Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 148

Thread: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install sol

  1. #111
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    01-30-17 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I don't think that's a fair accounting at all. The health costs alone from pollution caused by burning fossil fuels is estimated to be between $300B-$800B per YEAR. If the 'real' costs are only 1/10th that, that's 60-160 Solyndra's per year in subsidies. And surely you'd concede some large amount of the cost of our ME adventures is tied directly to that regions status as a major oil producer and so are indirect subsidies of fossil fuels.
    You're adding things to the cost that don't even play into this equation. We're only talking about money that is taken from taxpayers and given to the oil companies. That's what a subsidy is. If solar power is so incredibly kick-ass and affordable, it really doesn't need to be subsidized. The only reason oil companies receive these large subsidies is that your politicians are for sale. It certainly isn't because they need it to keep prices down.

  2. #112
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    This is true... even though the tech to have 99.9% clean burning coal, where we have supplies that could power the world with the stuff for centuries rather than forcing the boondoggles that have come from green energy. The fact is that solar power, especially in Canada, is a lost cause...

    Would be better off aiming for geothermal... or nuclear, if they can fight the urge to put them on fault lines.
    If I have the numbers right, I believe we currently get about 50% from nuclear and another 30% from hydro with the balance coming formerly from coal but more recently from natural gas and the "alternate" cottage industry that is bankrupting the system. There are lots of sources other than solar/wind that provide clean, reliable energy but those who want to burnish their eco creds aren't interested.

    Edit: I just rechecked the numbers and it's currently 68% nuclear and 24% hydroelectric. And yet our electricity bills have been skyrocketing the past decade with more increases promised because the government buys and pays for inefficient wind/solar first at about 10 times the price of the standard sources.
    Last edited by CanadaJohn; 09-22-14 at 07:21 PM.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If I have the numbers right, I believe we currently get about 50% from nuclear and another 30% from hydro with the balance coming formerly from coal but more recently from natural gas and the "alternate" cottage industry that is bankrupting the system. There are lots of sources other than solar/wind that provide clean, reliable energy but those who want to burnish their eco creds aren't interested.
    It does vary by province, not certain of the totals for Canada, but the main point I was getting at is that the push is towards solar power which is horribly inefficient for Canada, in the area of 10% or less (when you consider the efficiency of the panels themselves, and the efficiency of how much sun can be collected.).

    The main purpose for solar panels in Canada would be to offset the cost of power by returning power to the grid during the day when people are typically not home.

    As with most Green power, it's fine for individual usage, but impractical to detrimental to use in the centralized grid system.

  4. #114
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,335

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If I have the numbers right, I believe we currently get about 50% from nuclear and another 30% from hydro with the balance coming formerly from coal but more recently from natural gas and the "alternate" cottage industry that is bankrupting the system. There are lots of sources other than solar/wind that provide clean, reliable energy but those who want to burnish their eco creds aren't interested.
    Greetings, CJ.

    Training 50,000 people to do anything is commendable, but McDonalds did that last year! Now what is going to be done about the other 10 million people who are also unemployed? The BLS estimates that there are 31 million people, if you also count the underemployed among us, who are barely scraping by. I still think that the idea of getting our grid underground in every State would provide jobs for anyone who wants to work, since there are thousands of miles of grid to be buried in this Country, and we all depend on the grid in our daily lives! I'm surprised the unions aren't jumping on this!

  5. #115
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, CJ.

    Training 50,000 people to do anything is commendable, but McDonalds did that last year! Now what is going to be done about the other 10 million people who are also unemployed? The BLS estimates that there are 31 million people, if you also count the underemployed among us, who are barely scraping by. I still think that the idea of getting our grid underground in every State would provide jobs for anyone who wants to work, since there are thousands of miles of grid to be buried in this Country, and we all depend on the grid in our daily lives! I'm surprised the unions aren't jumping on this!
    Good evening Lady P - hope you've recovered from all the festivities and found a way to harness all that heat energy generate from the cake ceremony to be used in the cold winter ahead

    As for the grid, I couldn't agree with you more. After having the icestorm during Christmas/New Year here last winter where I was without heat and electricity for 7 days because lots of overhead wires were downed by trees throughout Toronto, I'm firmly onside with getting them underground and out of the weather's way.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #116
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    For anyone interested, the site below is excellent for identifying where our energy here in Ontario is coming from in real time:

    http://media.cns-snc.ca/ontarioelect...ectricity.html

    There might be something similar available in American jurisdictions. It's really a neat site, in my view.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,063

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    This what you call throwing good money after bad, a government speciality. Only made possible by people who think it is a good idea.
    i support most upgrades to the electrical grid, public or private.

  8. #118
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,866

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i support most upgrades to the electrical grid, public or private.
    So do I. One reason is that this is now a matter of national security.

    A few years ago I spent a couple of memorable hours in my office with Bill Forstchen, the author of One Second After, and I try not to think about the potential consequences of an EMP, natural or an attack--the end of the world as we know it.

  10. #120
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,335

    Re: White House announces plan to train 50,000 people, including veterans, to install

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good evening Lady P - hope you've recovered from all the festivities and found a way to harness all that heat energy generate from the cake ceremony to be used in the cold winter ahead

    As for the grid, I couldn't agree with you more. After having the icestorm during Christmas/New Year here last winter where I was without heat and electricity for 7 days because lots of overhead wires were downed by trees throughout Toronto, I'm firmly onside with getting them underground and out of the weather's way.
    All the gals were so eagerly awaiting the male fireman stripper to show up to highlight the candle lighting ceremony that when he didn't "show," disappointment overruled excitement! No one felt like eating cake at that point, so we'll have to wait till next year, I guess. Another great idea that didn't work out! :

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •