Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 391

Thread: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a [W:391]

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Every time these union thugs try to agitate management calls their bluff. The worst part is these union thugs ONLY supported this mcdonalds striking because it raised their own wages. But now the consequences are left to the mcdonalds guys alone-it was never about them.
    You may be right.

  2. #342
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Exactly my point. The cost of the machine has long since stopped being a factor. It's already cheaper to buy a tablet.

    edit: for clarification, that means the bigger issue is development cost and development time. That's already underway. They could accelerate that development by throwing more engineers at it, but there are diminishing returns to that, and these folks have higher salaries.
    "Doubling of labor costs will simply increase a fast food restaurant’s incentives to adopt technology like this. And if fast food wages doubled everywhere it would spur the development of these technologies even faster."

    The Real Change In The Cost Of A Big Mac If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 An Hour: Nothing - Forbes

    Not saying that the industry isn't headed that direction....But, why push it?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #343
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    It's a moot point to you, not to me.

    The main reason for automation is to save costs. If a company could pay it's workers a penny a day, they would probably never automate.

    And to me, my point is that if fast food workers push through a $15/hr. wage in America (which they are trying to do), then they will be signing their own pink slips (in many cases) because that move will massively increase the places where they work's incentive to automate.


    As for 'accepting' it?

    I already have, I would FAR prefer to be served by a robot then a human at McDonald's...by miles. And a TON of other places as well.

    They could automate 80+% of businesses and that would be absolutely fine wih me.

    I have no idea where you are getting the impression I feel otherwise.



    OK, I gather you have an MBA then.

    The main reason for automation is what? To save costs?

    I suggest you rethink that part of the equation and look into the development of automation in the auto industry.

    I don't give a fiddler's **** what your personal preferences are, it is irrelevant to the conversation. The point which you appear to deliberately ignore is that there are going to be far fewer jobs all around and the US is NOT keeping pace with the demand of technological training; the reason you have a higher unemployment rate than any other industrialized country.

    Minimum wage won't mean squat when there are no minimum wage jobs. That is the reality you seem to miss. and when the **** are "progressives" going to drop the 100 year old mantra about minimum wage; it was a good meme for Obama in 2012 but it is largely as irrelevant today as it was when it was first raised over 100 years ago.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  4. #344
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    It's a moot point to you, not to me.

    The main reason for automation is to save costs. If a company could pay it's workers a penny a day, they would probably never automate.

    And to me, my point is that if fast food workers push through a $15/hr. wage in America (which they are trying to do), then they will be signing their own pink slips (in many cases) because that move will massively increase the places where they work's incentive to automate.


    As for 'accepting' it?

    I already have, I would FAR prefer to be served by a robot then a human at McDonald's...by miles. And a TON of other places as well.

    They could automate 80+% of businesses and that would be absolutely fine wih me.

    I have no idea where you are getting the impression I feel otherwise.
    While this is true on principle, you're wrong about the $15/hour number being some tipping point for the fast food industry.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    "Doubling of labor costs will simply increase a fast food restaurant’s incentives to adopt technology like this. And if fast food wages doubled everywhere it would spur the development of these technologies even faster."

    The Real Change In The Cost Of A Big Mac If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 An Hour: Nothing - Forbes

    Not saying that the industry isn't headed that direction....But, why push it?
    Unintended consequences. I rarely eat there but its always a disaster when I do-why should an unskilled worker get 15 an hour to screw up my order and raise costs for me the consumer? The only thing McDonalds has going for it is being cheap and easy and this isn't going to help with that.

  6. #346
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes. Precisely. I agree 100%. The wage of the employee isn't the deciding factor. Raising their wages to $15/hour doesn't make this go any faster. The tablet is already way, way cheaper. It's just a matter of getting the customer to accept it.
    If operating costs suddenly jumped, betyourass those ordering stations get fast-tracked to the market. Given a potential small decline in sales vs a LARGE jump in operating costs, money would once again drive the decisions. Right now, it's probably cheaper to maintain the status quo and wait for society to get better used to more and more automation. That, and perhaps one of the other chains will implement it first and take a brunt of the marketing costs (and R&D, and social experimentation) on their own chin.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  7. #347
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Other restaurants owned by the same owners? That might be possible. The menus might be similar and the resources of labor considered shared. But other restaurants/chains? Not on your life. You're living in a dream world.
    Restaurants owned and run by other people. McD's may not do this, but restaurants do this all the time. So do chain restaurants. I had a friend who ran a TGIF's and one day he had to fire his entire wait staff. He called HQ and they called the other TGIF's in the area who sent workers.



    Hourly. Servers are the lowest-paid hourly employees. We were talking specifically about the costs of labor, so I am obviously talking about their hourly wages paid by the restaurant. Order takers are paid at the same hourly wage as cooks, generally speaking, as they do not make tips. The fact that I have to explain this to you is fairly sad. It seems like you are intentionally misunderstanding the facts at hand so you don't have to deal with the argument (which you are losing terribly).
    Yes, the cooks wages are higher than wait staff, but wait staff often makes more. you said the opposite and that's what I was addressing.

    And we're not talking about cooks. This thread is about the counter people who take orders.



    You've made the assertion that 10% of gross is insignificant, over and over again. It's not. It's quite significant.
    It is not a large part of their expenses.


    I'm sure people ordering on a tablet is faster than having an order taken by virtue of being able to cheaply furnish more order taking stations and thus serving more customers simultaneously, thus increasing sales. But do you think McDonald's has held off on this specifically so they can keep paying for expensive labor? No! The most reasonable conclusion is that customers might react negatively to forced interaction with a machine instead of a person. A small effect in this vein was noticed when big box supermarkets started installing a few self-checkout stations. After several years and continued labor scale backs, people are pretty much ok with self-checkouts now, but there was pushback at first. McDonald's is obviously trying to avoid the "impersonal/robot/vending machine" vibe that automated order taking is likely to impart at first. Which makes this a marketing campaign to sell it to the consumer. Campaigns take time and money, which is obviously why McDonald's hasn't rolled this out yet. Money makes almost all of the decisions in a globally spanning enterprise.
    IOW, you insist that McD's is lying but have no evidence to support that.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #348
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Restaurants owned and run by other people. McD's may not do this, but restaurants do this all the time. So do chain restaurants. I had a friend who ran a TGIF's and one day he had to fire his entire wait staff. He called HQ and they called the other TGIF's in the area who sent workers.
    I clearly said "other restaurants/chains". Calling one TGIF to staff another is the same chain.

    You're doing this on purpose, right? Nobody is that blatantly obtuse and oblivious who can pay for their internet connection.

    Yes, the cooks wages are higher than wait staff, but wait staff often makes more. you said the opposite and that's what I was addressing.

    And we're not talking about cooks. This thread is about the counter people who take orders.
    Perhaps you really are that oblivious. Cooks and cashiers at McDonald's make the same amount. They have the same staffing requirements, just like cooks in traditional restaurants. Waitresses, however, fall under slightly different rules since you can pay them a quarter of what you pay cooks. So, while waitresses get waaaaay overstaffed, because they don't cost the restaurant very much money per hour and you can train a new one in a day (and are a dime a dozen), cooks and cashiers (the higher hourly-rate workers) are not as overstaffed. But when a cook or a cashier calls in sick, it is a much bigger deal than if a waitress calls in sick, so there needs to be some overstaffing built into the schedule. This drives up cost. If a cook or cashier is missing, food takes longer to order and be served, which not only leads to fewer sales in the short term but also a long term sales drop if these conditions continue. Sales loss is the same as an increased cost when considering the bottom line.

    I know you know this is true. You're just stalling and muddling things so you don't have to defend an argument (or actually attack a well constructed one). Come on, get on the level. It's super annoying when you do this and it makes you look like a jackass.

    It is not a large part of their expenses.
    At one point you said a 24/7/365 shift "is nothing" compared to what it brings in. Three nothings, according to you, is "not a large part of their expenses." But those three nothings are in the ballpark of 10% of the total gross, which is between a quarter and a third of their of the total wage expense. When you are talking about a multi-million dollar enterprise, 1% is significant. And you're scoffing at 10% like it's no big deal. You clearly have no idea how business works.

    IOW, you insist that McD's is lying but have no evidence to support that.
    It's obvious you don't know the first thing about marketing, either.

    This is sad. You need some school, son.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  9. #349
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    I clearly said "other restaurants/chains". Calling one TGIF to staff another is the same chain.

    You're doing this on purpose, right? Nobody is that blatantly obtuse and oblivious who can pay for their internet connection.
    Decades of experience in the industry has taught me that restaurants hire more part time people than they need so they always have someone who can come in when someone calls in sick. In the case of kitchen staff, they not only over hire, but they can also call other restaurants for a favor.


    Perhaps you really are that oblivious. Cooks and cashiers at McDonald's make the same amount. They have the same staffing requirements, just like cooks in traditional restaurants. Waitresses, however, fall under slightly different rules since you can pay them a quarter of what you pay cooks. So, while waitresses get waaaaay overstaffed, because they don't cost the restaurant very much money per hour and you can train a new one in a day (and are a dime a dozen), cooks and cashiers (the higher hourly-rate workers) are not as overstaffed. But when a cook or a cashier calls in sick, it is a much bigger deal than if a waitress calls in sick, so there needs to be some overstaffing built into the schedule. This drives up cost. If a cook or cashier is missing, food takes longer to order and be served, which not only leads to fewer sales in the short term but also a long term sales drop if these conditions continue. Sales loss is the same as an increased cost when considering the bottom line.
    McDonalds also hires extra people and gives them less hours to work, which is why so few of their employees are full time. When one calls in sick, they call in another.

    It's really simple. I have no idea why it's taking you so long to catch on.


    At one point you said a 24/7/365 shift "is nothing" compared to what it brings in. Three nothings, according to you, is "not a large part of their expenses." But those three nothings are in the ballpark of 10% of the total gross, which is between a quarter and a third of their of the total wage expense. When you are talking about a multi-million dollar enterprise, 1% is significant. And you're scoffing at 10% like it's no big deal. You clearly have no idea how business works.
    Instead of ranting, you'd be better off if you could show that the costs of the counter people make up a large part of their expenses. Unfortunately for you, that's impossible to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #350
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Decades of experience in the industry has taught me that restaurants hire more part time people than they need so they always have someone who can come in when someone calls in sick. In the case of kitchen staff, they not only over hire, but they can also call other restaurants for a favor.
    Ignoring your continued stubbornness about calling other restaurants (which does not happen outside of the same chains and co-owned businesses), there is a ton of overstaffing on the books. But every person you hire to cook (or cashier) requires training. Training costs money. This is an added cost, making the 10% figure a minimum expense. After taxes, SS, medicare, benefits, training requirements, and overstaffing the schedule, 10% is an incredibly low estimate. 10% is just wages, and just for cashiers.

    McDonalds also hires extra people and gives them less hours to work, which is why so few of their employees are full time. When one calls in sick, they call in another.

    It's really simple. I have no idea why it's taking you so long to catch on.
    That's rich. You are either blatantly ignoring the argument - that training and overstaffing represents additional expense - or you are illiterate. I'm not catching on? You're not reading. Perhaps you just don't have the ability. It's beginning to look that way. If you even once responded to the argument as it was presented and brought up salient points instead of trying to confuse the issue enough to trip up your opponent into a "gotcha!", people couldn't accuse you of illiteracy. People couldn't accuse you of arguing in bad faith, or intentionally misconstruing arguments down nonsensical paths, or ignoring inconvenient points in favor of blatantly lying and insulting and sticking your fingers in your ears, if only you read the damn argument and responded in kind. Do that once and see how liberating honest discourse really can be.

    Instead of ranting, you'd be better off if you could show that the costs of the counter people make up a large part of their expenses. Unfortunately for you, that's impossible to do.
    You mean like the very generous analysis of likely required manning for register shifts (84 man-hours, or 3.5 24-hour shift blocks) which equates to roughly 10% of gross sales, just for wages (not other expenses), that you called not a large part of their expenses?

    Get out of here. You're lying again, saying I haven't provided the very thing we've been talking about for pages upon pages now. Or you're just illiterate.
    Last edited by Gonzo Rodeo; 09-24-14 at 12:44 AM.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •