Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    F-22s are operational. The F-35 is untested so to speak.

    With respect to an in-close dogfight, that's a different matter. From ABC News:

    The United States has spent nearly $80 billion to develop the most advanced stealth fighter jet in history, the F-22 Raptor, but the Air Force recently found out firsthand that while the planes own the skies at modern long-range air combat, it is “evenly matched” with cheaper, foreign jets when it comes to old-school dogfighting.

    F-22 Raptor Loses $79 Billion Advantage in Dogfights: Report - ABC News

    If that's a problem, the obvious solution is never to let an opponent's aircraft close the range before shooting it down. It's like saying a highly skilled marksman with a top-notch sniper rifle is at a disadvantage, if he lets an enemy with a cheap snub-nosed revolver approach across open ground to within ten yards of him, because at such short range the revolver is so much more maneuverable and quicker to aim.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Its not the Mig 31 we need to watch out for. Its their Mig 35.

    Ummm...it looks more like the old F-14 Tomcat.

    Attachment 67173257

    Wings are more curved and not as far swept back and the air intakes are underneath and not on the sides, but it's pretty much the same look. From what the video indicates it's the onboard stealth electronics and surface to ground radar coupling that makes it a threat.

    Interesting...
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Ummm...it looks more like the old F-14 Tomcat.

    Attachment 67173257

    Wings are more curved and not as far swept back and the air intakes are underneath and not on the sides, but it's pretty much the same look. From what the video indicates it's the onboard stealth electronics and surface to ground radar coupling that makes it a threat.

    Interesting...

    Allegedly they are working on the Mig 37/47 - 5th generation. Which they say will be able to orbit and drop in from outside the Atmosphere. If they can keep their pilot conscious that is.



  4. #24
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're making quite a few assumptions there. You don't know that 2 F-22s were the only weapons brought to bear on the Russian aircraft. You don't know that F-22s engage in conventional dog-fighting (FYI F22s avoid conventional dog fighting). You don't know that MIGs can out perform F-22s.

    And most importantly, you don't realize that the US would absorb the lose of 2 pilots in exchange for the resulting international political capital.

    Just something to think about

    Something seriously went wrong if a F22 ever actually entered into a conventional dogfight.

    Their long range Air to Air strike capabilities are unmatched by any existing Fighter.

    Any Country still focusing on and or building a platform based on a air to air confrontation between Fighter jets is wasting their time and money
    Last edited by Fenton; 09-20-14 at 10:12 PM.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    U.S., Canadian jets intercept 8 Russian aircraft



    Just 2 F-22s? Against six? Wow, the US military must have a lot of faith in an untested aircraft.... I wonder who would have won in a dogfight against F-22s and MIG-31s...
    I know that some Marine FA-18 C fighters went up against an equal number of Air Force F-22's in a mock dog fight. The F-22's won.

    The Marine Corps FA-18 C is over 20 years old.

    https://marinecorpsconceptsandprogra...raft-age-chart

  6. #26
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    U.S., Canadian jets intercept 8 Russian aircraft



    Just 2 F-22s? Against six? Wow, the US military must have a lot of faith in an untested aircraft.... I wonder who would have won in a dogfight against F-22s and MIG-31s...

    The scary part is the Russians have no fear of Obama.......They can do anything they want without fear of retribution.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  7. #27
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I just watched a couple of MiG-31 versus F-22 flight simulators. The F-22's won each time. The MiG's were detected several miles out while the F-22's went undetected except when they engaged their afterburners. Otherwise, the F-22 attained lock and fired their missiles and the MiG-31's never had a chance even when they detected the missles coming at them.

    Granted, this was all simulations, but very impressive.

    Curious, though...did Russia actually build the MiG-31 Firefox from the movie of the same name? (Re: Clint Eastwood era)
    The MIG-31 is actually called the Foxhound, not the Firefox. It was built to replace the Foxbat.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  8. #28
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    If that's a problem, the obvious solution is never to let an opponent's aircraft close the range before shooting it down. It's like saying a highly skilled marksman with a top-notch sniper rifle is at a disadvantage, if he lets an enemy with a cheap snub-nosed revolver approach across open ground to within ten yards of him, because at such short range the revolver is so much more maneuverable and quicker to aim.
    I reckon somebody familiar with the avionics, targeting, and weapons systems on the F-22 would probably say that if they can't see you, they can't shoot you. I'm pretty sure they aren't concerned about its performance in air-to-air dogfighting. Tough to engage in a dogfight when pieces of your plane are headed south.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  9. #29
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,970

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    F-22s are operational. The F-35 is untested so to speak.

    With respect to an in-close dogfight, that's a different matter. From ABC News:

    The United States has spent nearly $80 billion to develop the most advanced stealth fighter jet in history, the F-22 Raptor, but the Air Force recently found out firsthand that while the planes own the skies at modern long-range air combat, it is “evenly matched” with cheaper, foreign jets when it comes to old-school dogfighting.

    F-22 Raptor Loses $79 Billion Advantage in Dogfights: Report - ABC News
    Well the F-22 may be operational but there have been no reports that it has been involved in air combat as of yet so I am curious as to what it could do.

    Also there was a report I read a few years ago about German Air Force pilots bragging that their Tornadoes were able to outmaneuver F-22s in a mock dogfight and shot them down in a simulation. While the top USAF brass may think dogfights are outdated, they felt the same way when they first deployed the F-4 Phantom over Vietnam and they didnt arm it with a cannon, thinking nobody would want to dogfight anymore- the North Vietnamese air force proved them wrong.

  10. #30
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: US Intercepts 8 Russian Warplanes Near Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Well the F-22 may be operational but there have been no reports that it has been involved in air combat as of yet so I am curious as to what it could do.

    Also there was a report I read a few years ago about German Air Force pilots bragging that their Tornadoes were able to outmaneuver F-22s in a mock dogfight and shot them down in a simulation. While the top USAF brass may think dogfights are outdated, they felt the same way when they first deployed the F-4 Phantom over Vietnam and they didnt arm it with a cannon, thinking nobody would want to dogfight anymore- the North Vietnamese air force proved them wrong.
    Read here: F-22 Raptor: Capabilities and Controversies

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •