Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 391

Thread: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a [W:391]

  1. #261
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,067

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'If you’ve ever felt guilty ordering at McDonald’s, the fast-food mega-chain has just the fix: You can now order your own quarter-pound bacon cheeseburger from a welcoming, non-judging machine.

    Battling the worst sales slump in a decade and competition from build-your-own upstarts like Chipotle and Smashburger, McDonald’s is expanding a test concept built around ordering via tablet. Just tap on a screen and watch as your burger’s toppings (and calories) pile on, then wait for an employee to bring it over. No human interaction necessary.

    McDonald’s move towards dehumanization, launched as a pilot last winter and expanded across San Diego last week, is part of a larger trend of chain eateries turning tablets into your full-time restaurant buddy: equal parts menu, server and paycheck. Applebee’s, Panera Bread and even airport bars have installed tablets to allow diners to order food or booze without a wait.'


    McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a machine - The Washington Post


    This is what happens when - among other reasons - you start demanding higher pay then your position is worth (like fast food workers demanding $15/hr.).

    If these fast food workers force Congress to adopt a $15/hr. minimum wage? I guarantee you that the above will be the result...automation and mass layoffs.

    It ain't rocket science people - you are VERY replaceable.
    You seem to be making two completely separate points. High wages making the vending machines happen... but the story is about slumping sales... which has nothing to do with higher wages. Also, I don't believe they got these higher wages. I think they just requested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #262
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,067

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    From a business standpoint this is a ridiculous move.

    The reason McDonalds's sales are slumping is because they have an inferior product as compared to their competition. 5 Guys, In 'n' Out, and others offer a better burger at more or less the same price.

    If McD's wants to get back their market share they need to go back to their roots and start offering a marginal burger really, really fast. For decades the whole reason people went to McD's is because by the time you finished ordering your meal was on the tray in front of you. Yeah, the burger had been sitting under a heat lamp for 10 minutes and it really wasn't that great but it was also 29 cents and in your hand damned near before you could blink. They don't need specialty burgers and coffee lounges. They just need clean restaurants and lickity split service with the same old mediocre burgers they've always had.
    God I hope In & Out gets to Santa Fe sometime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #263
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,067

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do like the idea of the tablet due to the fact people can misunderstand.I know there has been more than one occasion I ordered a unsweetened iced tea and got a sweet iced tea.I can see why restaurants would want these tablets. Waiters can't be everywhere at once and customers might order additional food and drinls if they do not have to wait for their waiter who is currently busy at another table. These companies make billions of dollars even after expenses.So they can afford to pay their employees a little more.
    What gets me is the whole drive through speaker thing. Why? They installed 2nd windows in drive throughs. Why not just order and pay at the first and collect your goods at the 2nd. In my experience, you probably quadruple the miscommunication errors because you are not looking at the person you are talking to and are instead trying to defeat traffic noise and static to get your order communicated right. Wouldn't happen so much if you just looked them in the face and said what you wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #264
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You seem to be making two completely separate points. High wages making the vending machines happen... but the story is about slumping sales... which has nothing to do with higher wages. Also, I don't believe they got these higher wages. I think they just requested it.
    Pretty incredible, isn't it?

    The minimum wage hasn't been raised, and wingnuts think McD's automating counter service is the result of raising the minimum wage

    If aliens from outer space ever visit us, they're going to have a hard time believing we're the smartest species on the planet.

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    What gets me is the whole drive through speaker thing. Why? They installed 2nd windows in drive throughs. Why not just order and pay at the first and collect your goods at the 2nd. In my experience, you probably quadruple the miscommunication errors because you are not looking at the person you are talking to and are instead trying to defeat traffic noise and static to get your order communicated right. Wouldn't happen so much if you just looked them in the face and said what you wanted.
    By the time you get to the window, they've taken and started to work on several more orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #265
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    What gets me is the whole drive through speaker thing. Why? They installed 2nd windows in drive throughs. Why not just order and pay at the first and collect your goods at the 2nd. In my experience, you probably quadruple the miscommunication errors because you are not looking at the person you are talking to and are instead trying to defeat traffic noise and static to get your order communicated right. Wouldn't happen so much if you just looked them in the face and said what you wanted.
    They actually put in the second window to get people's money faster so they didn't get people driving away frustrated without paying. If you look at the way most drive-thrus are constructed, and not just at McDonalds, it's to keep you locked in place until you get to the window to pay.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #266
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,067

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    They actually put in the second window to get people's money faster so they didn't get people driving away frustrated without paying. If you look at the way most drive-thrus are constructed, and not just at McDonalds, it's to keep you locked in place until you get to the window to pay.
    Still... make the order there instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #267
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Still... make the order there instead.
    That will just slow the process down, they count on the time you have to sit waiting to get to the window to make the food. If you only had room for 2-3 cars in line, the first one would have to sit a long time waiting for their food and you'd be back to cars driving off without paying. Of course, they could put a remote station out at the order board, there was actually a Wendy's that did that a long time ago locally, and orders could be taken in person and paid on the spot, I don't know if it just didn't work out or what, but they remodeled the restaurant and took it out again not long after.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #268
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,067

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That will just slow the process down, they count on the time you have to sit waiting to get to the window to make the food. If you only had room for 2-3 cars in line, the first one would have to sit a long time waiting for their food and you'd be back to cars driving off without paying. Of course, they could put a remote station out at the order board, there was actually a Wendy's that did that a long time ago locally, and orders could be taken in person and paid on the spot, I don't know if it just didn't work out or what, but they remodeled the restaurant and took it out again not long after.
    They don't make the food any faster though. Still takes the same amount of time. And more importantly, they will get your order right more often and you don't have to go into the store to fix their screwups. I know I know... that's not considered in the corporate business model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #269
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    They don't make the food any faster though. Still takes the same amount of time. And more importantly, they will get your order right more often and you don't have to go into the store to fix their screwups. I know I know... that's not considered in the corporate business model.
    From personal experience, I can say that standing at the counter, talking to one of the cashiers directly does not make them give you the correct order any more often.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #270
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,067

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    From personal experience, I can say that standing at the counter, talking to one of the cashiers directly does not make them give you the correct order any more often.
    I rarely get an order messed up if I do it faced to face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •