Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 140

Thread: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

  1. #101
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,879

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    More allegations--another 4-year old and different baby-mama--according to TMZ, which cites Houston's KHOU: New accusations: Peterson injured another son while disciplining 4-year-old

  2. #102
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Haha, what a Neanderthal.
    Neanderthals did not have 'spoons.'

    Hmmmmfff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I think indicting Peterson is ridiculous...I have no problem with a parent spanking his child on the butt with a switch or belt....It was done to me and all my friends growing up and we turned out pretty well.
    Well we here can only judge by YOU and let me just say: I disagree.

    IMO you are actually a good example of why this abuse is a terrible ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Not only that, but almost all media outlets I've seen & heard use the term "tree branch", which insinuates something much worse than a 'switch'.

    I don't approve of using switches, but I also don't approve of misleading information in a thinly veiled effort to form public opinion.
    Did you see the marks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    This spanking was done with a thin switch (A thin branch from a tree), I've been walking through the woods and have been whipped accidentally with a branch let go from the person walking in front of me.

    Yes even a light swat caused by walking into a switch can cause bleeding and whelps.

    I don't know how hard he swat the kid, and it was a bit much, but abuse akin to locking a kid in a closet for a week or something like that, no. I just don't know if criminal abuse fits, I do think bad parenting and severe punishment applies. Too severe even, yes.
    Not only did he do it repeatedly, this was a 4 year old. Not an older kid that knows he's just getting a beating. A kid this age is terrorized by this because he doesnt understand that the adult will (probably) stop before he kills him.

    This, from a man that supposedly loves him?

    It's disgusting that you try to excuse this with getting a single branch in the face hiking.

    No, light swats to NOT cause bleeding and welts....I also hike and ride in the woods...I have never had a SINGLE wound like that and I was a park ranger doing trail maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #106
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Not only did he do it repeatedly, this was a 4 year old. Not an older kid that knows he's just getting a beating. A kid this age is terrorized by this because he doesnt understand that the adult will (probably) stop before he kills him.

    This, from a man that supposedly loves him?

    It's disgusting that you try to excuse this with getting a single branch in the face hiking.

    No, light swats to NOT cause bleeding and welts....I also hike and ride in the woods...I have never had a SINGLE wound like that and I was a park ranger doing trail maintenance.
    Actually, that's the age that you do give the spanking, not when their older. At that age there's really very little else to do. My wife's brother use to be a terror at that age and would respond to nothing else. Personally, I think the moment you can get them hooked on something (Internet, Cell Phone, Game System, etc.) that's when you have the ultimate punishment available. I will say though that where the line get's to be crossed for me was when I heard mention of the leaf thing, at that point it's going to far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Well we here can only judge by YOU and let me just say: I disagree.

    IMO you are actually a good example of why this abuse is a terrible ideas.
    I will say, he did walk into that, but you have to admit, that for generations this stuff has been accepted and on the whole, society hasn't turned out that bad. I mean, back in the thirties this was common place and they only created the greatest generation. Just what do we have to show for this today?

  7. #107
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    More allegations--another 4-year old and different baby-mama--according to TMZ, which cites Houston's KHOU: New accusations: Peterson injured another son while disciplining 4-year-old
    UPDATE: Adrian Peterson's lawyer Rusty Hardin released the following statement:

    "The allegation of another investigation into Adrian Peterson is simply not true. This is not a new allegation, it's one that is unsubstantiated and was shopped around to authorities in two states over a year ago and nothing came of it. An adult witness adamantly insists Adrian did nothing inappropriate with his son. There is no ongoing or new investigation."

  8. #108
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Actually, that's the age that you do give the spanking, not when their older. At that age there's really very little else to do. My wife's brother use to be a terror at that age and would respond to nothing else. Personally, I think the moment you can get them hooked on something (Internet, Cell Phone, Game System, etc.) that's when you have the ultimate punishment available. I will say though that where the line get's to be crossed for me was when I heard mention of the leaf thing, at that point it's going to far.


    ?
    I am not against spanking, that was a brutal beating that went on and on. Just count the strokes.

    How do you know 'there's nothing else to do?' Did they say what the kid did? (Not that anything a 4 yr old could do warrants that beating). I grew up being spanked also and havent been arrested yet, but parenting professionals DO have many other options besides spanking these days.

    Ever see Super Nanny on TV?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I will say, he did walk into that, but you have to admit, that for generations this stuff has been accepted and on the whole, society hasn't turned out that bad. I mean, back in the thirties this was common place and they only created the greatest generation. Just what do we have to show for this today?
    My parents grew up in the '30s. They are NOTHING like him, yet they are conservative ACTUAL Christians...meaning church board members and Sunday school teachers, yet teaching God's love and compassion...still loving their gay nephew and his husband and adopted daughter (way back to the 90s when they first got together) and as members of Rotary, taking in families, including Muslims, that came to the US for their kids to have operations. And admitting they learned from every family that came...and liked and accepted them.

    I am so proud of my parents, I wish I could live up to them. After 9/11, in their 60s, they joined the Auxiliary Coast Guard down in FL....I had to help them with the computer tests because they werent used to computers but they persevered. There were physical tests too. They still go out on the ships with them today.

    Nothing Navy Pride writes EVER reminds me of my parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #110
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I am not against spanking, that was a brutal beating that went on and on. Just count the strokes.

    How do you know 'there's nothing else to do?' Did they say what the kid did? (Not that anything a 4 yr old could do warrants that beating). I grew up being spanked also and havent been arrested yet, but parenting professionals DO have many other options besides spanking these days?

    Ever see Super Nanny on TV?
    This is my problem with that line of thought, today's young people aren't exactly looking like there that much better off. Have you seen all the school shootings, spike in depression, increased drug use... I could go on and on but suffice to say that ever since we decided that spanking was the problem, things have been getting a lot worse. Ultimately, I don't define Child Abuse in what is done, but what is the intent. The more time I've had to chew on this issue, and the more I've heard about it, it sounds like that when the spanking occurred, it wasn't done from a state of mind of teaching the child right from wrong, but from anger. Adrian Peterson is a strong guy, so I can excuse the pictures if I thought that he just didn't know his own strength. Everything else, well, listening to you people make it sounds like AP tying up his kid like a pinata and swatting on him until the candy came out. The leaves thing, if that turns out to be true, is more telling to me and is where I think emotion came into play. I will say this, I wouldn't have a problem with the whelps I've seen if AP gave "the talk" afterwards, and did it from a mind clear of anger.

    And no, but I did watch the Nanny with Fran Drescher, does that count?

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •