Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 807

Thread: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria[W:354]

  1. #411
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,689

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    They'll twist it as much as they have to.

    Instead of figuring out how to fix this mess all these guys just wanna blame, blame, blame..

    It's funny because your are really describing the Democrats and Obama to a T.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #412
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    So is US Conservative happy or sad that Obama is bombing terrorists? It's hard for conservatives to keep their talking points straight nowadays, they've become so virulently Obamaphobic.


    Interesting that your first and, apparently, only consideration in this war is what the "conservatives" think. Which, I suggest, this "war" has not one thing to do with terrorism but over all public opinion heading into the mid terms.

    I am neither happy nor sad, but still asking 'what is the objective'? and how will it be achieved through aerial bombardment alone?

    American progressives, in their headlong, blind rush to prove that Obama is incapable or error seem to have lost sight of what is war. People, civilians die not only in the bombing but as has been learned in Vietnam and other ugly little wars, civilians are the target for reprisals and there is NO way to prevent that without boots on the ground. We have seen the medieval horror these vermin are capable of, Obama announced his attack weeks beforehand allowing ISIS cells to go underground. They will re-emerge to torture and behead in retribution.

    So, what is required here is not an on going political, name calling feud, but actually seeing this as war and not a political chess piece to be moved around an imaginary board. Progressives and the president need to pony up and start answering some of these questions. What Republicans may or may not be doing is irrelevant. Finding an end to a war Obama said he had ended is the priority.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Does everyone believe that anytime some group around the world, hideously, kills an American or even commits a criminal act of bombing our buildings that we should retaliate with the entire US Military, and does that really solve the problem?

    We don't seem to 'what to do' or 'when to do it' for an effective outcome anymore?

    We started the mess in the ME and destabilized the area, but will we ever get it back to some semblance of sane stability?

    There is a difference Grip. Some groups declare war on Americans and all its interests.

    We didn't start the mess and the mess would still be the mess.

    Whats missing from the convo is.....What has Russia said? Moreover what has Assad to say? We do know at the beginning of Attack.....the Israelis shot down a Syrian Fighter over Golan.

    Yet what I am wondering about is.....why, knowing al Nusra controls the Golan?

  4. #414
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Does everyone believe that anytime some group around the world, hideously, kills an American or even commits a criminal act of bombing our buildings that we should retaliate with the entire US Military, and does that really solve the problem?

    We don't seem to 'what to do' or 'when to do it' for an effective outcome anymore?

    We started the mess in the ME and destabilized the area, but will we ever get it back to some semblance of sane stability?


    It seems there is a very flexible policy of when to attack/invade and when to ignore it. Here the US is re-attacking one country and attacking Syria as well as the result, primarily of the beheading of a free lance journalist.

    However, four Americans die in the service of their country in a clear Al-Qaeda raid on a Consulate of the United States and the response is an FBI investigation that has produced squat on toast.

    I suspect the timing of elections may have something to do with that, while running on a platform of "I killed Osama" and Al-Qaeda is on the run is not the time to admit you are lying and attack. However when the mid terms loom and the nation is horrified by the real horror of revolution it's then time for a "limited engagement"....kind of like Kerry's "teesny attack" with some meat in the bones.....three years of meat
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  5. #415
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    There is a difference Grip. Some groups declare war on Americans and all its interests.

    We didn't start the mess and the mess would still be the mess.

    Whats missing from the convo is.....What has Russia said? Moreover what has Assad to say? We do know at the beginning of Attack.....the Israelis shot down a Syrian Fighter over Golan.

    Yet what I am wondering about is.....why, knowing al Nusra controls the Golan?

    Then we go after that group with an appropriate response, not use a sledge hammer to swat a fly. Or use so much military might that the whole thing is over quickly, instead of a drawn out mess that continually spirals out, involving other countries.

    Our first two years in Afghanistan were successful at tamping down the Taliban and AQ, but instead of halting it there we had to invade Iraq. It's these unjust overreactions that support their ability to recruit so many fighters.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #416
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Obviously, bombing people is the best way to achieve peace in volatile situations. People don't, like, want revenge for that sort of thing or anything like that.
    That's exactly why it was so stupid for the U.S. to bomb Japan and Germany during World War II. Why, that was no way to achieve peace in a volatile situation! It just made the Japanese and Germans want to take revenge. We should never make any enemy mad at us, because if we make him feel icky he will just react by doing things to make us feel icky, too.

  7. #417
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This is getting too weird now.
    Nothing weird. Dumbya was making a mess and no one spanked him. Hello, history

  8. #418
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    It seems there is a very flexible policy of when to attack/invade and when to ignore it. Here the US is re-attacking one country and attacking Syria as well as the result, primarily of the beheading of a free lance journalist.

    However, four Americans die in the service of their country in a clear Al-Qaeda raid on a Consulate of the United States and the response is an FBI investigation that has produced squat on toast.

    I suspect the timing of elections may have something to do with that, while running on a platform of "I killed Osama" and Al-Qaeda is on the run is not the time to admit you are lying and attack. However when the mid terms loom and the nation is horrified by the real horror of revolution it's then time for a "limited engagement"....kind of like Kerry's "teesny attack" with some meat in the bones.....three years of meat
    Sadly, this is all too true that the leadership and politicians can't separate true military need from partisan rhetoric and campaign attacks. When our ideology gets confused between Headlines, politics and phoney image building, you can see why we're so lost in what to do with these geopolitical conflicts.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #419
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Then we go after that group with an appropriate response, not use a sledge hammer to swat a fly. Or use so much military might that the whole thing is over quickly, instead of a drawn out mess that continually spirals out, involving other countries.

    Our first two years in Afghanistan were successful at tamping down the Taliban and AQ, but instead of halting it there we had to invade Iraq. It's these unjust overreactions that support their ability to recruit so many fighters.

    Well, one can note how all the Sunni would have no trouble sending in their Air power into Syria......if we had not been part of this, this does not happen due to Assad's Anti Air. As well as all then noticing that Sectarian divide for what it really is. Which to the Saud and the Sunni far outweighs the Dictator Assad.

    Al Sadr in Iraq is already stirring up the Shia and wants the US out of Iraq. Which really they don't care so much for the Kurds either.

  10. #420
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: US Airstrikes Under Way in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    That's exactly why it was so stupid for the U.S. to bomb Japan and Germany during World War II. Why, that was no way to achieve peace in a volatile situation! It just made the Japanese and Germans want to take revenge. We should never make any enemy mad at us, because if we make him feel icky he will just react by doing things to make us feel icky, too.
    You do understand that there are middle grounds between "always" and "never", right? And each situation is evaluated on its own, right? This situation, like most situations, will be made worse by the application of violence. The only grounds for intervention in this situation is humanitarian aid and protection for the people of Iraq and Syria that ISIS is menacing. That is a worthy reason. Bombing ISIS because we don't like it when Muslims have weapons is only going to galvanize more people to take up violence in the area. Violence begets more violence.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •