Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 148 of 148

Thread: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install sol

  1. #141
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    the only problem is solar panels when concentrated create extreme amounts of heat,which is bad for wildlife,so they would need to be spaced out.another problem is cost to benefit,solar is more feasable when powering small buildins cheaply,but costs rise quickly with larger buildings,hence why most people who adopt them live in small houses and cabins.

    another issue is sunlight,much of the country doesnt have enough constant sunlight to make solar panels efficient.

    at the end of the day they should have focused on a combination of solar,wind,and hydro instead of putting all their eggs in one basket.
    I disagree. Germany is the size of Texas, and they are using more than twice the amount of solar power than the entire US is using.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #142
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Who said anything about electricity being free? I certainly did not nor did I imply it. As to financing the solar panel and the cost of installation, if you've financing a new home wouldn't it stand to reason that those costs would be wrapped into the home loan? I mean, if solar panels becomes an appliance that's part of standard home construction, the cost would be part of the overall construction costs. So, I really don't see your objection here. It'll be no different than paying for your A/C unit or your kitchen sink which are wrapped into your home loan.


    Air conditioning and all of the other appliances that may be part of a new home all fall under that category of viable and tested technology.

    Solar is NOT a viable technology. Minus the massive Government subsidies it wouldnt even be a consideration and it should be a consideration.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree. Germany is the size of Texas, and they are using more than twice the amount of solar power than the entire US is using.

    Germany's Green energy revolution is a disaster

    As admitted by their own Government who subsidizes their Green energy disaster with Billions in new taxes levied on average German citizens

    Thanks to their idiotic head first dive into green energy Germany now burns more coal than it has since the Second World war AND their citizens pay 300 percent more for their electricity than the average American citizen does.

    They have entire wind farms sitting iff their coast that have yet to be tied into their grid because they can't afford it.

    Germany should be a lesson to every person out their thats giving green renewable energy a second thought as a viable and compable technology

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Air conditioning and all of the other appliances that may be part of a new home all fall under that category of viable and tested technology.

    Solar is NOT a viable technology. Minus the massive Government subsidies it wouldnt even be a consideration and it should be a consideration.
    You mean it's not a viable and tested technology in U.S. markets because it seems to be doing quite well in other parts of the world.

    Look, if people keep on this argument track you may as well never try to test any other energy source as an alternative to oil or coal or try to make it viable in the U.S. marketplace. You have to start somewhere. Seems to me opponents to solar power work hard to convolute the issue: It's either an untested energy source in residential or commercial markets, a non-viable energy source in its application or multiple use across platforms or its heavily subsidized by the government. My guess is the only reason folks would work so hard to say something isn't worth the effort to try it is: a) they're afraid people will discover they like it, or; b) they hate the fact that somebody else is making it work.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-25-14 at 12:12 AM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  5. #145
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Germany's Green energy revolution is a disaster

    As admitted by their own Government who subsidizes their Green energy disaster with Billions in new taxes levied on average German citizens

    Thanks to their idiotic head first dive into green energy Germany now burns more coal than it has since the Second World war AND their citizens pay 300 percent more for their electricity than the average American citizen does.

    They have entire wind farms sitting iff their coast that have yet to be tied into their grid because they can't afford it.

    Germany should be a lesson to every person out their thats giving green renewable energy a second thought as a viable and compable technology
    That is an outright lie. Where did you get that information? And where is the link to the political think tank you obviously got your information from?

    The fact is that Germany broke the 50% barrier just this June. That's right. On that day Germany generated more than 50% of it's power by solar alone. In addition, Germany is now also making moves in wind power, which was slow to take off, but appears in place to generate yet more power, since investors have finally become interested.
    Last edited by danarhea; 09-25-14 at 10:52 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #146
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,392

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Boy, that is some dumb **** right there.

    First, solar panels do not heat up enough to harm wildlife. That's wingnut talk right there. They're usually put on roofs which are......wait for it.....usually black. Matte black, so they heat up more than the solar panels which are blue or black AND SHINY!!! (Hint: "shiny" means "reflective")

    And costs don't rise for a large building. Costs rise for power usage. The reason why solar is more common in low-rise building is because the roof to power usage ratio is much higher.

    And most of the country does get enough sunlight to make them feasible. The problem is the low cost of coal generated power, which makes solar expensive in comparison.

    Finally, there's nothing that can be powered by conventional sources of electicity that can't be powered by electricity generated by solar. There's nothing different about the electricity generated by a solar system. It's the same electricity
    well first i wasnt talking about a few solar panels on a roof reflecting too much heat,im referring to massive solar farms,where that much light concentrated and reflected can be dangerous,whereas them spread out is not.


    and yes costs do rise on large buildings,because larger buildings use alot more energy,because they need more lighting to cover the area,more ac btus to cool the larger area etc,while a small house can easily be powered almost entirely by a 4kw solar setup,a much larger building would require equally more solar panels,massively driving up cost of investment.further multistory buildings can not benefit as much from solar.


    i dont know why you think most of the country gets enough light to make it feasable,unless its somewhere like the southwest where cloudy days are few,there would be heavy reliance on fuel generators through part of the year,and at night all year except maybe alaska

    further solar cannot be efficiently stored yet,meaning all extra power produced at day worthless come night,whereas individual houses can buy deep cycle batteries to store the energy for nighttime,there are no feasable options for an entire power grid.


    and actually i am right,they cant hardly run anything by themselves,in nearly every solar setup,there is usually a generator or power plant that handles power inbetween.running something by itself would mean running it with solar,not running solar,then switching to another form of power,as is common sense solar panels dont work at night,and are less efficient on cloudy days.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  7. #147
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    well first i wasnt talking about a few solar panels on a roof reflecting too much heat,im referring to massive solar farms,where that much light concentrated and reflected can be dangerous,whereas them spread out is not.
    Solar panels do not concentrate light. And relecting the light back reduces temps. There is no danger to wildlife.

    and yes costs do rise on large buildings,because larger buildings use alot more energy,because they need more lighting to cover the area,more ac btus to cool the larger area etc,while a small house can easily be powered almost entirely by a 4kw solar setup,a much larger building would require equally more solar panels,massively driving up cost of investment.further multistory buildings can not benefit as much from solar.
    You're just repeating what I said.

    BTW, there are apt building which are powered by solar.

    i dont know why you think most of the country gets enough light to make it feasable,unless its somewhere like the southwest where cloudy days are few,there would be heavy reliance on fuel generators through part of the year,and at night all year except maybe alaska
    Of course you don't know why. It's obvious you are not familiar with the subject, but NYS has a 10 year pay back period on solar, and unless it's moved since the last time I checked, it's not in the SW, it's the NE.
    further solar cannot be efficiently stored yet,meaning all extra power produced at day worthless come night,whereas individual houses can buy deep cycle batteries to store the energy for nighttime,there are no feasable options for an entire power grid.
    Who's talking about the entire power grid. (answer: just about nobody) You certainly weren't talking about the entire grid. You said it wasn't possible to use for large buildings in most of the country

    and actually i am right,they cant hardly run anything by themselves,in nearly every solar setup,there is usually a generator or power plant that handles power inbetween.running something by itself would mean running it with solar,not running solar,then switching to another form of power,as is common sense solar panels dont work at night,and are less efficient on cloudy days.
    Wrong again. Most systems have enough batteries to store a few days power and solar generates enough power even on pretty cloudy days.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #148
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,392

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Solar panels do not concentrate light. And relecting the light back reduces temps. There is no danger to wildlife.



    You're just repeating what I said.

    BTW, there are apt building which are powered by solar.



    Of course you don't know why. It's obvious you are not familiar with the subject, but NYS has a 10 year pay back period on solar, and unless it's moved since the last time I checked, it's not in the SW, it's the NE.


    Who's talking about the entire power grid. (answer: just about nobody) You certainly weren't talking about the entire grid. You said it wasn't possible to use for large buildings in most of the country



    Wrong again. Most systems have enough batteries to store a few days power and solar generates enough power even on pretty cloudy days.
    first,yes concentrated reflected light reflects heat upwards,which effects birds.many solar systems in large farms are half domes which create a different effect.


    apt buildings powered by just solar?????so do they just not use anything electric after dark????


    10 year payback wow im impressed,that means id have to invest a fortune that most people cant afford to break even in 10 years.heres a hint solar panels are getting cheaper by the day,why would you invest a mint on something that would cost vastly less a few years from now.


    if your not using it for a power grid you are only subsidizing fossil fuel energy,and aat a hefty cost.and no i didnt say they cant,or atleast i dont ever remember saying they cant,its more they cant feasibly.they cost more due to a much larger size,and most business use vastly more energy than homes,meaning the investment would be in the hundreds of thousands to millions.



    which systems have enough power to store days worth of energy other than home systems,name them.because if such a system existed,there wouldnt even be a debate over green energy or over loss of power.unless ofcourse you mean home systems using car batterries,which wouldnt work for a power grid.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •