Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    What do all these domestic violence perps have in common?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    And like I said above, that's fair, I don't agree with it, but I do think it's fair. I've been of the viewpoint this whole time that the issue was blown out of proportion for two reason:

    1) There is no other reported incidents of Ray Rice being violent or tied to any domestic abuse cases. Real "wife beaters" are habitual, they aren't just one time offenders. And in this day and age, if Ray Rice had sent his wife to the hospital, someone from that hospital would of leaked the incident, or spoken anonymously to TMZ and we'd of known of it.

    2) Not only did the wife go out of his way to stand up for him (not uncommon for domestic abuse victims), but we've also not heard anything from any of her friends. It's easy enough to dismiss the wife's voice, she's a domestic abuse victim and they'll often lie to cover up for their abuser, however that wouldn't prevent her friends from speaking up on her behalf (This is how many domestic abuse cases come to the attention of authorities).

    What those two facts tell me, is that in all likelihood, we just treated a guy who made a an awful mistake (and deserved to be punished with a suspension) but not one that had been made before. Considering he had never done this before, and the wife was so adamant in defending him (again, at this point, I'm not considering her a typical domestic abuse victim in that this hasn't occurred multiple times). If I was Roger Goddell, and I know all the above and I'm listening to Janay Rice who is pleading on her husband's behalf, I don't have a problem with the two game suspension.

    My problem with the NFL has been the frantic reaction to the reaction, which shows a lack of leadership and belief in their convictions.
    I think some of this is politically tied to the War on Women meme.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,028

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Say each team has about about 65-70 players (53 on roster, a few injured reserves, suspended, practice squad). Now there are 32 teams in the NFL today. Making them have between 2080 to 2240 players playing for them. Even if only 5% of men would commit domestic violence (and the numbers are supposedly higher, somewhat like 1 in 5) that would make between 104 and 112 on average guilty of domestic abuse.

    So having some arrests for domestic abuse under a group of men who play a very violent sport, who are under extreme pressure in their job, who work out in the gym, etc. etc. etc. etc. arrested is not that strange. It is just that they are highly visible and their arrests will lead to a media frenzy.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  4. #24
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    This one sounds fishy. On the news they said this happened last July. Why did she wait two months to report it?
    The announcement from the Phoenix Police Department said two incidents allegedly occurred on consecutive days in late July. They were reported last week

    I'm with you. Why'd she wait to report them, especially considering they involved an 18 month old child?

    Not excusing what he did, assuming he did what he's charged with doing. I just don't get the waiting part. I wonder if this is going to be a daily occurrence now.

  5. #25
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Say each team has about about 65-70 players (53 on roster, a few injured reserves, suspended, practice squad). Now there are 32 teams in the NFL today. Making them have between 2080 to 2240 players playing for them. Even if only 5% of men would commit domestic violence (and the numbers are supposedly higher, somewhat like 1 in 5) that would make between 104 and 112 on average guilty of domestic abuse.

    So having some arrests for domestic abuse under a group of men who play a very violent sport, who are under extreme pressure in their job, who work out in the gym, etc. etc. etc. etc. arrested is not that strange. It is just that they are highly visible and their arrests will lead to a media frenzy.
    I see where you're going with that, but assuming 5% of NFL players are guilty of violence against others, that sounds like a very large problem. Do you think 5% of the general population is into domestic violence against their wives/girlfriends and their children?

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    My problem with the NFL has been the frantic reaction to the reaction, which shows a lack of leadership and belief in their convictions.
    Even as we disagree on the appropriate suspension (I believe a much lengthier one was warranted), the NFL's reaction stems from the lack of a policy to deal with such cases. The NFL never brought in experts to help design policies related to such cases, even as the Ray Rice incident was not the NFL's first-such case. As a result, its approach has been ad hoc. Had the NFL had a set of policies, including penalties, let's say X game suspension for the first case, Y games or even a lifetime ban for the second, then implemented the terms of the policy, there would have been far less fallout. After all, the NFL could then have pointed out that its system was designed by experts in dealing with domestic abuse.

    It should be noted that many companies have well-defined policies for such circumstances. That the NFL, which has had past incidents among various players, apparently had none is a leadership failure. All the attention this very real problem is now drawing has detracted from the efforts and example of the NFL's majority of players who do not engage in domestic abuse, child abuse, or other crimes.

  7. #27
    User aseidner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    132

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    An update:

    According to a court document, the incident began the morning of July 21, when after a verbal argument with his wife at their Phoenix apartment, Dwyer allegedly tried to kiss his wife and remove her clothing.

    She told him to stop several times, and "when he continued, she bit the defendant's lip. He head-butted her in the face, which she later learned had caused a nasal bone fracture."

    A neighbor called police because of "the loud arguing," and when they arrived, Dwyer's wife told them that only she and her son were in the house, the document says. Dwyer acknowledged Wednesday that he was hiding in a bathroom at the time, according to police.

    Dwyer's wife said that the running back texted a photo of a knife, saying he didn't want to live, and threatened to kill himself in front of her and her son if she told police about the assault, the document says.

    On July 22, there was another argument, and Dwyer allegedly punched his wife on the left side of her face, according to the court document.

    "He also began punching the walls, causing visible damage. The defendant then picked up a shoe and threw it, striking their 17-month-old son in the stomach," it says. The child was not injured.

    When his wife threatened to call police, Dwyer allegedly took her phone and threw it from their second-story residence, the document says. As his wife fled, witnesses heard her yell, "He f---ing hit me; I'm calling the police." Witnesses also reported seeing "swelling and discoloration" on the left side of her face, according to police.
    NFL's Dwyer posts bond after domestic violence arrest - CNN.com

    Pretty sickening to see that this guy threatened to kill himself to save his own ass.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by aseidner View Post
    An update:



    NFL's Dwyer posts bond after domestic violence arrest - CNN.com

    Pretty sickening to see that this guy threatened to kill himself to save his own ass.
    I don't think it's surprising, though. Numerous such individuals often believe the world revolves around them. In such a perspective, they believe that all e.g., their spouses, are subservient to their wishes and, if not, can be compelled to become compliant. Hence, they can become abusive or worse.

    When caught, they can try to transfer responsibility to others (e.g., making their spouse "responsible" for harm that falls on them) to try to evade accountability for their own actions. These individuals have difficulty understanding that the people around them have independent will and difficulty accepting responsibility for their actions. Dwyer's threat to kill himself and Peterson's unwillingness so far to acknowledge he did anything wrong and his attempt to shift blame for his conduct onto his parents for providing a model for child discipline (which may or may not be truthful) are both attempts to escape personal responsibility.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,147

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    When it rains, it pours. Lordy.


    It seems to me that players are really have some issues turning off the aggression when they are off the field.
    Part of it revolves around the idea that they are celebrities and can get away with anything.

  10. #30
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Arizona Cardinals player arrested on domestic violence allegations

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Even as we disagree on the appropriate suspension (I believe a much lengthier one was warranted), the NFL's reaction stems from the lack of a policy to deal with such cases. The NFL never brought in experts to help design policies related to such cases, even as the Ray Rice incident was not the NFL's first-such case. As a result, its approach has been ad hoc. Had the NFL had a set of policies, including penalties, let's say X game suspension for the first case, Y games or even a lifetime ban for the second, then implemented the terms of the policy, there would have been far less fallout. After all, the NFL could then have pointed out that its system was designed by experts in dealing with domestic abuse.

    It should be noted that many companies have well-defined policies for such circumstances. That the NFL, which has had past incidents among various players, apparently had none is a leadership failure. All the attention this very real problem is now drawing has detracted from the efforts and example of the NFL's majority of players who do not engage in domestic abuse, child abuse, or other crimes.
    At the very least, I can agree with you on this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •