Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

  1. #31
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by aseidner View Post
    NFL's Dwyer arrested on domestic violence allegations - CNN.com

    Seriously, this is getting out of hand. I can't believe yet another player from the NFL is facing charges involving domestic abuse. It seems to me that players are really have some issues turning off the aggression when they are off the field.
    I'm starting to think that the NFL's issue of domestic violence looks kind of like an offshoot of the other problem of roid raging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I don't think it's surprising, though. Numerous such individuals often believe the world revolves around them. In such a perspective, they believe that all e.g., their spouses, are subservient to their wishes and, if not, can be compelled to become compliant. Hence, they can become abusive or worse.

    When caught, they can try to transfer responsibility to others (e.g., making their spouse "responsible" for harm that falls on them) to try to evade accountability for their own actions. These individuals have difficulty understanding that the people around them have independent will and difficulty accepting responsibility for their actions. Dwyer's threat to kill himself and Peterson's unwillingness so far to acknowledge he did anything wrong and his attempt to shift blame for his conduct onto his parents for providing a model for child discipline (which may or may not be truthful) are both attempts to escape personal responsibility.
    Definitely agree with the above. Of course, NFL players with high salaries certainly aren't the only guys who have this kind of entitlement mentality. It isn't restricted to athletes or celebrities in other industries.

  3. #33
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by aseidner View Post
    NFL's Dwyer arrested on domestic violence allegations - CNN.com

    Seriously, this is getting out of hand. I can't believe yet another player from the NFL is facing charges involving domestic abuse. It seems to me that players are really have some issues turning off the aggression when they are off the field.
    Or could it be a media out of control right now, casting all focus on the NFL in the attempt to draw attention from a bumbling stumbling administration?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    It appears that the NFL Commissioner's press conference failed to end the proverbial bleeding. Following the press conference, ESPN broke another troubling story.

    From ESPN:

    After the Feb. 15 incident in the casino elevator, Ravens executives -- in particular owner Steve Bisciotti, president Dick Cass and general manager Ozzie Newsome -- began extensive public and private campaigns pushing for leniency for Rice on several fronts: from the judicial system in Atlantic County, where Rice faced assault charges, to commissioner Goodell, who ultimately would decide the number of games Rice would be suspended from this fall, to within their own building, where some were arguing immediately after the incident that Rice should be released.

    The Ravens also consulted frequently with Rice's Philadelphia defense attorney, Michael J. Diamondstein, who in early April had obtained a copy of the inside-elevator video and told Cass: "It's f---ing horrible." Cass did not request a copy of the video from Diamondstein but instead began urging Rice's legal team to get Rice accepted into a pretrial intervention program after being told some of the program's benefits. Among them: It would keep the inside-elevator video from becoming public.

    For its part, the NFL -- which in other player discipline cases has been able to obtain information that's been sealed by court order -- took an uncharacteristically passive approach when it came to gathering evidence, opening itself up to widespread criticism, allegations of inconsistent approaches to player discipline and questions about whether Goodell gave Rice -- the corporate face of the Baltimore franchise -- a light punishment as a favor to his good friend Bisciotti. Four sources said Ravens executives, including Bisciotti, Cass and Newsome, urged Goodell and other league executives to give Rice no more than a two-game suspension, and that's what Goodell did on July 24.


    How the Ray Rice scandal unfolded between the Baltimore Ravens, Roger Goodell and the NFL - ESPN


    If this is accurate, the NFL should take significant measures against Bisciotti, Cass and Newsome. Suspending all three from any NFL-related activities until a thorough investigation is completed would not be unreasonable.

    Finally, although some of the NFL Commissioner's announced measures were constructive, his failure to name and empower an independent committee to fully examine the NFL's handling of the player cases and to devise an adequate policy framework for dealing with domestic abuse/child abuse cases, his failure to announce that the players currently on paid leave would be switched to unpaid leave (money to be made up with interest at the prevailing rate if they are exonerated), and failure to state that the players could face severe penalties on the order of a season-long suspension or more if they are convicted, suggested a still less than sufficiently decisive approach required to take control of the situation. Probably not too surprisingly, ESPN has now broken another potentially damaging story and NOW has reiterated its call for the NFL Commissioner to resign. How sponsors react in coming days will probably drive the evolution of events, but while the constructive steps can start the healing process, the lack of decisiveness has created risks that the scandal could continue to simmer.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Or could it be a media out of control right now, casting all focus on the NFL in the attempt to draw attention from a bumbling stumbling administration?
    Actually, domestic violence isn't restricted to the NFL, not by a long shot. There are guys from all walks of life who commit horrific acts of assault on their wives and girlfriends, many of whom will never be a football player, or any other kind of sports figure for that matter.

    The NFL should have created firm policies for players who commit domestic violence crimes against women and children a long time ago, and they should have been clear and non-negotiable. Such as, if you (ie the player) are arrested for assaulting your wife/girlfriend or child, you are immediately suspended from playing any games for the remainder of the season. If you (again, the player) are convicted on the charge(s), you are cut from the team permanently.

    Unfortunately, the NFL has no such policies in place, and doesn't seem to have a clue how to act when its players commit violent crimes. Do they deserve to have this focus on them? Absolutely. Whether or not its devoted fans agree with that focus is irrelevant.

  6. #36
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean007 View Post
    Actually, domestic violence isn't restricted to the NFL, not by a long shot. There are guys from all walks of life who commit horrific acts of assault on their wives and girlfriends, many of whom will never be a football player, or any other kind of sports figure for that matter.

    The NFL should have created firm policies for players who commit domestic violence crimes against women and children a long time ago, and they should have been clear and non-negotiable. Such as, if you (ie the player) are arrested for assaulting your wife/girlfriend or child, you are immediately suspended from playing any games for the remainder of the season. If you (again, the player) are convicted on the charge(s), you are cut from the team permanently.

    Unfortunately, the NFL has no such policies in place, and doesn't seem to have a clue how to act when its players commit violent crimes. Do they deserve to have this focus on them? Absolutely. Whether or not its devoted fans agree with that focus is irrelevant.
    So I take it from this complete overreaction, and totally over the top hyperbole concerning the NFL policies, brought about by the breathless media's rush to condemn 3 out of more than 1700 players in the NFL, and that since you specifically used the word "convicted" in your rant, that you feel that Ray Rice, whom has not been convicted of anything, should be reinstated in the NFL?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm not going to excuse these players action, however I don't see how it is your business, the NFL business or even the Teams business...

    Believe it or not athletes have PERSONAL TIME......
    I agree.

    If it's illegal, it's the individual's involved and the law's business.

    If it's legal (or no one presses charges), it's only the individual's involved business (assuming all are sane, consenting adults).


    Why is it no one else's business if two consenting adults want to have gay sex (which I agree with), but it is everyone else's business if two consenting adults have violent, legal encounters with each other?

    If a sane woman is punched by her husband, chooses to forgive him and refuses to press charges...then the incident is no one else's business - especially people that do not even know them.

    She may be asking for trouble by doing so, but if she is sane and consenting, it is her right to handle it that way...and no one else's business.
    Last edited by DA60; 09-20-14 at 02:13 PM.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Why is it no one else's business if two consenting adults want to have gay sex (which I agree with), but it is everyone else's business if two consenting adults have violent, legal encounters with each other?

    If a sane woman is punched by her husband, chooses to forgive him and refuses to press charges...then the incident is no one else's business - especially people that do not even know them.
    There's no comparison whatsoever. Sex is consensual. Violence against another violates among a person's most fundamental rights, those of safety and security. Moreover, many victims, because they remain under undue influence of the abuser, often favor "forgiveness" in situations no reasonable or rational person would. That vulnerability should not be exploited. Such victims should be protected and their abusers held accountable for their actions.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So I take it from this complete overreaction, and totally over the top hyperbole concerning the NFL policies, brought about by the breathless media's rush to condemn 3 out of more than 1700 players in the NFL, and that since you specifically used the word "convicted" in your rant, that you feel that Ray Rice, whom has not been convicted of anything, should be reinstated in the NFL?
    You bet I condemn guys who commit acts of domestic violence, whether they are football players or not. Don't like it? Tough.

    As for Rice, he was SHOWN punching his then-fiancee-now-wife in the face and knocking her unconscious. I call that an act of domestic violence, no matter what you choose to call it. IMO he should have been arrested for it immediately, as that is considered to be ASSAULT, an arrestable offense, then suspended for the rest of the season.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I agree.

    If it's illegal, it's the individual's involved and the law's business.

    If it's legal (or no one presses charges), it's only the individual's involved business (assuming all are sane, consenting adults).


    Why is it no one else's business if two consenting adults want to have gay sex (which I agree with), but it is everyone else's business if two consenting adults have violent, legal encounters with each other?

    If a sane woman is punched by her husband, chooses to forgive him and refuses to press charges...then the incident is no one else's business - especially people that do not even know them. She may be asking for trouble by doing so, but if she is sane and consenting, it is her right to handle it that way...and no one else's business.
    What utter NONSENSE, and how convenient, to put all the blame for HIS violent actions on the woman who was the victim of said violence. Great way to minimize or ignore the husband or boyfriend who does the PUNCHING of his wife or girlfriend, isn't it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •