Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 387

Thread: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

  1. #311
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I understand all of this but it doesn't really tell me what I need.

    If say Warren Buffet was taxed more, how much more money would you & I have as middle class people? The lower college costs is fine, but if someone doesn't have kids, or if someone's kids are already out of school (or go on a scholarship), no benefit to them. I pay thousands of dollars a year for healthcare for my family; I'm not sure how taxing Buffet more will change that (I don't think it will make costs come down).
    Once again, I haven't advocated raising taxes. Most of what I've posted revolves around redirecting taxes away from subsidies for wealthy entities and toward programs that benefit the middle class.

    However, the question remains: How much revenue could be generated by raising the tax on capital gains? According to the CBO, a 2% raise would generate a little over 50 billion over the next nine years.

    As a percentage of the whole, that's not a lot, but then, neither is a 2% increase.

    Now, let's look at the effect of income disparity and the overall economy. What do you think the effect of wealth being more and more concentrated is having on the economy as a whole? Is it a good thing, negative thing, or neutral?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #312
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Once again, I haven't advocated raising taxes. Most of what I've posted revolves around redirecting taxes away from subsidies for wealthy entities and toward programs that benefit the middle class.

    However, the question remains: How much revenue could be generated by raising the tax on capital gains? According to the CBO, a 2% raise would generate a little over 50 billion over the next nine years.

    As a percentage of the whole, that's not a lot, but then, neither is a 2% increase.

    Now, let's look at the effect of income disparity and the overall economy. What do you think the effect of wealth being more and more concentrated is having on the economy as a whole? Is it a good thing, negative thing, or neutral?
    Okay then we're having different discussions. Bernie Sanders wants to raise taxes on the wealthy. That's all well and good, and neat that it raises revenue for the government, but it won't help the middle class, and it won't solve income inequality.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Okay then we're having different discussions. Bernie Sanders wants to raise taxes on the wealthy. That's all well and good, and neat that it raises revenue for the government, but it won't help the middle class, and it won't solve income inequality.
    No, it won't solve income inequality. It might make a little bit of a difference, but not much. There are many other things that need to be done to solve this problem, starting with the recognition that it actually is a problem.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #314
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Article from yesterday that has his intent to most likely run as a Democrat instead of a third party should he run for prez.

    Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders on 2016: 'If I run, I will run to win'

    "If I run, I will run to win," Sanders, 73, said Tuesday at a CNN/National Journal event in Washington, D.C., dismissing the notion that his interest is to play spoiler for Hillary Clinton's potential bid for the Democratic nomination.

    "I can't walk down the street without being asked about Hillary," the self-proclaimed "democratic socialist" and longest-serving independent member of Congress said. "If I decide to run for president, it's not against Hillary Clinton."

    On Sunday's "Meet the Press," Sanders said he is considering a run for president ó as a Democrat.

    "I am thinking about running for president," Sanders said. "Running as a Democrat ó thatís something that Iím looking at right now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #315
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Article from yesterday that has his intent to most likely run as a Democrat instead of a third party should he run for prez.

    Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders on 2016: 'If I run, I will run to win'

    "If I run, I will run to win," Sanders, 73, said Tuesday at a CNN/National Journal event in Washington, D.C., dismissing the notion that his interest is to play spoiler for Hillary Clinton's potential bid for the Democratic nomination.

    "I can't walk down the street without being asked about Hillary," the self-proclaimed "democratic socialist" and longest-serving independent member of Congress said. "If I decide to run for president, it's not against Hillary Clinton."

    On Sunday's "Meet the Press," Sanders said he is considering a run for president — as a Democrat.

    "I am thinking about running for president," Sanders said. "Running as a Democrat — that’s something that I’m looking at right now."
    It would be refreshing to have a candidate who says what he truly believes and the people can take to the bank what he says. Sure would beat the old tell the people what they want to hear that everyone running for office does.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #316
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    It would be refreshing to have a candidate who says what he truly believes and the people can take to the bank what he says. Sure would beat the old tell the people what they want to hear that everyone running for office does.
    You know the Gandhi saying...

    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

    Well it seems we are already through the "ignoring" part already. The opposition research is surfacing their intent to go into the "laugh at you" phase.

    Sen. Bernie Sanders cut a record in 1987 and itís exactly what youíd expect
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You know the Gandhi saying...

    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

    Well it seems we are already through the "ignoring" part already. The opposition research is surfacing their intent to go into the "laugh at you" phase.

    Sen. Bernie Sanders cut a record in 1987 and it’s exactly what you’d expect
    I highly doubt I would ever vote for him, but he has and always had my respect. I wish him luck. Let's just say, laugh at your own risk.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #318
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,522

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Yep, it would be a cold day in Hell when I vote for Sanders. The scary thing is, if Obama got elected, then who the hell doesn't have a shot?

    There are lots of people on the left in this country that don't give a hoot about what this country was founded on, and will blissfully vote for anyone with a "D" next to his/her name because, awe shucks, he cares about the people.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #319
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Yep, it would be a cold day in Hell when I vote for Sanders. The scary thing is, if Obama got elected, then who the hell doesn't have a shot?

    There are lots of people on the left in this country that don't give a hoot about what this country was founded on, and will blissfully vote for anyone with a "D" next to his/her name because, awe shucks, he cares about the people.
    Yep, it would be a cold day in Hell when I wouldn't vote for Sanders. The scary thing is, if Bush got elected, then who the hell doesn't have a shot?

    There are lots of people on the right in this country that don't give a hoot about what this country was founded on, and will blissfully vote for anyone with a "R" next to his/her name because, awe shucks, he cares about the people
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #320
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,522

    Re: Liberal Vermont Senator Sanders may seek U.S. presidency in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Yep, it would be a cold day in Hell when I wouldn't vote for Sanders. The scary thing is, if Bush got elected, then who the hell doesn't have a shot?

    There are lots of people on the right in this country that don't give a hoot about what this country was founded on, and will blissfully vote for anyone with a "R" next to his/her name because, awe shucks, he cares about the people
    Impressive.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •