Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 391

Thread: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a [W:391]

  1. #211
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,689

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    are you looking at the same graph I am?

    It shows senior poverty dropping by more than 2/3 and child poverty dropping approx 20%

    It also shows child poverty increasing the most when Reagan and bush* were President
    My initial statement was regarding the last 40 years.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #212
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    My initial statement was regarding the last 40 years.
    IOW, you're cherry picking
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #213
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,689

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, you're cherry picking
    Nope. I was pointing out that escalating costs of the war on poverty over the last 40 years have yielded no results. That isn't cherry picking.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,862

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Sure it does there are things a cashier can do more efficiently than a machine and that's why there are more cashiers than machines it's that simple
    Yup...just like there were things horses and carriages could do more efficiently than cars...until car technology and adoption made that untrue.

    it is that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #215
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Nope. I was pointing out that escalating costs of the war on poverty over the last 40 years have yielded no results. That isn't cherry picking.
    No, you picked the point where child poverty hit its' lowest point, the ams War on Poverty was the 60's (not the 70's) and you ignore that some programs have been cut (or even eliminated) and the effects that has had since that time

    Removing the decade in which poverty programs had their greatest effect on poverty is a dishonest way to argue that poverty programs have had no effect on poverty
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #216
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,689

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, you picked the point where child poverty hit its' lowest point, the ams War on Poverty was the 60's (not the 70's) and you ignore that some programs have been cut (or even eliminated) and the effects that has had since that time

    Removing the decade in which poverty programs had their greatest effect on poverty is a dishonest way to argue that poverty programs have had no effect on poverty
    It's a simple concept really, Sangha, I was arguing that the spending increases of the last 40 years haven't budged the poverty rate. This isn't cherry picking, it is a simple fact, like saying that the planet has warmed 0.8C in the last 110 years when 110 years ago was a low point in global climate. That isn't cherry picking either, just stating a fact.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #217
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    It's a simple concept really, Sangha, I was arguing that the spending increases of the last 40 years haven't budged the poverty rate. This isn't cherry picking, it is a simple fact, like saying that the planet has warmed 0.8C in the last 110 years when 110 years ago was a low point in global climate. That isn't cherry picking either, just stating a fact.
    And picking the last 40 years is cherry picking because these programs have been around longer than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #218
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,779

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Your guess avoids logic and real world developments of the last 50 years. I don't "like" mine, it's just what is going to happen.
    My guess really doesn't. If the cost is equal, and you say it's getting there, then there exists a ton of incentives to avoid the incredible, daily hassle of dealing with low skilled employees, taxes, unemployment, calling in sick, failing to show, etc. I don't think the cost difference is the barrier - it's whether the machines can do the job as well as humans and whether people accept them. There are self checkout places in stores with wages FAR above minimum wage. If McD finds that people accept robots or automated kiosks, they'll replace workers whether they're paid $8 an hour or $15. As someone pointed out, in Europe they're getting $15. Why haven't they all been replaced by machines? At any rate, it's an objective question and you've cited no data or evidence, same as me.

    It appears the answer is yes in some cases. They don't seem to be helping. That isn't saying that there aren't the possibility of better programs that the money would be better spent on, however, just that the programs of the last 40 years have been abysmally inept.
    Can you cite any study, treatise, discussion, or are we just supposed to take your word for it?

    Mandatory spending between 1993 and 2013 outpaced inflation by more than a factor of three (Inflation was 61%, Mandatory spending rose 200%), and poverty rates didn't change. Surely you don't see this as a success?
    That's mostly Medicare and SS, and the poverty rates of old people DID change. Look at the graph.

    Yes they are, because when we are discussing JOBS you try to change the subject to a subject that is pretty much the OPPOSITE of jobs.
    I wasn't just discussing jobs. You jumped in to a thread and want to determine what's an appropriate topic, which is what YOU want to talk about, after the fact.

    Me: "Unskilled workers jobs are threatened by innovation, Does the government owe them anything?"

    You: "BLAAARG!! YOU WANT KILL WELFARE AND CHILDREN!!!"
    It wasn't me who said the only role for government was to "modernize" the workforce. If you wanted to say, "modernize the workforce, expand EITC, etc." then you should have said it instead of assuming we'd all understand you.

    Yes, you intentionally inferred a comment about welfare from a comment I said that had nothing to do with welfare. It isn't a matter of "parsing for weasel words", it's a matter of you learning how to read in general without dumping a truck load of your own garbage on what the other person wrote.
    Again, if you want to jump into a discussion, you can't then make the rules about what is appropriate to discuss.

    When have we actually had a situation that matches this free trade and modernization? Jobs are going off shore because it is cheaper, companies are leaving because taxes are lower. You and every other nanny-state promoter ignore the simple fact that it is DEMOCRAT policies that are driving jobs over seas and driving companies to countries with lower taxes.

    You also ignore the reason why so many jobs ended up going to China, and the US lost it's edge over Japan in the automotive and technology markets: US Protectionism created s**ty products in the 70s and 80s.
    One reason jobs are going overseas are the subsistence wages and lack of safety rules, work rules, so they're poisoning workers and the population, which DOES make it cheaper to make stuff. Look up a picture of China - I've been there, and there were clear days you can't see a quarter mile because of the smog. Kills perhaps 500,000 Chinese per year. It's a big advantage, not to mention the explicit and implicit Chinese subsidies in general, such as them holding down their currency to make their goods cheaper and more.

    FWIW, I agree and have said we might as well subsidize the hell out of our manufacturers. It would make the playing field somewhat level. Lower the tax rate to zero for all I care - just tax wages and dividends and capital gains. The big boys already pay voluntary U.S. taxes on overseas profits. I'd rather domestic producers face the same option.

    And the manufacturing jobs lost over seas were replaced with a booming services market in IT and contruction. Your way of processing information seems to rely heavily on zero sum logic... sprinkled with a healthy dose of the bigotry of low expectations for low income workers.
    No they weren't, except for construction, in a BUBBLE. You're not really saying that's an equivalent trade off are you?

    And I'm just looking at data. I've driven around lots of Tennessee towns that used to thrive and are now empty shells, and I see the wage data for the working class and it's declining or at best stagnant. If you have any data to present to make your case, do so. I've looked for years to find the evidence "free trade" works and just haven't seen it. But I'm open to learning new things. You got anything but you saying it's true?

    Note that the only decline in the poverty rate in that 40 year span has been in the retirement population, poverty in working age families has increased, and in the end it is a wash with no net change in the national poverty rate.
    OK, and..... You had a ramp up in poverty spending and showed big drops in the poverty rate. Since then from what I've read most of the growth is in healthcare, which is consistent with growth in healthcare costs for everyone, and spending on other programs has been more or less similar, with small increases. So what should happen to the poverty rate given real wages for the bottom 20% have declined since the 1970s?
    Last edited by JasperL; 09-17-14 at 08:21 PM.

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Couple days ago I left the garden gate open and a doe and last years fawn went in and wiped out our tomatoes. I don't have a tag and I'm too close to the road so had to chase them out and the young one got messed up in the wire mesh and I had to carry her out.
    Picked a tick off my neck at the hair line later, and I've been reading up on Lyme disease ever since!
    Never hunted hogs. Do you bait them?
    Around here some people trap them, which involves building an enclosure close to where they travel and baiting them in. But I'm not a wholesale hunter. My friends and I hunt for meat, not population control, and we are all rifle instructors. We look at it as organic pork and nuisance control, not target practice. But on a good night a group of us can knock down enough to fill our coolers. They are plenty prolific to feed a lot of people, we advocate hunting for food and consider it a local commodity. A real hunter respects the animals they hunt and work to maintain the herd. Hogs are exponential breeders. We don't want to wipe them out but the population does need to be controlled. They have no natural predators here except for maybe coyote, but those are hunted to maintain livestock. And honestly wild hog 2 to 1 with venison makes excellent sausage.

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: McDonald’s fresh hope to turn around slumping sales: Ordering burgers from a mach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That's what I do - I just don't ground the steak. I actually cut up a nice skirt steak and mix it with my ground beef... It makes for a really tasty burger. I also throw bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce into the ground beef and steak mix - make my patty's and throw them on the grill. Everyone loves them because they're "chewy" because of the steak, so it's like getting the best of both worlds - a burger and a steak. haha
    That's an excellent idea. This weekend, that is happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    What is wrong with you? A burger is good but steak is steak. I'm almost certain it is a felony in Texas to turn a perfectly good steak into a burger.
    Well I probably wouldn't use "perfectly" good steak, I'd probably use decent steak. Including the kind that was recently marked down for nearing its expiration. If it's a felony to turn steak into burger, what is it when grocers have to toss out steak that didn't sell? Beef holocaust?

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •