Page 28 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 724

Thread: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

  1. #271
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Here you go:

    "She said she’s not trying to eliminate the facts of U.S. history but shares the concerns conservatives nationally have outlined – that AP History casts some parts of history in a negative light, such as the bombing of Hiroshima and slavery. - See more at: http://www.cpr.org/news/story/jeffco-teachers-students-protest-proposal-promote-patriotism-history-classes#sthash.EFE3DP8D.dpuf"
    I already pointed that out here:
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1063793543

    Now can you please explain how you interpret that to mean that she "objects to the teaching of slavery" as sangha claims, and refuses to retract?
    Last edited by Grim17; 09-24-14 at 07:29 PM.

  2. #272
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I never said that... Why is it you feel that dishonesty is nessisary to win an argument?
    It was certainly implicit in your post. You supported bias in teaching students.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #273
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And yet, they are quoted saying 'it's not punishment.'

    Seems more like a slap on the hand after I went back and read it.
    It's leniency, but still punishment for being absent from classes. Schools were in the right to give out that dose of punishment.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #274
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It was certainly implicit in your post. You supported bias in teaching students.
    Not at all... I don't believe that, nor did I ever imply it.

  5. #275
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I already pointed that out here:
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1063793543

    Now can you please explain how you interpret that to mean that she "objects to the teaching of slavery" as sangha claims?
    Sounds exactly like that to me in the overall context of the article and the parts of the proposal I read.

    How does it not read like that to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #276
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The post you responded to did not claim that anyone was trying to make the curriculum non-factual. It merely said that the curriculum should be factual
    And it was said in response to the story posted, seemingly implicating that those in the story were suggesting the curriculum SHOULDN'T be factual. If that wasn't the intent there was little reason to say it as it relates to the topic.

    When people talk about bias, they are generally referring to a bias that is generally considered to be "bad".
    Which is exactly my point. People like to ACT like they give a damn about bias, but that's not true...they give a damn about bias that goes against their own biases.

    "making america look good" above all else.
    Funny, you put it in quotes but I don't remember that being what was proposed here.

    Yes, I quoted a school board member using the teaching of slavery as an example of something that doesn't support the goals of this school board.
    I looked back through every post you've made in this thread and I didn't see it. Care to point me to the specific post because apparently I'm missing it. I see one instance where you make the claim that they said that in a paraphrased sort of way, and a post where you include a link without any information on what said link contains and which the link doesn't function...but that's it. What post did you actually quote the school board member saying that kid shouldn't be taught about slavery in the US, and did it actually include a link to verify your claim?

    I also think it's naive to assume that there isn't an easily identifiable political agenda behind this school board's actions.
    Thanks for the strawman, now show me where I've suggested there isn't? Absolutely I think there's a political reason behind what this group would choose to be included in history classes. Where we differ likely is I believe peoples political views impact pretty much all instances of history texts or curriculum in various ways. What I suggested was questionable was the outright jump to the notion that what was stated in the OP automatically would lead to it being used to keep from "teaching kids about slavery in the US"

  7. #277
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Sounds exactly like that to me in the overall context of the article and the parts of the proposal I read.

    How does it not read like that to you?
    Seriously?

    Because she never said that slavery shouldn't be taught in history class... That's kind of a no-brainer.

  8. #278
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    You said, and I quote:




    Based on the links contained in this thread, and the links you have provided, that statement absolutely false.

    Either substanciate that claim, or retract it.
    My statement is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #279
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Seriously?

    Because she never said that slavery shouldn't be taught in history class... That's kind of a no-brainer.
    OK...just the negative parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #280
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum[W:234]

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    In that case good luck getting an honest answer...
    It will take more than luck

    It will take a miracle
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 28 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •