Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 98

Thread: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

  1. #21
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if you commit fraud - especially to manipulate public elections - you deserve to go to jail
    So, Obama and Acorn officials should go to jail then....Thanks....


    "The Obama re-election campaign has accepted at least one foreign donation in violation of the law ó and does nothing to check on the provenance of millions of dollars in other contributions, a watchdog group alleges."

    Obama campaign accepted foreign Web donation — and may be hiding more | New York Post

    "Barack Obama's presidential campaign has been fined $375,000 by the Federal Election Commission for violating federal disclosure laws, Politico reports.

    An FEC audit of Obama for America's 2008 records found the committee failed to disclose millions of dollars in contributions and dragged its feet in refunding millions more in excess contributions.

    The resulting fine, one of the largest ever handed down by the FEC, is the result of a failure to disclose or improperly disclosing thousands of contributions to Obama for America during the then-senator's 2008 presidential run, documents show."

    Obama Campaign Fined Big for Hiding Donors, Keeping Illegal Donations - US News

    But I know, it's Obama, so that's ok with you.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #22
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,818
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    non-violent "malum prohibitum" offenses should never involve prison.
    I'd agree. Am I correct in the impression that had it been anyone else that it'd been a civil matter, but under this politicized DOJ of Obama/Holder it's a criminal matter? That this case is little more than selective prosecution?

    I think there's your answer.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  3. #23
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I'd agree. Am I correct in the impression that had it been anyone else that it'd been a civil matter, but under this politicized DOJ of Obama/Holder it's a criminal matter? That this case is little more than selective prosecution?

    I think there's your answer.
    You say selective, I say politically discriminatory.
    ďI think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whatís being proposed here, heíd agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.Ē - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #24
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,127

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    If that's the standard, there are hundreds of members of the propaganda wing of the Progressive Machine that should be behind bars.
    which is why they should be held accountable for any illegal actions, to include incarceration if convicted
    where did we disagree?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #25
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,936

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    If that's the standard, there are hundreds of members of the propaganda wing of the Progressive Machine that should be behind bars.
    Legally, that would be determined by whether the fraud is criminal or civil in nature.

    What the Law Says About Fraud

    Laws against fraud vary from state to state, and can be criminal or civil in nature. Criminal fraud requires criminal intent on the part of the perpetrator, and is punishable by fines or imprisonment. Civil fraud, on the other hand, applies more broadly to circumstances where bad-faith is usually involved, and where the penalties are meant to punish the perpetrator and put the victim back in the same position before the fraud took place.

    While the exact wording of fraud charges varies among state and federal laws. the essential elements needed to prove a fraud claim in general include: (1) a misrepresentation of a material fact; (2) by a person or entity who knows or believes it to be false; (3) to a person or entity who justifiably relies on the misrepresentation; and (4) actual injury or loss resulting from his or her reliance.
    http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/fraud.html

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,850

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And people like Madoff?

    The qualification for prison shouldn't be determined by violent vs. nonviolent, but victim vs. non-victim.
    You beat me to that one. He ruined lives in violating the public trust while lining his pockets to support his extravagant lifestyle. He deserved well more than he will end up serving.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #27
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,963

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So you believe that as long as violence didn't take place but there was clear evidence of a theft, the perpetrator shouldn't face prison time?
    Thieves don't always go to prison today, do they? I can steal from a 7/11 and as a first time offender, I probably won't see a minute of prison.

    They release violent criminals and kiddie rapists because of overcrowding. I'm more afraid of them than I am of D'Souza.

  8. #28
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,936

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Thieves don't always go to prison today, do they? I can steal from a 7/11 and as a first time offender, I probably won't see a minute of prison.

    They release violent criminals and kiddie rapists because of overcrowding. I'm more afraid of them than I am of D'Souza.
    Me too, but that doesn't address anything I said. In principle, do you believe that thieves shouldn't face prison time?

  9. #29
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,041

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Malum in se are violent crimes, and malum prohibitum are regulatory crimes of a non-violent nature. White collar crimes really.

    I agree with Turtle. Violent people need to be in prison, the others not.
    No. Malum in se crimes do not always involve violence. It merely denotes the fact that it wasn't a victimless crime. If I steal money from your bank account via fraud, even though there is no violence involved, it is not malum in se, because you have directly been made a victim through these actions. If I find a loop hole to donate money to a candidate, that is different because there is no direct victim, therefor (arguably) it's malum prohibitum.

    But regardless, I do not agree with turtle. Some non violent crimes definitely deserve jail time. And this is one of them. Any one caught with voter fraud, laundering money to political candidates etc need to be shown that it will not be tolerated and that our election laws are enforced.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  10. #30
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,963

    Re: DíSouza Is Spared Prison Time for Campaign Finance Violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Me too, but that doesn't address anything I said. In principle, do you believe that thieves shouldn't face prison time?
    Thieves should be punished. I can't answer that blanket question. A man who robs a 7/11 of a 6 pack of beer is a thief. Should he serve prison time? Not if it was his first offense.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •