Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 442

Thread: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

  1. #41
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Since the two players are gone, modifying the cross into a minus sign would make more sense than a plus sign.

    Weighing in: the crosses wouldn't bother me in the least. Next, people will be wanting the Saints to change the name of their team.

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Helmets are not a public forum ... they are part of official school uniforms.
    Crosses around necks ...yes
    ...on unforms ...no.
    actually it is a public forum. they are playing a football game in a public space in a public arena that makes it a public forum.
    SCOTUS says you are wrong. deal with it.

    that you are offended by a cross that you think is fake says more about you than the players on the team.

    it is not a permanment change to the uniform. it was a sticker easily removed. i would encourage the team to play with them anyway. to stand up for their rights.
    1st amendment says you are wrong and overrides anything that you say.

    the kids have a right to free speech that includes putting a cross if they wish on their helmets.

    better yet get armbands with crosses then you can't bitch about it.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    Since the two players are gone, modifying the cross into a minus sign would make more sense than a plus sign.

    Weighing in: the crosses wouldn't bother me in the least. Next, people will be wanting the Saints to change the name of their team.
    the saints are a private organization. although it wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't try.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    So what you are endorsing is an active opposition to religious expression, which itself violates the 1st amendment.

    I guess you would also be in favor of removing these religious symbols from this public land?
    You did not complete the thought.
    What I am endorsing is an active opposition to religious expression AT A STATE RUN SCHOOL.
    Funny how you chose to omit that part.
    Yes... I would be in favor of removing religious symbols, of any kind, from public land .

  5. #45
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    a violation of a constitutional right such as freedom of religion and practice thereof is an injury that these students suffered. the liberty counsel and other should be outraged that people religious rights are being stomped on.

    please see any SCOTUS ruling on this matter. just because you step into a public forum does not mean you give up your 1st amendment rights.

    not only were the kids religious views stepped on but their right to free speech. putting a cross on a helmet is free speech those rights cannot be violated by the state or the government or the FFR no matter how offended they might be.

    your right to be offended doesn't stamp out someone right to free speech.
    Who is the injured party? Who is standing before the court to bring a suit? The liberty counsel claimed they would be honored to bring suit...the only thing missing is the student claiming harm.

    The Constitution says that government will not make any laws abridging the free exercise of religion or free speech. What law did government or the public institution enact?

    If the institution placed the memorial on the helmet and the institution removed the memorial.The NCAA owns all rights to the uniforms and their likeness. If the NCAA told the institution to remove the memorial, then that is their right.

    The student owns nothing but his participation. The student has agreed by contract to adhere to all rules and regulations of the institution.

    The liberty counsel can go to hell.


  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    actually it is a public forum. they are playing a football game in a public space in a public arena that makes it a public forum.
    SCOTUS says you are wrong. deal with it.

    that you are offended by a cross that you think is fake says more about you than the players on the team.

    it is not a permanment change to the uniform. it was a sticker easily removed. i would encourage the team to play with them anyway. to stand up for their rights.
    1st amendment says you are wrong and overrides anything that you say.

    the kids have a right to free speech that includes putting a cross if they wish on their helmets.

    better yet get armbands with crosses then you can't bitch about it.
    As I said before I am fine with arm-bands.
    DEAL WITH THAT.

  7. #47
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    You did not complete the thought.
    What I am endorsing is an active opposition to religious expression AT A STATE RUN SCHOOL.
    Funny how you chose to omit that part.
    Yes... I would be in favor of removing religious symbols, of any kind, from public land .
    You are endorsing the STATE REPRESSION OF RELIGIOUS EXPRESSION which is WHAT THE 1ST AMENDMENT WAS EXPRESSLY WRITTEN TO PREVENT.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #48
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So you wouldn't mind a couple of devout Satanic worshiping football players with a picture of Satan on their helmets as a thoughtful homage to honor a fellow satanic football player that died? It's not endorsing anything, just honoring their friend.
    Nope. But then I am secure enough in my beliefs that I don't feel threatened by other people expressing their religion.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    the athletic department had nothing to do with it neither did the coaches. this was done by the players themselves and the school or the athletic department was not invovled with the decision. you need to read more.
    You are wrong here.
    From the article:

    Barry Weyer, Sr., told me that the players and coaches voluntarily decided to memorialize his son and Owens.
    Coaches are part of the athletic department.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    You are endorsing the STATE REPRESSION OF RELIGIOUS EXPRESSION which is WHAT THE 1ST AMENDMENT WAS EXPRESSLY WRITTEN TO PREVENT.
    Backwards thinking...
    I am endorsing the repression of the state ENDORSING ONE RELIGION OVER ALL OTHERS. That is the spirit and intent of the constitution.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •