    When an American History class makes no mention of the first three presidents
    It is stupid to think that every american history class should teach about the first three presidents.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #336
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,695

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    An excellent example of the attitude that was being taught in the American History class ... all one-sided, and no overall context.
    You have no idea what you're talking about.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #337
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Let me put this in language that everyone can easily understand...

    If our public schools were teaching a balanced history of slavery in America, then how come so many people, especially liberals, claim that the 3/5 clause was racist and that it's purpose in the constitution was to denigrate black people by proclaiming them as inferior human beings that shouldn't be counted the same as a white person?

    I know I wasn't taught the true purpose behind that clause when I went to school and was under that same false, racism based impression for years, until I took the time to research it myself and discover the truth.

  8. #338
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Then ... hold your breath.

    I tried to explain that the history courses had devolved to what was, effectively, a liberal indoctrination. Given the sheer impossibility of firing a teacher, the school tried to mandate what would be taught in the class. When an American History class makes no mention of the first three presidents, but DOES focus on all the negative things - the course has gone off-track.


    I gave you what I received in a briefing ... if you need more detail, there are flights to Denver.
    Again, that is not documentation, that is simply your impression. I want facts, not some random guys opinions of what he heard of from who knows where,
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #339
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,111

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I'm with the students on this one. Complete bs on the part of that school board. No curriculum should be biased or censored, just straight facts.
    Yeah? which facts?

  10. #340
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    4,881

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's a sad day when HS kids protest patriotism.
    A person in high school might have been following politics with enough attention to have any clue for what? four years, maybe, in the unusual case six?

    Well, today's HS kids have known no Government other than one headed by Obama and the Radical Lefties.

    If you had grown up during such leadership, would you have a sense of value and loyalty toward Government and Country?

    I can't find it to blame HS students for hating American Government, all they've known is a Government which is contemptible and views the citizens as slaves or worse.

    I can blame the parents who were foolish enough to allow such a Government to gain power.

    -

Page 34 of 73 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •